Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Editor over the E131 network

KeysNole

Just upgraded to use the pixel editor. If anyone knows of updated youtube tutorials, please post them. The few I have found seem updated.

I will be running pixel editor to control our mega tree over the E131 network (Falcon controller). Do I still need to run my LOR 1602s on the enhanced network and update the firmware?

Also, has anyone daisy chained an alphapix and falcon? Or used a network switch?

If your 1602 is running effects generated in PE, then it must be on an Enhanced network.  If it is using effects generated in Sequence Editor, then it does not.   My suggestion would be to plan on running everything on Enhanced networking if possible.

Also note that your forum profile shows you have an Advanced level software license.  A Pro level license is required to use Pixel Editor.

I upgraded to pro after our conversation a few weeks ago. It looks like some people say to update the firmware on the 1602 controllers, and some say not to.

2 hours ago, KeysNole said:

I upgraded to pro after our conversation a few weeks ago. It looks like some people say to update the firmware on the 1602 controllers, and some say not to.

Your profile still shows Advanced so please update it.

You don't need to update the firmware if everything works, only if you start having issues.

As far as the Falcon and Alphapix on E1.31. You can daisychain them as long as the Falcon is first and the Alphapix is daisychained off the Falcon. Keep in mind that each will still have their own IP address.

23 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

As far as the Falcon and Alphapix on E1.31. You can daisychain them as long as the Falcon is first and the Alphapix is daisychained off the Falcon. Keep in mind that each will still have their own IP address.

The alphapix runs through my .lms sequences on sequence editor. Just asking for personal knowledge, but is there a reason the falcon should be first in line, outside of the physical cable outputs?

The Falcon F16 v3 has an ethernet switch built in which provides an ethernet out to feed the next ethernet device. You could use a separate switch if you needed to feed more than one ethernet device.

10 minutes ago, KeysNole said:

Just asking for personal knowledge, but is there a reason the falcon should be first in line, outside of the physical cable outputs? 

Simple.  The AlphaPix and Falcon controllers each require an Ethernet network connection.  Generally that means that your computer will connect to a switch (or the LAN side of a router - which functions as a switch).  Then each of your E1.31 controllers connect to that switch or another downstream switch.  The Falcon controllers contain a built in three port switch, so they have the ability to daisy chain to another controller via that built in switch and a second Ethernet port.  The AlphaPix has a single Ethernet port.

BTW, before someone says that the Falcon controllers have a two port switch (as the Falcon documentation states), not a three port switch, they are wrong.  The third port that people often forget about is the local drop to that controller itself, plug the two LAN ports to connect to other devices..

And Phil beat me to this by a few seconds...

Let me know if we are on the right track here.

Universes 1-16 are the alphapix. I don't know why 17 has the wrong IP address. Been like that for years. Adding the falcon now. When I loaded the info into PE it auto filled my universes. Should they match my network configuration? End channels of 360 accurate for strands of 120 pixels?

Screenshot-48.png%20Screenshot-47.pngScreenshot-49.png

Looks close.  I am gathering that the first 16 strings of the tree are being driven by the AphaPix and the remaining 8 strings are being driven by the Falcon.  Further assuming that the universes on the tree are 1 - 24 (without a gap at 17), you need to fix 17 and make sure the first universe on the Falcon is universe 17.  The reason that universe 17 is showing a strange IP is because it is set for Multi-Cast.

When I try to set the LOR network preference to enhanced, I get a pop up saying I need a gen 3 controller. The LOR help desk told me all LOR controllers can run enhanced. The controllers are CTB16D, not 1602 as previously stated.

Screenshot-58.png

50 minutes ago, KeysNole said:

When I try to set the LOR network preference to enhanced, I get a pop up saying I need a gen 3 controller. The LOR help desk told me all LOR controllers can run enhanced. The controllers are CTB16D, not 1602 as previously stated.

Not all LOR controllers can work on Enhanced. You can check which ones do on the speed page:

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/