Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
~DOC~

New to the pixie

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Ok obviously my lights are not RGB. When I did it in SE

red=green

green = blue

blue = Red

😐

the test produced green then blue then red 

was this with your Sequence or when you pressed the test button on the Pixie?  

If the test button, then you probably have GBR order

In the HU with the controller chosen, click the Cosmic Color/Pixie Config: The set the RGB Order  (affects all ports, so make sure ALL strings are the same config. the evils 😈 of just buying a initial sample)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RGB order is very important with the Pixie since you have to set it for the board and not for each port. Keep that in mind when purchasing pixels and purchase enough from the same vendor to keep the same RGB order and to have a few backup spares. Nothing sucks more when your pixels are GBR and a few go out and the new ones you purchase end up being BRG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

was this with your Sequence or when you pressed the test button on the Pixie?  

If the test button, then you probably have GBR order

In the HU with the controller chosen, click the Cosmic Color/Pixie Config: The set the RGB Order  (affects all ports, so make sure ALL strings are the same config. the evils 😈 of just buying a initial sample)

 

Yes the test did green blue red.  

So your telling me I should buy from the same supplier then?

I have too stop now my shows about to play and at the moment I only have one Dongle

Edited by ~DOC~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

So your telling me I should buy from the same supplier then?

I have too stop now my shows about to play and at the moment I only have one Dongle

That is the simplest.  One source, rather than trying to match different ones to the controller.

I chose HC for my initial buy. So I will probably stick with them. Just keep track of which strings come from what supplier. because the ORDER will be trapped to the controller. 💡 If you do lose a few strings, you could always moe those to a smaller controller, and change the setting on the 16 to use your new order.

And get a (spare) RED dongle👍, you never know when you might need it

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Yes the test did green blue red.  

So your telling me I should buy from the same supplier then?

I have too stop now my shows about to play and at the moment I only have one Dongle

I have all resources you will need!

Ive been using the same supplier for my pixel nodes.

Another for ribbons, cables and the smaller power supplies, boxes , and other stuff

The biggest waste of money was trying to find a cable source. Purchased from Ray but seemed like every order the sizes were dif, trashes.

I will provide you with good sources and prices.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I have all resources you will need!

Ive been using the same supplier for my pixel nodes.

Another for ribbons, cables and the smaller power supplies, boxes , and other stuff

The biggest waste of money was trying to find a cable source. Purchased from Ray but seemed like every order the sizes were dif, trashes.

I will provide you with good sources and prices.

JR

Thanks JR that will be helpful. So now that I see a little bit. I guess I can do this. I now need to get this board in a box with suitable power supply. Your information will be awesome to have. 

Oh yea your pixie setup was spot on. I had some hiccups on pixels (lack of knowledge on my part) but other than that these are great for any newbie. 

I don’t have my next round of likes and thank you until after 8PM but you and the Duck are getting them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

That is the simplest.  One source, rather than trying to match different ones to the controller.

I chose HC for my initial buy. So I will probably stick with them. Just keep track of which strings come from what supplier. because the ORDER will be trapped to the controller. 💡 If you do lose a few strings, you could always moe those to a smaller controller, and change the setting on the 16 to use your new order.

And get a (spare) RED dongle👍, you never know when you might need it

 

 

Thank you.

My next order from Lor will have another dongle. 

As I told JR I will come back later and give you your reaction. Don’t reset until after 8PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Thanks JR that will be helpful. So now that I see a little bit. I guess I can do this. I now need to get this board in a box with suitable power supply. Your information will be awesome to have. 

Oh yea your pixie setup was spot on. I had some hiccups on pixels (lack of knowledge on my part) but other than that these are great for any newbie. 

I don’t have my next round of likes and thank you until after 8PM but you and the Duck are getting them. 

I will work up a parts list and send it to you.

Can provide pics or videos via cell phone as well.

A Pixie16 and power supple is a tight fit in a cg1500. I have done it two different ways but will be changing one of the 15 pixie16’s To match the others.

JR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Your number is good.  You would probably run 2 @ 750's. 1 per bank

Also note. that is getting close to the limit for a 15A wall outlet (2 cords) ~11A using 80% PSU efficiency (might be a bit better, but not much). Personally, I might run that on 240V (I have a 6-20R in the garage for my Radial Arm) That would be a single 3 wire cord, just different plugs/outlet

I just noticed something

a 750  will allow a bank to be overloaded big time. A  pixie16 has a 30A limit per bank . Only use 1 750 for both banks.  If you need more power, you must power inject (and a seperate supply. Just remember to tie the Negatives ONLY together and FUSE each inject leg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheDucks said:

was this with your Sequence or when you pressed the test button on the Pixie?  

If the test button, then you probably have GBR order

In the HU with the controller chosen, click the Cosmic Color/Pixie Config: The set the RGB Order  (affects all ports, so make sure ALL strings are the same config. the evils 😈 of just buying a initial sample)

 

 

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I will work up a parts list and send it to you.

Can provide pics or videos via cell phone as well.

A Pixie16 and power supple is a tight fit in a cg1500. I have done it two different ways but will be changing one of the 15 pixie16’s To match the others.

JR

I delivered as promise both you have been awesome and got my hole allotment of reactions tonight. 

JR I did get your PM thank you. Questions coming....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ~DOC~ said:

 

I delivered as promise both you have been awesome and got my hole allotment of reactions tonight. 

JR I did get your PM thank you. Questions coming....

Any time, you also have my cell #

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not big at talking to people I don’t know. Worried always I will offend. But your number is saved. I may call to get this board in a box and set up. So I don’t worry about screwing it up. I was out tonight at a holiday part and low and behold people new me. My light show. Their kids loved it. Makes it all worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

I am not big at talking to people I don’t know. Worried always I will offend. But your number is saved. I may call to get this board in a box and set up. So I don’t worry about screwing it up. I was out tonight at a holiday part and low and behold people new me. My light show. Their kids loved it. Makes it all worth it.

I haven’t met a stranger and have spoken with hundreds of people here.

No worries text is fine as well.

Prefer text prior to call just to ensure I am not busy. I normally reply fast.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I haven’t met a stranger and have spoken with hundreds of people here.

No worries text is fine as well.

Prefer text prior to call just to ensure I am not busy. I normally reply fast.

JR

Actually for me I might call to chat first. I need to break my egg shell. Don’t feel right just calling for help. 

Of course chat about lights common thing

Edited by ~DOC~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 9:08 PM, dibblejr said:

If you have questions in where to buy affordable power supplies ect feel free to ask me.

I have built 30+ pixies so I may have sources.

As well as any questions. I could build, configure a pixie anything in my sleep.

JR

JR,

I would like the diagram or layout on how to install a pixie 8.  I saw a sample video that you posted on another thread that link to Vimeo to see other videos.  Vimeo stayed I could not see the vids. So if you could send me the video or whatever you have so I can wire the board up correctly I would greatly appreciate it.  I purchased the pix8 and plan on purchasing 3 more pix8 and 4 pix16 during the summer sale.  My thought was to figure out how to make this 8 work now.  Change my current ac channels out for pixels and re use the ac channels and lights for additional props. The. Spend the next month learning to sequence and upgrading for s4pro to s5 to do the pixels.

i have purchased so far is:

pixie8, holiday coro box, wire, power core, and 350w ps, 500 pixels from amazon, and 10 18g pigtails.  Please advise if I need anything else to wire the board.  Thank you again for the grinch singing faces you sent my kids love the new prop.  My email is Traed128@gmail.com 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Traed128 said:

JR,

I would like the diagram or layout on how to install a pixie 8.  I saw a sample video that you posted on another thread that link to Vimeo to see other videos.  Vimeo stayed I could not see the vids. So if you could send me the video or whatever you have so I can wire the board up correctly I would greatly appreciate it.  I purchased the pix8 and plan on purchasing 3 more pix8 and 4 pix16 during the summer sale.  My thought was to figure out how to make this 8 work now.  Change my current ac channels out for pixels and re use the ac channels and lights for additional props. The. Spend the next month learning to sequence and upgrading for s4pro to s5 to do the pixels.

i have purchased so far is:

pixie8, holiday coro box, wire, power core, and 350w ps, 500 pixels from amazon, and 10 18g pigtails.  Please advise if I need anything else to wire the board.  Thank you again for the grinch singing faces you sent my kids love the new prop.  My email is Traed128@gmail.com 

 

I’ve never had anyone say they couldn’t view them but here is part 1. They were made for my friend Steve here and sent via text so that’s why they are about 1 min long.

 Someday when I find time I will have to make it an uncut video.

Here is part 1 from there you can see the rest.

Note- the video is of a pixie4, they will all be the same with the exception of the power supply wattage and the physical size of the card and number of unit ID’s they consume.

I would recommend at least the below psu’s.

1- pixie4  350w

2- pixie8 500

3- pixie16 -  700+ , all of mine and the ones I have built for others are all 750+ wattage (you may get away with 500 depending on the sequence)

Let me know if you have questions via PM.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Traed128 said:

JR,

I would like the diagram or layout on how to install a pixie 8.  I saw a sample video that you posted on another thread that link to Vimeo to see other videos.  Vimeo stayed I could not see the vids. So if you could send me the video or whatever you have so I can wire the board up correctly I would greatly appreciate it.  I purchased the pix8 and plan on purchasing 3 more pix8 and 4 pix16 during the summer sale.  My thought was to figure out how to make this 8 work now.  Change my current ac channels out for pixels and re use the ac channels and lights for additional props. The. Spend the next month learning to sequence and upgrading for s4pro to s5 to do the pixels.

i have purchased so far is:

pixie8, holiday coro box, wire, power core, and 350w ps, 500 pixels from amazon, and 10 18g pigtails.  Please advise if I need anything else to wire the board.  Thank you again for the grinch singing faces you sent my kids love the new prop.  My email is Traed128@gmail.com 

 

The thing in your post that jumped out at me was PIGTAILS. IMHO they are good. BUT! !!(you knew that was coming 😜)

There are no standards. PERIOD.  LOR has theirs, HC has theirs. And others. (I am not just talking 3 vs 4 pin ). Size, Key style and orientation of pins with respect to key. I think I have even seen the Male pins vs Female housing thing.

If you want to keep any hair you have, you will stick with  your PIGTAIL vendor from now on (unless there is an obvious physical difference. like my LOR floods  and the rest). I went with HC's system (before they started shipping strings WITH connectors), simply because they looked like they would be there next year with more when I needed them (and boy-o-boy have I kept adding stuff) and not some e-bay bloke who might be just clearance sales.  I  skipped Ray Wu only because I buy tiny quantities.

The other thing I would emphasize: STRAIN RELIEF (See linked photo. Pixie 8 in a HC/CG1500  with pigtails)  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BjuuMb1R5x0u-NmzX4J3vtB6zNKjtqf5/view?usp=sharing

Note I used 1" Romex connectors to secure the pigtails, a LOR CAT5 pigtail, and ferrets on the wire ends  I mount my Power supplies external https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W8ZQqHTVUMmyhqXlQWICX9rUHAQdGiKx/view?usp=sharing , leaves more room inside (2 CMB, or a Pixie8 and a CMB in this case)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

The thing in your post that jumped out at me was PIGTAILS. IMHO they are good. BUT! !!(you knew that was coming 😜)

There are no standards. PERIOD.  LOR has theirs, HC has theirs. And others. (I am not just talking 3 vs 4 pin ). Size, Key style and orientation of pins with respect to key. I think I have even seen the Male pins vs Female housing thing.

If you want to keep any hair you have, you will stick with  your PIGTAIL vendor from now on (unless there is an obvious physical difference. like my LOR floods  and the rest). I went with HC's system (before they started shipping strings WITH connectors), simply because they looked like they would be there next year with more when I needed them (and boy-o-boy have I kept adding stuff) and not some e-bay bloke who might be just clearance sales.  I  skipped Ray Wu only because I buy tiny quantities.

The other thing I would emphasize: STRAIN RELIEF (See linked photo. Pixie 8 in a HC/CG1500  with pigtails)  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BjuuMb1R5x0u-NmzX4J3vtB6zNKjtqf5/view?usp=sharing

Note I used 1" Romex connectors to secure the pigtails, a LOR CAT5 pigtail, and ferrets on the wire ends  I mount my Power supplies external https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W8ZQqHTVUMmyhqXlQWICX9rUHAQdGiKx/view?usp=sharing , leaves more room inside (2 CMB, or a Pixie8 and a CMB in this case)

ok I will purchase the pigtails in bulk to plan for future expansion.  the external is it weather proof?  Jr stated 500 for the 8 and 750 for the 16.  Will I have to power inject if I run 100 pixels per channel with the 500 on the 8?  if so do I power inject from the existing power supply or add power supplies?  where do you get your power supplies from?  I bought the 350W with the holiday coro kit.  Now I see I need a 500W.  So I will add a pix 4 to the summer sale list to go with the 350W I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I’ve never had anyone say they couldn’t view them but here is part 1. They were made for my friend Steve here and sent via text so that’s why they are about 1 min long.

 Someday when I find time I will have to make it an uncut video.

Here is part 1 from there you can see the rest.

Note- the video is of a pixie4, they will all be the same with the exception of the power supply wattage and the physical size of the card and number of unit ID’s they consume.

I would recommend at least the below psu’s.

1- pixie4  350w

2- pixie8 500

3- pixie16 -  700+ , all of mine and the ones I have built for others are all 750+ wattage (you may get away with 500 depending on the sequence)

Let me know if you have questions via PM.

JR

sent you a PM

20 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

The thing in your post that jumped out at me was PIGTAILS. IMHO they are good. BUT! !!(you knew that was coming 😜)

There are no standards. PERIOD.  LOR has theirs, HC has theirs. And others. (I am not just talking 3 vs 4 pin ). Size, Key style and orientation of pins with respect to key. I think I have even seen the Male pins vs Female housing thing.

If you want to keep any hair you have, you will stick with  your PIGTAIL vendor from now on (unless there is an obvious physical difference. like my LOR floods  and the rest). I went with HC's system (before they started shipping strings WITH connectors), simply because they looked like they would be there next year with more when I needed them (and boy-o-boy have I kept adding stuff) and not some e-bay bloke who might be just clearance sales.  I  skipped Ray Wu only because I buy tiny quantities.

The other thing I would emphasize: STRAIN RELIEF (See linked photo. Pixie 8 in a HC/CG1500  with pigtails)  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BjuuMb1R5x0u-NmzX4J3vtB6zNKjtqf5/view?usp=sharing

Note I used 1" Romex connectors to secure the pigtails, a LOR CAT5 pigtail, and ferrets on the wire ends  I mount my Power supplies external https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W8ZQqHTVUMmyhqXlQWICX9rUHAQdGiKx/view?usp=sharing , leaves more room inside (2 CMB, or a Pixie8 and a CMB in this case)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Traed128 said:

ok I will purchase the pigtails in bulk to plan for future expansion.  the external is it weather proof?  Jr stated 500 for the 8 and 750 for the 16.  Will I have to power inject if I run 100 pixels per channel with the 500 on the 8?  if so do I power inject from the existing power supply or add power supplies?  where do you get your power supplies from?  I bought the 350W with the holiday coro kit.  Now I see I need a 500W.  So I will add a pix 4 to the summer sale list to go with the 350W I have.

Both the LOR one and the HC ones are rain resistant when mounted per directions.  You have options. other than the Pixie4, LOR controllers have BANKS. These need not even be powered from the same supply (and in some cases, voltage).  I just use 2 rather than1 big one.YMMV And I have a SPARE 👍 (another reason for setting your personal equipment standards. I could probably swap a bad out in under 10 minutes and that includes grabbing the tool bag and spare on the way out the door. OK I did prep the spare with ferrels  and my L bkt I use at the top mount)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW The need for Power injection has multiple reasons:

Voltage drop (more critical at 5V),: wire size. string length

Current: Node count, Port Amp capacity,  Bus Capacity (you can't max out all ports in a bank),  Wire size (again)

I spent 40Y as a r&D (little R and a lot of D as my engineer would say 😛 ). I lean toward SOLID vs just get it working

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

The thing in your post that jumped out at me was PIGTAILS. IMHO they are good. BUT! !!(you knew that was coming 😜)

There are no standards. PERIOD.  LOR has theirs, HC has theirs. And others. (I am not just talking 3 vs 4 pin ). Size, Key style and orientation of pins with respect to key. I think I have even seen the Male pins vs Female housing thing.

If you want to keep any hair you have, you will stick with  your PIGTAIL vendor from now on (unless there is an obvious physical difference. like my LOR floods  and the rest). I went with HC's system (before they started shipping strings WITH connectors), simply because they looked like they would be there next year with more when I needed them (and boy-o-boy have I kept adding stuff) and not some e-bay bloke who might be just clearance sales.  I  skipped Ray Wu only because I buy tiny quantities.

The other thing I would emphasize: STRAIN RELIEF (See linked photo. Pixie 8 in a HC/CG1500  with pigtails)  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BjuuMb1R5x0u-NmzX4J3vtB6zNKjtqf5/view?usp=sharing

Note I used 1" Romex connectors to secure the pigtails, a LOR CAT5 pigtail, and ferrets on the wire ends  I mount my Power supplies external https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W8ZQqHTVUMmyhqXlQWICX9rUHAQdGiKx/view?usp=sharing , leaves more room inside (2 CMB, or a Pixie8 and a CMB in this case)

Never buy just pigtails.

I have been buying the longest extensions from HC since my Ray William problem with supply.

Cut one end, that is the pigtail. The other cut end goes to the pixels/ strips.

They are more robust than others on the market. When I beta tested LOR had nothing but the boards. Had to venture and the warning I got from my friends here “the pigtails was gonna be the largest waste of $. I didn’t believe them until Ray changed his inventory and the original ones I purchased no longer matched with the next.

I use several combinations of strain relief. I imagine that’s why LOR has smaller wires. There is no way that in a standard box like the CG1500 you will get 16 Hac cables through one hole and keep the box in tact.

I prefer using rubber grommets to line the hole , straps inside the box. And once I secure the box to the prop or whatever the cables get ziptied in several places to the props.

The extension cords do not get ziptied . This prevents someone rod tripping on the cord and breaking something inside the controller. I do that with my cat5 as well.

It is more secure to the prop than the cables. The data ports are more fragile and get more zipties.

it’s all discussed in my videos.

On another note, I do not seal the data cable hole. A lot of my pixies are up year round, the others get stored in my barn. 

The hole (s) in the bottom act as a way to let any moisture that may get inside to drain or air out. As far as critters, other than a spider here or there I haven’t had a problem.

In the beginning I did use the exact same compression type seal, strain relief. I probably have 50 of them in my tool box. After the second build I didn’t find them necessary.

I based my opinion on the fact that I have several AC controllers that the rubber boot had come out and never seen moisture.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...