Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you know what superstar to get

~DOC~

Ok still a newbie. So I am updating to S5 and want to know about SUperstar. The one thing I did not see is how do you determine what you need 300, 600, 1200, etc channels. So I figured my whole house outline is 20 channels. I would think I need the 24 CCR version. But if I add a mega tree of 16 channels. Do I have to buy the 40_ccr version? It’s lacking a little bit of info. 

Firstly, I think you are talking about ports. You need to count pixels, and multiply by 3 to get your total channel count.

As PhilMassey says, you can get the channel count by getting the pixel count and multiplying by 3.

A CCR has 50 pixels which means it has 150 channels. So the number of channels the licenses support is below:

2 CCR = 300 channels

4 CCR = 600 channels

8 CCR = 1200 channels

16 CCR = 2400 channels

24 CCR = 3600 channels

40 CCR = 6000 channels

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

Firstly, I think you are talking about ports. You need to count pixels, and multiply by 3 to get your total channel count.

58 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

As PhilMassey says, you can get the channel count by getting the pixel count and multiplying by 3.

A CCR has 50 pixels which means it has 150 channels. So the number of channels the licenses support is below:

2 CCR = 300 channels

4 CCR = 600 channels

8 CCR = 1200 channels

16 CCR = 2400 channels

24 CCR = 3600 channels

40 CCR = 6000 channels

Ugh sorry for the amateur mistake between port and channel. So I measure my house today and were looking at 2730 pixels spaced 3 inches apart. I am outlining the house. That count equals to 8190 channels for pixels  + 32 channels for the traditionals. So do I go by  8222 channels? Or I am just not gripping the pixel thing?

Edited by ~DOC~

Ok maybe I worded it wrong again. The house will incompass 55 strings of 50. Then I want to add a mega tree that has 16 strings of 50. Are you telling me that I have to by a license for 60 CCR?

If you want to sequence them all together such that you can view them at the same time then you would actually need the 80 CCR license. However, you only need a licence for the biggest group of props you plan on sequencing. In your case you could sequence the tree separate from the strings on your house and then the 60 CCR license will work.

Especially if you are using S5 it is very easy to sequence things in pieces.

Brian is right, S5 and Superstar work well together in breaking up the elements.  Trick I just learned is bring a blank element into Superstar and open one of your existing Superstar files for this song and see what you get to work on that element. 

I have imported my 4 Circles.sup file into my 4 arches and have a sequence good enough to make changes with and not have to start clean each time.

Just a thought