Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie needs help before purchase

Joshb

I tried searching for a similar topic first, but couldn't find anything, I might have messed that up too. I've been using a mr Christmas setup and I'm looking to purchase the TSO Showtime central package since I'm not comfortable with jumping into the pc stuff yet. My comfort zone is plug and play right now. My main question is what extra cables do I need to run an extra controller (2 total)? I want to buy everything needed in one shot. I ran 25k leds this year and it will be 30,500 next year with the LOR. Might be a stupid question, but this stuff is a whole other ballpark for me. Thanks in advance for the help.

21 minutes ago, Joshb said:

I tried searching for a similar topic first, but couldn't find anything, I might have messed that up too. I've been using a mr Christmas setup and I'm looking to purchase the TSO Showtime central package since I'm not comfortable with jumping into the pc stuff yet. My comfort zone is plug and play right now. My main question is what extra cables do I need to run an extra controller (2 total)? I want to buy everything needed in one shot. I ran 25k leds this year and it will be 30,500 next year with the LOR. Might be a stupid question, but this stuff is a whole other ballpark for me. Thanks in advance for the help.

Your basic license will get you enough to use 2 controllers. You may want to opt for the "Can Modify" show from LOR. I believe everything else required is included in the TSO starter pack.

If you can afford it though you may want to just jump right into Pro license.

You will need an extra Cat5 cable for the 2nd controller.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

That's exactly what I started out with last year...TSO ShowTime Central with 2 controllers.  I ended up getting a 3rd controller.

You will need another Cat 5 cable to connect the 2 controllers to each other.  Basically whenever you decide to add another controller, you'll need another Cat 5 cable.  (You also have the option of going wireless with ELLs to avoid long cable runs). 

You might also want to consider buying the 12V wall transformer for the MiniDirector.  That way you can plug it into a timer to start and end the show at specific times.  That also allows you to keep all the light controllers plugged in and powered without having to worry about them supplying power to the MiniDirector (which would keep the show running constantly).

Although the TSO package is nice. I would wait to buy until the LOR spring sale. In the mean time you could download the S4 version and one of the more experienced guys can run you through sequencing.  Once you see how easy it is with the AC controllers you may want more than plug and play. 

To do the S4 demo is free. Won’t cost you anything. There are a lot of videos on you tube also I used this guy to start was easy. One last thing when you buy just get the PRO it will save some headaches. 

Thanks. I planned on getting the card that I can change the sequencing when I feel ready for it. I'm just absorbing all the information and tips right now. I'll take your advice though, much appreciated.

Oh yes this was my first year and even though by the sounds of it you have extension cords get more.  SPT1 was my friend this year went through 750ft of it. I already had around a 1000 ft  before I started.

Only two controllers. Just 7 mini trees and large 10 ft trees are spaced in a straight line in a 50 ft area which took 500 ft of SpT1

Edited by ~DOC~

• 1 month later...

SPT1 wire and vampire plugs/sockets are a very good investment if running AC Controllers. I wish to comment on the Mr Christmas vs LOR... Mr Christmas will make a simple display go but you are extremely limited to their programming. LOR however gives you the ability to control everything at the professional level. With LOR, you become an "Artist in Lights" as its all in your imagination, how its going to run and appear to those who watch. Truly, it gives you personal pride when hearing kids sing along with your music/lights.

As for ELL's, I have a lot of them but had to remove them and run direct cables, due to interference. It caused some elements/props to do their own thing! I'd love to use them again but not sure I will ever be able to do so.

• 4 months later...

Ok, well a lot has changed. How many controllers can you run on the TSO sd card show? I started helping a local guy with his display changing everything over to pixels and in exchange for my labor, he's been giving me his old LED's and controllers. I saw that you can add up to 3 controllers in addition to the starter kit for a total of 4 controllers (64 channels). Though, on the preview video they list multiple controllers using up to 6 controllers (96 channels). On that specific show card, can I use 96 channels? Again, not modifying the card (yet), just plugging it in. 

On 2/8/2019 at 7:08 AM, dgrant said:

SPT1 wire and vampire plugs/sockets are a very good investment if running AC Controllers. I wish to comment on the Mr Christmas vs LOR... Mr Christmas will make a simple display go but you are extremely limited to their programming. LOR however gives you the ability to control everything at the professional level. With LOR, you become an "Artist in Lights" as its all in your imagination, how its going to run and appear to those who watch. Truly, it gives you personal pride when hearing kids sing along with your music/lights.

As for ELL's, I have a lot of them but had to remove them and run direct cables, due to interference. It caused some elements/props to do their own thing! I'd love to use them again but not sure I will ever be able to do so.

I've actually just recently got to order some SPT-1 and vampire plugs and have gotten a little experience in making some cords for this year. I'm learning a lot as of late.

13 minutes ago, Joshb said:

Ok, well a lot has changed. How many controllers can you run on the TSO sd card show? I started helping a local guy with his display changing everything over to pixels and in exchange for my labor, he's been giving me his old LED's and controllers. I saw that you can add up to 3 controllers in addition to the starter kit for a total of 4 controllers (64 channels). Though, on the preview video they list multiple controllers using up to 6 controllers (96 channels). On that specific show card, can I use 96 channels? Again, not modifying the card (yet), just plugging it in. 

You can add as many controllers as you can buy but you will have to add the extra controllers to the sequence and either sequence them or copy paste.

However you must have the “unlocked” LOR sequence SD card to view or make changes to the sequence. There is a price difference for the unlocked version.

Or you can add more lights for props to your currently useable controllers.

Mr Christmas’s and the jail broken Mr. Christmas’s is no comparison to what you can I with LOR controllers.

JR

I got into this in January.  Everyone warned me that it is addicting, and boy they were not kidding!  I said I wouldn't do pixels, but changed my mind once I bought some at the Spring Sale to experiment.  Like the look of them.  I will be running pixels and AC this year.  I was advised to just go with the pro license and I'm glad I did.  Sequencing can be overwhelming but the folks in this forum are more than helpful even when you have ridiculous questions and are not very clear with what you want.  Learning the terminology is critical too.  Otherwise this might as well be in French.  

My favorite item so far are the 10 watt Floods.  I set them up as landscape lighting and can theme my house to every holiday!  Lit it up blue for Police awareness week and Fathers Day, Pink for Mothers day, rainbow for Pride Week and will be running my first show for the 4th of July.

This is truly a hobby worth trying.  The end results make the trouble of getting there worth it.  I run samples every few nights to see it all come together and already the kids in my neighborhood are coming to check it out.  If I get time, I will add in a few surprises for them.  I even found a topic on here on how to get a fog machine to work on the LOR commands.  It is an amazing effect!

Have fun with it and I hope you are able to learn as much as I have in such a short amount of time!

Pride.jpg

1 minute ago, Joshb said:

Ok, otherwise they won't do anything? So 64 channels is the max, correct?

It depends on if the card is locked or not. 

In this hobby they will do whatever you design as long as you have the correct license level and want to learn.

JR

3 minutes ago, Mike Anderson said:

I got into this in January.  Everyone warned me that it is addicting, and boy they were not kidding!  I said I wouldn't do pixels, but changed my mind once I bought some at the Spring Sale to experiment.  Like the look of them.  I will be running pixels and AC this year.  I was advised to just go with the pro license and I'm glad I did.  Sequencing can be overwhelming but the folks in this forum are more than helpful even when you have ridiculous questions and are not very clear with what you want.  Learning the terminology is critical too.  Otherwise this might as well be in French.  

My favorite item so far are the 10 watt Floods.  I set them up as landscape lighting and can theme my house to every holiday!  Lit it up blue for Police awareness week and Fathers Day, Pink for Mothers day, rainbow for Pride Week and will be running my first show for the 4th of July.

This is truly a hobby worth trying.  The end results make the trouble of getting there worth it.  I run samples every few nights to see it all come together and already the kids in my neighborhood are coming to check it out.  If I get time, I will add in a few surprises for them.  I even found a topic on here on how to get a fog machine to work on the LOR commands.  It is an amazing effect!

Have fun with it and I hope you are able to learn as much as I have in such a short amount of time!

Pride.jpg

It is pretty overwhelming. I've been decorating for years, but not to this extent with this many channels. I just know I don't have the time or know-how for sequencing yet.

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

It depends on if the card is locked or not. 

In this hobby they will do whatever you design as long as you have the correct license level and want to learn.

JR

I'll be getting the one I can modify and would like to get the pro license off the bat. That's what most people recommend anyway.

4 minutes ago, Joshb said:

It is pretty overwhelming. I've been decorating for years, but not to this extent with this many channels. I just know I don't have the time or know-how for sequencing yet.

That’s why there are some of us that share sequences , to help others get started and they learn by studying what we do.

Visit the “shared sequence” section and ask for what sequences you like.

You only have to buy the mp3.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
Fat fingers