Light-O-Rama Forums

Entering the RGB world

BCBjorklund

Hi All,

Well, I am headed to the RGB side. Now how do I do that? I plan on RGB icycles with dumb rgb, and ridge line with rgb bulbs.

What do I use and how?

My friend is using falcon, can they be mixed with LOR?

Thanks,

Bruce

The first thing you need to decide is whether you want to stay on the LOR side or venture over to the E1.31 side. They both have their advantages and disadvantages but the decision needs to be made as that will determine the type of controller you will use.

Edited by Mr. P

The advantage vs disadvantage?

I have 7 lor controllers for LEDs and 1 RGB controller for floods

Edited by BCBjorklund

17 minutes ago, BCBjorklund said:

When you say "getting into the RGB world" are you talking dumb RGB or smart as in pixels?

If you are talking pixels then yes, you need to decide.

The LOR side is pretty much limited to the Pixcon which requires a Pro license and the Pixie series where a Pro license is recommended. The LOR side is limited by speed and number of pixels on a network as you may need several networks.

The E1.31 side is much much faster so speed is not a factor nor the number of pixels. However, you cannot daisychain controllers and distance is limited. You must also have a basic knowledge of networking.

LOR side - Pixcon Pixie's.

E1.31 side - Falcon, Alphapix, Sans, Pixlite.

Pixcon will work on both LOR and E1.31 with a Pro License.

1 hour ago, BCBjorklund said:

I don't differentiate what kind of bulbs attached to AC controllers. Your CMB 24  needs some siblings :)

I Started(RGB)  with the LOR Flood package from a Spring Sale   and went down hill fast (who can only have ONE).  Added another CMB-24 for bullets and did not even make it to the season, before I ordered another (that one is on the chimney for the ridge lines and the only spare RGB port I have.)

SMART RGB has its own issues. Controllers need to be fairly close to the first node, so BIggER is not always beTTer.

Hit the LOR spring sale Hit it HARD and to h*ll with the budget. You can eat cheap for a couple of months. 😜

• Haha 1

Ok so I am going to want control each node/pixel and color.

I want to stay with the lor software.

I plan on doing just the ridge lines and edges-gutters.

29 minutes ago, BCBjorklund said:

Ok so I am going to want control each node/pixel and color.

I want to stay with the lor software.

I plan on doing just the ridge lines and edges-gutters.

Pixie series would be your most affordable and easy to use LOR product. For SMART pixels

Take a look at my thread Pixie16 Configuration step by step. Admins added my video last night. Very easy to set up.

If just your roof you can use multiple controllers pixie4's - depends on the size of your house and where you want the controllers.

I add my roofline RGB between Halloween and Christmas - I have videos posted in the forums of my Christmas show. 

Easy stuff.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

My roof edge gutters perimeter is approx 285 ft. And my roof is a hip and cale with about 280ft if ridge lines.

My roof edge gutters perimeter is approx 285 ft. And my roof is a hip and cable with about 280ft if ridge lines. My website has my 2017 show Bjork-Xmas.com

I am installing a sub panel with outlets under the eves at each corner of house up and down. I will have 8 independent outlets on 15 amp gfi breakers to supply power. I can put one controller on center of roof attached to the vents.

We occasionally get up to 60 mph gusts if ind so It all has to be tide/anchored really godd.

Edited by BCBjorklund

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to calculate controllers and lights RGB.. Could use some help or an example how to calculate

Roofline2.jpg

How much of That roofline can be viewed by on lookers?

Thats gonna be  lot of controllers of pI or both.

My roofline pixels are 12’ 5” long. Mounted on pvc and use pvc to hold it in place. They are going to be year round.

JR

They make a bracket that connects to the Ridge and another clips into it then the 1/2inch PVC clips into it. Can't remember the vendor that sales the bracket/clips. I'll have to look around for it.

The Front and Rt side are all  visible from the Street, the back left is only visible from The back but that is also visible from the lake that I live on. so to just to a portion is difficult.

If you zoom in on the pic I placed a outlet symbol where I am hardwiring outlets in in the eves and they will each be on separate circuits. So power is not an issue yet

I prefer to stay with LOR but a couple of people have recommended to venture out? If I can get same affects I am staying the route I started.

You can make your own brackets for pvc conduit- out of the same pvc you use. 

Just by cutting a bit of it lengthwise.to open them up when you press the pvc into it.

One screw will hold them in place to your structure. Just press the pvc into the bracket - done

If 1/2” pvc conduit just cut 1/4” out lengthwise. The sections do not need to be big- a couple “ long and you do not need many depending on length of run

Keep it simple- stay LOR- superior customer support, warranty etc.

Also I do not use Ray Wu- I prefer getting pixels , cables, connectors all from the US. I wasted a lot of $ on Ray along with the added time and negotiating shipping costs.

I get everything I need right here in the US, yes they are Chinese made- what’s not but they are here and normally free shipping.

HC sells the clips you are referring to but before they had them the method I mentioned above was what most were doing.

For my roof line I purchased pixels that a seller I purchased other pixels from sent me to have a look at them. Loved them so I used them on my roof line and will add to my windows this year.

Need the source just ask.

I use LOR ccr ribbons - best warranty around.

All pixels/ ribbons are controlled by Pixie controllers and I have a bunch of them pixie16’s, 8’s and 4’s.

Your roofline looks like you will be better off using a bunch of pixie4’s Just like I did. You have to build them but they are very easy to build.

My upper roofline pixies are in the attic, my lowers are on ground level. My peak is 60’ so that was the easiest for me.

JR

Edited by dibblejr