Light-O-Rama Forums

New to the pixie

~DOC~

8 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

Yea I figured I was going to have to add a couple more plugs to the house. Anytime I add a breaker to a house I usually go with 20 amp (12-2). Why construction companies use 15 amp is beyond me. The cost is negligible. 

Wait can LOR run off 220? I thought it was only 120....

The (right) PSU's can run off 220. They supply 12V to LOR.  (You could run Pixies or a CMB24 from a car battery, but at those power levels, it might last 15min). The advantages of 220V is smaller wire or ability to do longer runs without having to bump wire size..

While, you could buy  a European version of the CTB16PC, the strings would also have to be 230V. Now that we have switched to LEDs, most don't push the limits of 1 cord (per bank), let alone 2 cords. BUT those would be more expensive due to shipping and all the cords would be different (Only industrial/construction cords come wit L6 series ends)

15A breakers(and 14Ga wire) are mostly used on Lighting circuits. Only dedicated equipment (Furnace, Dishwasher,Microwave) might get 15A Mostly because the wire costs less and contractors squeeze pennies.

I've rewired 3 houses. Pulled at least a dozen electrical nightmares out of this house (Major code violations:fire hazards, reversed wires). , I've worked on everything from 5VDC to 480 3-phase)

1 hour ago, ~DOC~ said:

Ugh knew it  I bought 2 strings of Ws2811 12v but not sure about 400khz or 800khz? Document does not state.

Try 800 first (I thin that is the present standard) . If they make errors when pressing the test/reset button. switch to 400.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Try 800 first (I thin that is the present standard) . If they make errors when pressing the test/reset button. switch to 400.

Ok obviously my lights are not RGB. When I did it in SE

red=green

green = blue

blue = Red

😐

the test produced green then blue then red 

2 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Ok obviously my lights are not RGB. When I did it in SE

red=green

green = blue

blue = Red

😐

the test produced green then blue then red 

was this with your Sequence or when you pressed the test button on the Pixie?  

If the test button, then you probably have GBR order

In the HU with the controller chosen, click the Cosmic Color/Pixie Config: The set the RGB Order  (affects all ports, so make sure ALL strings are the same config. the evils 😈 of just buying a initial sample)

• Like 1

RGB order is very important with the Pixie since you have to set it for the board and not for each port. Keep that in mind when purchasing pixels and purchase enough from the same vendor to keep the same RGB order and to have a few backup spares. Nothing sucks more when your pixels are GBR and a few go out and the new ones you purchase end up being BRG.

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

In the HU with the controller chosen, click the Cosmic Color/Pixie Config: The set the RGB Order  (affects all ports, so make sure ALL strings are the same config. the evils 😈 of just buying a initial sample)

Yes the test did green blue red.  

So your telling me I should buy from the same supplier then?

I have too stop now my shows about to play and at the moment I only have one Dongle

Edited by ~DOC~

2 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

I have too stop now my shows about to play and at the moment I only have one Dongle

That is the simplest.  One source, rather than trying to match different ones to the controller.

I chose HC for my initial buy. So I will probably stick with them. Just keep track of which strings come from what supplier. because the ORDER will be trapped to the controller. 💡 If you do lose a few strings, you could always moe those to a smaller controller, and change the setting on the 16 to use your new order.

And get a (spare) RED dongle👍, you never know when you might need it

19 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Yes the test did green blue red.  

I have all resources you will need!

Ive been using the same supplier for my pixel nodes.

Another for ribbons, cables and the smaller power supplies, boxes , and other stuff

The biggest waste of money was trying to find a cable source. Purchased from Ray but seemed like every order the sizes were dif, trashes.

I will provide you with good sources and prices.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I have all resources you will need!

Ive been using the same supplier for my pixel nodes.

Another for ribbons, cables and the smaller power supplies, boxes , and other stuff

The biggest waste of money was trying to find a cable source. Purchased from Ray but seemed like every order the sizes were dif, trashes.

I will provide you with good sources and prices.

JR

Thanks JR that will be helpful. So now that I see a little bit. I guess I can do this. I now need to get this board in a box with suitable power supply. Your information will be awesome to have. 

Oh yea your pixie setup was spot on. I had some hiccups on pixels (lack of knowledge on my part) but other than that these are great for any newbie. 

I don’t have my next round of likes and thank you until after 8PM but you and the Duck are getting them. 

28 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

That is the simplest.  One source, rather than trying to match different ones to the controller.

I chose HC for my initial buy. So I will probably stick with them. Just keep track of which strings come from what supplier. because the ORDER will be trapped to the controller. 💡 If you do lose a few strings, you could always moe those to a smaller controller, and change the setting on the 16 to use your new order.

And get a (spare) RED dongle👍, you never know when you might need it

Thank you.

My next order from Lor will have another dongle. 

As I told JR I will come back later and give you your reaction. Don’t reset until after 8PM

3 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Thanks JR that will be helpful. So now that I see a little bit. I guess I can do this. I now need to get this board in a box with suitable power supply. Your information will be awesome to have. 

Oh yea your pixie setup was spot on. I had some hiccups on pixels (lack of knowledge on my part) but other than that these are great for any newbie. 

I don’t have my next round of likes and thank you until after 8PM but you and the Duck are getting them. 

I will work up a parts list and send it to you.

Can provide pics or videos via cell phone as well.

A Pixie16 and power supple is a tight fit in a cg1500. I have done it two different ways but will be changing one of the 15 pixie16’s To match the others.

JR

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Your number is good.  You would probably run 2 @ 750's. 1 per bank

Also note. that is getting close to the limit for a 15A wall outlet (2 cords) ~11A using 80% PSU efficiency (might be a bit better, but not much). Personally, I might run that on 240V (I have a 6-20R in the garage for my Radial Arm) That would be a single 3 wire cord, just different plugs/outlet

I just noticed something

a 750  will allow a bank to be overloaded big time. A  pixie16 has a 30A limit per bank . Only use 1 750 for both banks.  If you need more power, you must power inject (and a seperate supply. Just remember to tie the Negatives ONLY together and FUSE each inject leg

5 hours ago, TheDucks said:

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I will work up a parts list and send it to you.

Can provide pics or videos via cell phone as well.

A Pixie16 and power supple is a tight fit in a cg1500. I have done it two different ways but will be changing one of the 15 pixie16’s To match the others.

JR

I delivered as promise both you have been awesome and got my hole allotment of reactions tonight. 

JR I did get your PM thank you. Questions coming....

Just now, ~DOC~ said:

I delivered as promise both you have been awesome and got my hole allotment of reactions tonight. 

JR I did get your PM thank you. Questions coming....

Any time, you also have my cell #

JR

I am not big at talking to people I don’t know. Worried always I will offend. But your number is saved. I may call to get this board in a box and set up. So I don’t worry about screwing it up. I was out tonight at a holiday part and low and behold people new me. My light show. Their kids loved it. Makes it all worth it.

10 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

I am not big at talking to people I don’t know. Worried always I will offend. But your number is saved. I may call to get this board in a box and set up. So I don’t worry about screwing it up. I was out tonight at a holiday part and low and behold people new me. My light show. Their kids loved it. Makes it all worth it.

I haven’t met a stranger and have spoken with hundreds of people here.

No worries text is fine as well.

Prefer text prior to call just to ensure I am not busy. I normally reply fast.

JR

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I haven’t met a stranger and have spoken with hundreds of people here.

No worries text is fine as well.

Prefer text prior to call just to ensure I am not busy. I normally reply fast.

JR

Actually for me I might call to chat first. I need to break my egg shell. Don’t feel right just calling for help. 

Of course chat about lights common thing

Edited by ~DOC~

• 11 months later...
On 12/28/2018 at 9:08 PM, dibblejr said:

If you have questions in where to buy affordable power supplies ect feel free to ask me.

I have built 30+ pixies so I may have sources.

As well as any questions. I could build, configure a pixie anything in my sleep.

JR

JR,

I would like the diagram or layout on how to install a pixie 8.  I saw a sample video that you posted on another thread that link to Vimeo to see other videos.  Vimeo stayed I could not see the vids. So if you could send me the video or whatever you have so I can wire the board up correctly I would greatly appreciate it.  I purchased the pix8 and plan on purchasing 3 more pix8 and 4 pix16 during the summer sale.  My thought was to figure out how to make this 8 work now.  Change my current ac channels out for pixels and re use the ac channels and lights for additional props. The. Spend the next month learning to sequence and upgrading for s4pro to s5 to do the pixels.

i have purchased so far is:

pixie8, holiday coro box, wire, power core, and 350w ps, 500 pixels from amazon, and 10 18g pigtails.  Please advise if I need anything else to wire the board.  Thank you again for the grinch singing faces you sent my kids love the new prop.  My email is Traed128@gmail.com