Light-O-Rama Forums

Video Software Do You Use?

NJJohn

Merry Christmas all.  I hope everyone had a successful lighting season.  I live on a corner and decorate around three sides of the house and have never been able to get a good video from the ground.  This year, a coworker of mine loaned me his drone and I was finally able to get some great video of my Christmas lights.  Now all I need to do is edit it and overlay the music on it.  What software do people use?  I tried searching on these boards but I am probably using the wrong search parameters because I get everything but what I am looking for.  Looking for some suggestions please.

Thank You

John

I wasn't thinking.  That is an important piece of information to leave out.  I am a PC person but I do have a new ipad pro with 256GB memory so an ipad app would also work.  I have tried iMovie but it seems pretty limited.  Maybe I just need to get more familiar with it.

Personally, I would not even consider using a tablet for video editing.

There are several in the PC arena, but I am watching this thread as much as you are because I would like to see what people are using.  I have used Windows Movie Maker for simple stuff in the past, but it is no longer supported.

Edited by k6ccc

Last year I tried the Drone DJI Phantom4 Pro - beautiful video but the weather was so cold here the night I tested that the Drone and or the lights would freeze. Kept messing up the songs and order. I gave up after the drone landed itself and would never get the green lights for flight.

This year he had so much rain I never even thought about the drone. I made my videos on my Iphone7 and 2 other video cameras and the iPhone took the best videos.

Hopefully next year the weather will be better (like normal) and the drone will get back up. There are 5 airports in my flight zone. LOL

All of that I forgot the subject Cyberlink Power Director is what I use.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

28 minutes ago, MikeERWNC said:

Sony Vegas Platinum.

I paid for SVP but found it to complex for my simple mind.

Found Cyber Director a lot easier 

JR

I use VLC media Player. I can fully edit , add sound, Sinc and so on with it. I found this to be the best for me.

If the file format is not recognized by VLC ( which is not to offtin ) I use wondershare dvd maker to convert to any file format I need it to be.

Hope this helps

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I decided on CyberLink Director and just purchased it.  Going to download now and do some editing this evening.  I let you all know how it went and hopefully post some videos.

Thank you all again and have a Happy New Year.

John

20 minutes ago, NJJohn said:

I decided on CyberLink Director and just purchased it.

Which version did you end up buying?  I'm using a watered-down free version that came with some computer hardware that I bought a few yrs ago.  I'm thinking of upgrading to the Ultra version for $69.99 (regular price is $99.99 and the sale price ends today).

I used Cyberlink Platinum (I think it was Platinum, anyway) for a couple of work projects last year (one was the Christmas/Holiday greeting video the company sent put, so I felt pretty good about that!). I found it pretty intuitive and easy to use and there's a pretty active user community for templates and plugins, etc.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:33 PM, Speedster said:

Which version did you end up buying?  I'm using a watered-down free version that came with some computer hardware that I bought a few yrs ago.  I'm thinking of upgrading to the Ultra version for $69.99 (regular price is $99.99 and the sale price ends today).

Speedster, my apologies.  I didn't see this response come in.  I purchased the Ultra version for $69.99.  Working with it now so I'm still learning what it can do.  Seems pretty straight forward based on the limited time I have been able to spend with it.

3 hours ago, NJJohn said:

Speedster, my apologies.  I didn't see this response come in.  I purchased the Ultra version for $69.99.  Working with it now so I'm still learning what it can do.  Seems pretty straight forward based on the limited time I have been able to spend with it.

No problem, looks like they extended the sale until Jan 7.  But I'll probably have to wait to buy it because I've been having problems with my computer for quite a while, so I won't buy anything until I get a new computer.

I use Adobe Premiere Elements (bundled with Photoshop Elements) because I like the price and the apps encourage creativity and require learning, a lot.

I also have been using CyberLink Power Director for about 5 years now.  A nice program with lots of features.   I used to use Adobe (which I call Adoppy) and it was difficult for me to use, but just my opinion.  It may have gotten better in the last few years.

• The topic was locked