Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX moving heads

ebrown1972

I think I want to venture into dmx moving heads next year. I use Falcon controllers and plan to run the heads off of the dmx output on the Falcon. I would like to stick with LOR software and I am currently using the latest S5 release. How does one go about programming the moving heads? I believe Xlights is already set up for moving heads but surely there is a way to control them from LOR. If anyone has any links or knowledge about this please share.

Thanks, Eric

Not sure what you mean by moving heads. If you are referring to animatronics I am using LOR 4.2.12 for a few years now (going to S5 Jan. 2019).

I am using 2 LOR servo dogs to move my figures.

The servo dog utility when used correctly is all you need to set them up.  

John

Lor is quite capable of controlling dmx moving heads. I have four cheap 60 watt lights in my show this year. 

Don't expect to see much in the way of beams except on a foggy night, you need the expensive ones for that. 

Overall I have been quite pleased with mine, it looks like they might make it through the season.

They are absolutely NOT waterproof, but the protective domes cost way more than the lights do, so I just tucked them as far under my overhang as possible (about 3 ft) and crossed my fingers. So far so good.

Programming in LOR is tedious and painful but doable and OK once you get the hang of it.

I have a few videos posted here.

Not quite sure about how the DMX out of the Falcon works. I run mine with an RS485 and a LOR to DMX crossover cable.

There is a little more info here.

Feel free to pm me for more info if you wish.

ERIC, How does one go about programming the moving heads?

I bought two moving heads to try two years ago and now use them in my show.  I use LOR to program/sequence through a Holiday Coro actidongle. Each light you buy has features and can be very different on how they operate.  you must review the manual that comes with your heads.  Once you have that in front of you, you can click on the DMX button in each sequence and add the values that you want to achieve.  Like pan, tilt, on, color, automatic. I don't use all the channels that come with the heads.  Add the device like any other in your sequence DMX Universe first, of course.  If, i.e. Red color is value 210 in your heads manual, then you have to add 210 to your sequence where you want it to be red. 

Thanks for all of the input everyone. It is much appreciated. Thanks for the videos Phil and Crimson Lane thanks for the info on what to look for.

I’ve been using moving lights in my shows for the past three years I wanted the full beam experience coming from behind the home so that means higher watts. 280 willl be visible  probably want at least 350. Usedlighting.com can get you some really great prices if you check often. It was still an investment but I still get the biggest smiles when those lights pop on. 

As as was stated earlier programming is tedious. Some channels like shutter and focus can be set the same for the entire show but pan and tilt are often changing in small degrees  and can be difficult to see in the layout. Fill is definitely your friend. Something that has worked well for me is figuring out certain spots (panned left, straight up, etc) using a basic dmx controller, recording that info and then dropping that into LOR. 

On 12/20/2018 at 6:12 AM, ebrown1972 said:

I think I want to venture into dmx moving heads next year. I use Falcon controllers and plan to run the heads off of the dmx output on the Falcon. I would like to stick with LOR software and I am currently using the latest S5 release. How does one go about programming the moving heads? I believe Xlights is already set up for moving heads but surely there is a way to control them from LOR. If anyone has any links or knowledge about this please share.

Thanks, Eric

Eric,

I plan on using the same setup (i.e. hardware & software) to run mine.  I am still looking into the pricing on them.

11 hours ago, compfire said:

Eric,

I plan on using the same setup (i.e. hardware & software) to run mine.  I am still looking into the pricing on them.

Cool. I am considering getting a few of the 230w versions but I need to wait a little to make sure I have it in my budget.

17 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

Cool. I am considering getting a few of the 230w versions but I need to wait a little to make sure I have it in my budget.

I am pricing out ones between 230-280w, and that are waterproof rated IP65 or IP66.  Probably going to buy 4 of them.

1 hour ago, compfire said:

I am pricing out ones between 230-280w, and that are waterproof rated IP65 or IP66.  Probably going to buy 4 of them.

Link please.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:49 AM, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

ERIC, How does one go about programming the moving heads?

I bought two moving heads to try two years ago and now use them in my show.  I use LOR to program/sequence through a Holiday Coro actidongle. Each light you buy has features and can be very different on how they operate.  you must review the manual that comes with your heads.  Once you have that in front of you, you can click on the DMX button in each sequence and add the values that you want to achieve.  Like pan, tilt, on, color, automatic. I don't use all the channels that come with the heads.  Add the device like any other in your sequence DMX Universe first, of course.  If, i.e. Red color is value 210 in your heads manual, then you have to add 210 to your sequence where you want it to be red. 

What version of LOR do you use to program the heads? I am using S5 and to be honest I'm just not getting how to accomplish this. Xlights makes it easy and they have a predefined moving head prop. In Xlights you add how many channels your head works on and you have sliders for each channel to change tilt, pan, color etc.

Programming moving heads in LOR could definitely use some improvement. In S5 you add a DMX prop in your preview design with all the required channels and then append that prop to your timeline. From there you adjust your intensity levels for pan, tilt, color, etc. 

Since there’s no sliders or even a prop preview, you’ll need to know your intensity settings prior to adding them to your timeline. I have an external DMX controller that I use the figure out light position (straight up, panned left & up, straight ahead) and record those numbers on paper. I then reference that paper while I program. If you don’t want to purchase a separate controller, you can use the LOR hardware configurator to control the movers as well. 

Here's some old threads I dug up, I made these while learning to sequence for moving head lights, and to help others.

As Bry says, you will need a copy of your book with all the DMX Channels Values listed to reference. Since I have 2 monitors, I made a jpg of those pages and display it on my second monitor as I seqeunce.

The pictures show using the process for S4, but it the same for S5. If you need a video to help you, let me know.

Hope they help.

Alan...

Beginner Video show the basics

Post about understanding what and how your moving works.

A little detailed and visual description of how to sequence moving head lights.

Edited by default

When the moving head lights are used outside at night can you see the beam of light or just the spot of light on your house ?

I have two 280 watt beams on the side of the house and two 350 watt beams behind the house and you can clearly see them even during lower humidity nights here in SoCal. Bulb wattage is only part of the equation when it comes to lumen output but that should give you an idea of what you may need.

I’d share a video but I have yet to figure out a way to capture how bright the beams actually look live without blowing out the lights on my home. 

To be honest this would be so much easier accomplished with Xlights. Xlights is set up for dmx moving heads and the effects can be controlled with one of my falcons off of the dmx port. Please don't take this as though I am bashing S5 which I am not. Maybe the developers will consider something for moving heads in S5.

Eric,

What version of Xlights are you refering to? I used Xlights a long time ago and don't remember seeing anything like this. Is there a tutorial video somewhere? I am always on the look out new ways to do things and would be very interested to see the Xlights approach.

Alan....

50 minutes ago, default said:

Eric,

What version of Xlights are you refering to? I used Xlights a long time ago and don't remember seeing anything like this. Is there a tutorial video somewhere? I am always on the look out new ways to do things and would be very interested to see the Xlights approach.

Alan....

its changed alot over the last year or two!! 

1 hour ago, default said:

Eric,

Alan....

Alan I have the newest release but It's been there for a while.