Light-O-Rama Forums
ItsMeBobO

How do you store your pixel tree ?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Around here I have only seen that in 4 inch diam..  checking internet for it.   

See my edit - I was adding what I made today when you replied

Gonna post a pic link in a min

Note I didn’t use cement on this- I opted for screws. Also I had two center sections outside in order to get the light sections in. Once done I added a coupling to those two brackets.

https://photo.walgreens.com/store/share?via=link&token=yQCCi5Mbds1dJrW6V4293w/AUS/1001944403070/WALGREENS

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Its 8" round thin wall PVC and has 1/2" holes drilled

That’s drainage pipe. You can get it anywhere. If you don’t see it ask the workers. They can get it. 

This is my first year using the Boscoyo pixel strips on my pixel tree.  I had a HUGE issue with the strips twisting while hung from the tree.  The center strips were not an issue, but on a flat tree, the farther out from center, the more gravity is trying to pull the pixels and wiring down (not in a line with the strip) - which causes the strip to rotate towards the outside edge of the tree.  That causes the edge of the pixel strip to face the audience for  good portion of the length of the strip.  For next year, I will need to come up with a way to keep the pixel strips from twisting - I have several ideas.

As for storage when I take the tree down, I had planned on laying them on the floor of my attic, but I like the idea of putting several strips in large conduit.  Then I could put them farther into the attic where it is hard to get to.

16 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

That’s drainage pipe. You can get it anywhere. If you don’t see it ask the workers. They can get it. 

Its not available anywhere!   If you think it is.. post the link for EIGHT INCH DIAMETER pipe.   The four inch diameter which is eight feet long is available everywhere.  I would not need help with that.  Please give me some credit for being smart enough to shop. 

6 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Its not available anywhere!   If you think it is.. post the link for EIGHT INCH DIAMETER pipe.   The four inch diameter which is eight feet long is available everywhere.  I would not need help with that.  Please give me some credit for being smart enough to shop. 

I’d be willing to pick it up an ship it Greyhound. if they would ship.

My brother n laws wife if from somewhere a little north of you but they just came back. They totaled their brand new infinity SUV on the way up - deer. Yes a deer totaled their $80k vehicle.

JR

7 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Not trying to stir the pot. It is, you may need to look around. After getting out of the military. I worked part time at Lowe’s. Plumbing area as I went to school. They can special order just about anything you can think of and yes I remember the drainage pipe is one. Other than that you may need to look around at your odd ball places to find if you don’t want to go that route. But yes they can order. 

26 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

This is my first year using the Boscoyo pixel strips on my pixel tree.  I had a HUGE issue with the strips twisting while hung from the tree.  The center strips were not an issue, but on a flat tree, the farther out from center, the more gravity is trying to pull the pixels and wiring down (not in a line with the strip) - which causes the strip to rotate towards the outside edge of the tree.  That causes the edge of the pixel strip to face the audience for  good portion of the length of the strip.  For next year, I will need to come up with a way to keep the pixel strips from twisting - I have several ideas.

As for storage when I take the tree down, I had planned on laying them on the floor of my attic, but I like the idea of putting several strips in large conduit.  Then I could put them farther into the attic where it is hard to get to.

Thank you Jim for being the first to say your strips dont all hang straight.  Maybe your attribution to position is what I should be looking at as a bigger contributor to the twisting I see on mine.   I can see minor 'fold lines'  which I have assigned to blame to so far. 

5 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I’d be willing to pick it up an ship it Greyhound. if they would ship.

My brother n laws wife if from somewhere a little north of you but they just came back. They totaled their brand new infinity SUV on the way up - deer. Yes a deer totaled their $80k vehicle.

JR

No link.. 

3 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Not trying to stir the pot. It is, you may need to look around. After getting out of the military. I worked part time at Lowe’s. Plumbing area as I went to school. They can special order just about anything you can think of and yes I remember the drainage pipe is one. Other than that you may need to look around at your odd ball places to find if you don’t want to go that route. But yes they can order. 

No link ...

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

No link ...

Every area has their own stock. Posting a link isn’t worth it. Our Lowe’s do not stock it on hand it’s special order item. My best way to help you is to say order it special order... or look up dedicated plumbing stores in your area. I know what we call here in Ohio Menards carries the eight inch in stock. Similar to this

CD712CE2-51F6-4DBE-8302-82FD20A10AC3.jpeg

Edited by ~DOC~

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

No link ...

No link- it’s noy even listed in the Lowe’s web.

I will say it could be an area item. I do know that my Lowe’s and the Lowe’s 10 miles away do not carry the same items due to demand.

ATM our city is going through a growing population phase. Everyone wants to move and build houses here. As well as other major projects.

I saw this stuff, put my hands on it and thought about this thread. I didn’t even think about getting a pic - didn’t realize it would be hard to find -3 trips I Lowe’s in a day for the wife’s other project was enough.

However I will be that way when my family is taking Taikwando tomorrow night. I will go get a pic and info. They had 2 or 3 sizes and 8” was the largest. I believe 10’ but could have been 8.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

13 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Every area has their own stock. Posting a link isn’t worth it. Our Lowe’s do not stock it on hand it’s special order item. My best way to help you is to say order it special order... or look up dedicated plumbing stores in your area. I know what we call here in Ohio Menards carries the eight inch in stock. Similar to this

CD712CE2-51F6-4DBE-8302-82FD20A10AC3.jpeg

That’s the stuff. It’s sewer drain pipe

JR

Posted (edited)

As I got thinking about it it might be easier for you all to just get 8in pipe which would be more readily available and just drill some holes. But as I stated it will be available special order if you want it that bad. Besides your not going to want all those holes just the ones at the ends.

Edited by ~DOC~

2 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

As I got thinking about it it might be easier for you all to just get 8in pipe which would be more readily available and just drill some holes. But as I stated it will be available special order if you want it that bad. Besides your not going to want all those holes just the ones at the ends.

We don’t have 8” pipe here in stock anywhere. That was one for my original ideas.

I used 8” pipe to make my fishing rod transport system when I had my fishing boat.

But lately it’s always out of stock with all the houses, buildings and schools being built.

Thats why I noticed the drain pipe. Caught my attention quick.

At the time I built my fishing rod holder I got the 8” pipe from ACE or True Value. There was no Lowe’s or HD close by.

JR

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

We don’t have 8” pipe here in stock anywhere. That was one for my original ideas.

I used 8” pipe to make my fishing rod transport system when I had my fishing boat.

But lately it’s always out of stock with all the houses, buildings and schools being built.

Thats why I noticed the drain pipe. Caught my attention quick.

At the time I built my fishing rod holder I got the 8” pipe from ACE or True Value. There was no Lowe’s or HD close by.

JR

They can still order it. Most of the big box stores won’t stock it. Our Menards for some odd reason stocks the huge stuff with fittings. 

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Personally if you put them in the attic just put bungee cords at one end with the other fastened around a hook. No I don’’t have them but I already saw a place on my garage ceiling to do this. So With everyone having issues I am thinking ahead. I personally would not use the pipe. 

I have 2 rolls of BS strips that I purchased 2 years ago, have not used due to change of plans and will not use so Bob, Jim - K6CCCif you need some let me know. I even have the metal tension fasteners. For as much as you both have done for me in the past and do for others I would not charge you for them nor the shipping.

They are stored as received rolled with the tape connecting them end over end.

JR

• Like 1

JR, I don't need any more of the strips (even though I am adding two more strips for 2019), but I could use one more of the metal tension fasteners.  I have three of the MISR fasteners and will need four for adding two more strips - so I could use one more.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

JR, I don't need any more of the strips (even though I am adding two more strips for 2019), but I could use one more of the metal tension fasteners.  I have three of the MISR fasteners and will need four for adding two more strips - so I could use one more.

Shoot me your address, you have my email. I will get one out to you tomorrow. If I don't get it in time will send the next day. Im only 4 miles from USPS

JR

Here is just another thought as where I work we store wood trim in them and they are very durable. you can get them in many lengths and diameters. The product is Sono tube (that is what it called here in Ontario) it is the form for pouring round cement posts. For end caps we just cut a round piece of plywood and screw it inside at the end. It is available here in Ontario at any Big box hardware store.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randy Martin said:

Here is just another thought as where I work we store wood trim in them and they are very durable. you can get them in many lengths and diameters. The product is Sono tube (that is what it called here in Ontario) it is the form for pouring round cement posts. For end caps we just cut a round piece of plywood and screw it inside at the end. It is available here in Ontario at any Big box hardware store.

I think Randy has the winning idea!   A product which can be found on a website and available locally.   Much cheaper than the stiff water pipes of smaller diameter.   Lowes does not appear to list the 12 foot length but menards does which is my preferred anyway.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

Right, no need for the holes...what I am looking for is pipe larger than 4 inch diameter.    I have found some > $1k water pipe which is WAY too expensive.    The white/black with holes, largest largest around here is 4inch.   Same for OH. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

On 1/7/2019 at 8:41 AM, ItsMeBobO said:

I think Randy has the winning idea!   A product which can be found on a website and available locally.   Much cheaper than the stiff water pipes of smaller diameter.   Lowes does not appear to list the 12 foot length but menards does which is my preferred anyway.

Actually that may be a a lot cheaper. I think it would work for you

On 1/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, ItsMeBobO said:

Around here I have only seen that in 4 inch diam..  checking internet for it.   

Try a farm supply. (might be listed under culvert)