Light-O-Rama Forums

My lights got vandalized last night.

sresener

Is this common

I woke up this morning and now have 20 ft of my led perimeter fence broke, pulled out and cut.

Is this common. I don't leave my lights on late and I use a radio station so I don't blast the neighbours 

They even were smart enough to do it in the corner where my camera doesn't point. 

• Sad 2

I’m not sure if your area but are you sure it’s not a deer?

Ive been deerized but not vandalized.

Not doubting since it’s yours but is it a possibility?

A few years ago I had a “missing” mini tree. Watch the video and a small buck had gotten caught on it and dragged it off into my woods. Found the next day all torn up.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

No the deer around here don't wear shoes :)  we had fresh snow yesterday.

and the wire cuts are clean.

Im good friends with all the neighbours so Ill ask around

Edited by sresener
add to it

Sorry to hear this.  Reports of vandalism & theft were the reasons why I never bothered to put up even a simple static display at our former home in Milwaukee.  You may want to add a few more cameras to monitor every part of your display.

Yah I guess ill set up a couple more camera's. I never thought in a million years that this would happen in such a small community. Our town has a population of 2500.

This will get figured out as not much happens in a small town without eventually getting out. Plus half the police station will be at the new years party this year :)  

But on the bright side I have not touched any lights for three weeks, some morning soldiering was a nice change. 

1 hour ago, sresener said:

Yah I guess ill set up a couple more camera's. I never thought in a million years that this would happen in such a small community. Our town has a population of 2500.

This will get figured out as not much happens in a small town without eventually getting out. Plus half the police station will be at the new years party this year :)  

But on the bright side I have not touched any lights for three weeks, some morning soldiering was a nice change. 

Glad y’all get snow. We had our once in a lifetime snow even last year 8” just before Christmas.

Being from upstate NY I love and miss the snow and the farm.

Wife doesn’t feel the same and only remembers me complaining while at Fort Drum at 4:00am about having to shovel feet of snow. Well who wouldn’t, but she doesn’t get it.

Maybe some 2nd Amendment signs would  prevent any future problems.

JR

This is why my lights ALL cycle all night long after the show ends, not many fools will try to cut into a wire that may go LIVE at anytime.  And I have an assortment of sequences that makes it impossible to know just when they'll turn on or off, and I still keep a small trickle going to them even in the off hours and between fully lighting up during overnight, as well as during the off hours in daylight.  So someone wants to cut my lights, well then don't say you weren't warned, you may just get one hefty jolt of a shock if the strand opts to go FULLY LIVE just before you put those cutters to it! And then you may look like this guy: 🤪

Edited by Orville

I live in Canada there no Second Amendment rights here. 

My lights are all low voltage so cutting the wire would be uneventful. 

Edited by sresener
add to it

4 hours ago, Orville said:

This is why my lights ALL cycle all night long after the show ends, not many fools will try to cut into a wire that may go LIVE at anytime.  And I have an assortment of sequences that makes it impossible to know just when they'll turn on or off, and I still keep a small trickle going to them even in the off hours and between fully lighting up during overnight, as well as during the off hours in daylight.  So someone wants to cut my lights, well then don't say you weren't warned, you may just get one hefty jolt of a shock if the strand opts to go FULLY LIVE just before you put those cutters to it! And then you may look like this guy: 🤪

Sadly no rights for home owners, if someone gets shocked while messing with the lights, then goes a legal claim to sue for personal injury and suffering.

Just saying this is how America has become. Sue happy.

Last year, I would have bet my life someone was cutting some of the lights along my driveway.  Every morning, I'd wake up to find another strand of lights cut. Turned the security cameras that way only to find that Bugs Bunny was having a bite to eat.

Sorry to hear this.  My lights were vandalized this year as well.  So disheartening to know such cruel people would do stuff like this.

I was talking to all the police officers at the new years party last night and they said what happened is very rare. One jokingly suggested "maybe someone had a seizure looking at them and accidentally knocked them over". 

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, Joshb said:

The only trouble I've had with vandalism is squirrels stealing bulbs and end plugs. Had to repair two strands again this year.

Last year I had a squirrel hit one of the LED strings of c9s I had lining the deck. I couldn't find c9s at that point so I got a couple of strands of c7s and two days later the squirrel hit one of THOSE. It was only one light so I patched it up this year and put it at the end of the line and haven't had any issues with it so far. 

This year as we were leaving for the airport, I noticed part of one string had come loose from one of the trees after a pretty good wind and was touching the ground. Didn't think anything of it. We come back a week later and I can see that that entire string is out. I'm thinking I hope it's not a triac. So I go out yesterday with an extension cord to test the string and it's out, so it must be the string. I replace both fuses for good measure, still nothing. I have another string I can put up there for the last couple of days that it will be lit and start taking down the bad string. I find THREE missing lights right about where it was on the ground...chewed right off! I wasn't about to try to figure out how to fix all the loose wires, so I just put it aside to use for replacements for the other string.

I'm still hoping the c7s on the deck make it through un-chewed!   

On 12/30/2018 at 6:47 PM, Santas Helper said:

Sadly no rights for home owners, if someone gets shocked while messing with the lights, then goes a legal claim to sue for personal injury and suffering.

Just saying this is how America has become. Sue happy.

If they're on MY property and found to be "vandalizing". they're not going to win that one.  Especially since #1. It's NOT their property, and #2 what are they doing with wire cutters in hand, up to no good that's what.  So if the fool cuts a live wire, it's on them..

Well I've got to get back off here, th forums is where my browser opens, but a few days ago went to hospital and I have both pneumonia and the flu, what a combo to have at the same time, on so many medicines right now I can't even see straight, vision was already bad, but currently I'm lucky to see much of anything,  Which means my Display won't be coming down  when planned, got to recuperate and get over this mess now.  Back off to bed rest for another 5 or so days.  It's why I haven't been around much on the forums lately.    I'm lucky to have typed this much and hope it makes sense.