Light-O-Rama Forums

Null Pixel

{Bryce}

I've heard about this mysterious item called a null pixel that repeats data if the travel between controller and first pixel is grater than the length specified for the controller.

Does such a thing exist?

If so; where do I find it?

And how do I get it to work?

38 minutes ago, {Bryce} said:

I've heard about this mysterious item called a null pixel that repeats data if the travel between controller and first pixel is grater than the length specified for the controller.

Does such a thing exist?

If so; where do I find it?

And how do I get it to work?

It depends on the controller.

Which controller? If the pixie series you cannot use a null pixel.

JR

22 minutes ago, {Bryce} said:

JR,

Im using two PixCon16 controllers for my show.

Had I not thrown mine away I would have given them to you. I run all pixie series.

I purchased mine from Ray Wuus store. Got tired of storing them and no one was looking or asking so I tossed them.

I believe Pixcons can use them.

JR

A null pixel can be just an extra pixel that you solder in the line. After installing go into the Pixcon port configuration and tell it how many null pixels you are using so it doesn't count towards the total pixel count of the string.

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

If the pixie series you cannot use a null pixel.

JR, I assume that statement is based on there not being a Null Pixel setting in the configuration (that's a speculation because I have never even seen a Pixie controller).  Even if that is the case, you can always put the null pixel into your sequencing.  In other words, if you find that you need one null pixel between the controller and first pixel, the null pixel is pixel 1 (channels 1 2, & 3), and your for example 50 pixels are sequenced as pixels  2 to 51 (channels 4 - 153).  You sequence only channels 4 - 153.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

JR, I assume that statement is based on there not being a Null Pixel setting in the configuration (that's a speculation because I have never even seen a Pixie controller).  Even if that is the case, you can always put the null pixel into your sequencing.  In other words, if you find that you need one null pixel between the controller and first pixel, the null pixel is pixel 1 (channels 1 2, & 3), and your for example 50 pixels are sequenced as pixels  2 to 51 (channels 4 - 153).  You sequence only channels 4 - 153.

Never thought of that, however I did learn this season that LOR is airing on the side of caution as far as runs from controller to first pixel. I tested prior to adding the RGB's to my roofline. I had 120' of cables from my pixie to my test strips in my garage.  All worked as sequenced.

I was able to mount the RGB's at the 60' peak and snake my cables from the ground through the wall and into the attic. About 100' from controller to pixel 1. Works flawlessly. I haven't tested on the v1 pixie16's since they are in props but I sure am thankful for the newer pixie series.

On my roofline there is a dedicated pixie4 for the 8 lines required. Two pixies with no other props. All of my pixel controllers have their own network. Some do share the network with ac controllers.

OP= test first, nothing to lose.

JR

• The topic was locked