Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving Preview and Channel Config to another PC

wicket82

I can't figure out how to move the Preview and Channel Config to another PC. I have it setup on one laptop but need to move it to another computer. In S4 you just exported the Channel Config and then imported that to the other computer. I can't get anything to work and have to redraw my entire display on the other computer. How do I transfer the Channel Config and Preview to another computer?

Bonus to whoever can help me figure out why it won't let me add motion effects. This is just the demo of the software that I want to play around with the different motion effects to see what they all do and what mixing them does. No sequencing will be done on this computer (it's my computer at work that I want to play around with during downtime so don't need or want to register the software). I may not be able to do anything in the demo though. And right clicking doesn't give me the option to "Add Motion Effect Row"

Thanks

IMG_8578.JPG

A1C48F25-E7FA-43C6-8749-371C61723C3F.JPG

Edited by wicket82

click on the icon beside "Show All Item" and click export. (can't remember the exact terminology)

That will export your channel config to a file that you can take with you to your other PC

You are asking this in the S5 portion of the forum, but your forum profile shows that you are using S4.3.26.  Based on the question, I assume that you really are using S5.  Please update your forum profile to avoid confusion.

With that said, there are several ways to move a profile.  Likely the easiest is to copy a sequence to the second computer and open it.  One of the options will be to import the Preview from the sequence.  You may want to change the name in Preview Editor, because it will come up with a name some thing like "Imported from sequence <sequence name>".  The other option is on the source computer, open Preview Editor and Export the desired preview.  That will by default put the preview in a folder called ImportExport in your LOR directory structure.  Fine the preview file (it will have a .lorprev filename extension).  Copy that to the ImportExport directory in the target computer.  On the target computer, open Preview Editor and Import a preview.  Select the desired preview an Import it.

3 hours ago, wicket82 said:

Bonus to whoever can help me figure out why it won't let me add motion effects. This is just the demo of the software that I want to play around with the different motion effects to see what they all do and what mixing them does. No sequencing will be done on this computer (it's my computer at work that I want to play around with during downtime so don't need or want to register the software). I may not be able to do anything in the demo though. And right clicking doesn't give me the option to "Add Motion Effect Row"

Register the work computer.  It does not really hurt anything to do so.  Then you will be able to use the features.

Besides, one of these days you will want to do some quick edit on that computer...

Edited by k6ccc
Added last line

I'll try to open an existing sequence and try that to see if it brings over the channels and preview. But if the only way I can get the add motion effects is to register the software, I guess I won't be able to that. I wont be able to sequence on the work computer. I just wanted to play around during the holidays while it's slow at work. My boss wouldn't like me to sequence on the work computer. haha.

And I still have the old software version listed because I still use it. my show computer for one of my shows is Windows XP so I still have to use the old software to sequence for now.

3 minutes ago, wicket82 said:

I'll try to open an existing sequence and try that to see if it brings over the channels and preview. But if the only way I can get the add motion effects is to register the software, I guess I won't be able to that. I wont be able to sequence on the work computer. I just wanted to play around during the holidays while it's slow at work. My boss wouldn't like me to sequence on the work computer. haha.

Really, just register it.  There are no disadvantages to doing so.  I'm in the same situation.  This is one of my work computers.  Like you, I don't really do any sequencing on this, but I fire it up once in a while to test something (usually to answer someone's question on the forum).

6 minutes ago, wicket82 said:

And I still have the old software version listed because I still use it. my show computer for one of my shows is Windows XP so I still have to use the old software to sequence for now.

I have functionally retired my last two XP computers.  My old show computer was XP and is still in the rack, but powered off.  It got replaced in the fall of 2017.  More recently my #2 work computer died (XP) and was replaced with this Win-7 computer.  Note that I used beta releases of S5 on both of those.  I don't overly recommend doing much sequencing on an XP computer, but it did work.  A few things looked a little different.  For running a show, unless it's an insanely complicated show, the XP computer should have no problem at all running the show under S5.  Just food for thought...

Used to have two work machines, for occasional lunchtime editing. (That's my story and i'm sticking to it.). Also had a laptop and desktop at home . My first year, 2010, ran the show off an XP netbook. Still have it but the battery lasts about half a minute before it dies.

Now I'm retired, everything is consolidated into my triple display home desktop which does everything including running my MIIP based show. Two network cards, one for the E1.31 and one for the LAN/Internet. Two RS 485 dongles, and a serial port for the RDS.

Data is on my server backed up with Dropbox.

Thing to note:

1. Motion effects require a PRO license!  

2. To make them work, you will have to split your network into regular high powered (8 & 16 channel) controllers, and Enhanced RGB controllers.  So you will need to run separate network cable for each network, and of course a controller (computer or G3-MP3 player) that can run the 2 networks.

I have all that, but I couldn't get it to work in an hour or two.  So I am waiting until I take my display down, so I can try each controller out separately in the warmth of my home.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, A10LM said:

Thing to note:

1. Motion effects require a PRO license!  

Correct.

1 hour ago, A10LM said:

2. To make them work, you will have to split your network into regular high powered (8 & 16 channel) controllers, and Enhanced RGB controllers.

Only partially true.  If your AC controllers are Gen 3, they will run just fine on a 500K Enhanced network.  All of my non-pixel controllers are running on Enhanced networks.  The only exception is an InputPup because you can't read input devices on an Enhanced network under any circumstances.