Light-O-Rama Forums

P10 panels

notredameforlife

I have seen some in industry use P7 and P10 panels but mainly with another software, can S5 be used for sequencing on P7 and P10 panels?

Yes.  I have a P5 and a P10 panel in my sequences this year.  There are quite a few of us using them.  Much longer answer, but not while I’m doing this from my phone.

Yes you can. Control the panel with the Falcon Player software and put the Falcon in "bridge mode". At that point, it looks like any other E1.31 controller. S5 software is tested against such a setup.

Matt

• Like 1

Here's a lengthy post from a year agon on P10's and LOR.

P10 and LOR Thread

In that thread, there didn't appear to be a smooth LOR to P10 linkage and that it would be via nutcracker/xlights. So glad to here that there appears to be be a more seamless sync'ing between LOR and P10's.

Several question\

1) While LOR v5 was mentioned above, any thoughts on whether this is doable with v4?

2) Does Falcon Player reside on the computer to configure the P10's or does it have to reside on some "board".

3) If treated as e1.31, you must be ip addressing the P10 assuming no other boards is required.

I have p10 panels running thru S4 this year works fine . Using Rasberry pi and falcon software in bridge. Mode.  All sequenced thru LOR like any other E1-31  board 

Edited by Dennis Laff

57 minutes ago, mpageler said:

Here's a lengthy post from a year agon on P10's and LOR.

P10 and LOR Thread

In that thread, there didn't appear to be a smooth LOR to P10 linkage and that it would be via nutcracker/xlights. So glad to here that there appears to be be a more seamless sync'ing between LOR and P10's.

Several question\

1) While LOR v5 was mentioned above, any thoughts on whether this is doable with v4?

2) Does Falcon Player reside on the computer to configure the P10's or does it have to reside on some "board".

3) If treated as e1.31, you must be ip addressing the P10 assuming no other boards is required.

The falcon program is on a mini sd card loaded on the Rasberry pi 

My elementry understanding of a Rasberry Pi is that it's a stand alone mimi computer.  So when you boot and configure the RP, do you have to connect keyboard,mouse and monitor to it or can you still access via you desktop/laptop. 

Yes you need monitor ,keyboard, and mouse after you setup Rasberry pi then you switch over to the desktop and Internet to setup the p10 panels in the falcon player .

Nope.  With the current 2.x FPP version, use a PC to image a uSD card and plug it into the Pi.  Boot the Pi and with it connected to you LAN, it will get a DHCP address and you configure it entirely with the web interface.  Version 1.x required a few more steps, but it does not require a mouse, keyboard, or monitor.  I have never had any of those hooked up on either of my FPP installations (originally 1.8, then 1.9, then many versions of 2.x).  Now, if you don't connect to a LAN after the initial image, the FPP will bring up itself as a WiFi access point that you can connect to in order to configure it.

Jim,

I haven't used the FPP yet but correct me if I am wrong but I assume this is how it works.

LOR configured to output to an IP address (as you do with a falcon pixel controller (eg pixel controllers.com)), the IP address LOR dumps to is a "circuit board, just like a pixel controller" which in this case the FPP. The FPP when set in bridge mode effectively dumps those light signals out on the P10. 

When not in bridge mode the FPP instead looks for a sequence stored locally on an SD card or other local storage and dumps the locally stored sequence instead.

N

When a FPP installation is being used to drive P10 panels from LOR, FPP operates in Bridge mode.  It takes E1.31 data and translates that to drive the P10 panels.  As far as LOR is concerned, it's just another E1.31 controller.

You are correct, that a FPP installation can operated in several different modes.  Several of those involve playing locally stored sequences.

John Storm's video on using RP to drive LOR AC contgrollers. Went throught sequence file conversion process form LOR to format for FPP,.

Rasberry PI Driving LOR Controller

Thanks for the info so far. Feeling comfortable enought that I might give the RP e1.31 process a try this year ...just to fool around in spare time.  Looks like for under $100, you can get into a single P10 / FP setup. 

I added a 2x2 P10 Panel to my Halloween and Christmas shows this year and it was totally worth the effort. I sequenced in P10 text of Santa's list of nice kids collected by having neighbors message me with nominees. Very popular! The panels were connected to a Beaglebone Black  with a cape called a P10 scroller (it has the connectors for the cables from the panels). The Beaglebone has a micromemory card containing Falcon Player. It's like the setup program you might find on any controller. LOR S5 makes setting up the device for sequencing as simple as any other E1.31 controller. Tip: diyledexpress.com offers a kit which isn't the cheapest way to go but it's a way to get started. It's only money.

Richard

So if I'm following correctly, you could use either of the following in brridge mode, within e1.31

1) Pasberry Pi wityh a Pi Hat

2) Beagle Bone Black with scoller. 

The hat or scooler allows you to make connection between RP or BBB, to the first planel?

14 minutes ago, mpageler said:

So if I'm following correctly, you could use either of the following in brridge mode, within e1.31

1) Pasberry Pi wityh a Pi Hat

2) Beagle Bone Black with scoller. 

The hat or scooler allows you to make connection between RP or BBB, to the first planel?

Correct.

1) Raspberry Pi 3 or 3+ with a Matrix Pi-Hat.  I have a couple of these (currently on Pre-sale) http://shop.cfolights.com/product/pre-sale-matrix-pihat/

2) BeagleBone with an OctoScroller.

3) A third option is a Raspberry Pi driving a ColorLight Card which in turn drives the panels.  That is what I'm doing.  Both my P5 and P10 matrixes are small enough that the ColorLight is overkill, but I wanted to try them out.  They work nice.