Light-O-Rama Forums

Creating a sequence

Soupy8728

Just wondering how people go about this process.  Do you have "go to" favorites that you use such as fade up or fade downs?  Twinkles?  Shimmers?  Do you take the time to listen to the songs and time everything out or do you just put in some random effects and see what happens?  I know for the singing faces it takes a lot of time (and patience) to sit there and detail those out so thanks to anyone who has shared these with me.  

Carl

For all practical purposes, everything is timed.  With that said, I fully admit that I lack the artistic creativity to do a good job sequencing.  As a result, I purchase most of my sequences for my pixel tree, then spend only 30 - 50 hours per song adding the rest of my yard based on the timing and colors from the pixel tree.

9 minutes ago, Brian Mitchell said:

Check out this thread for some good insight.

Thanks.  Good info.  I guess I'm kind of already doing most of that stuff (being musically inclined helps) so I'm on my way.  I do like the advice about always having something on...this I'll need to incorporate (with the exception of my cool LED light bulb that looks like a flame and my Santa in the window, all my lights fade in and out on every song.).  Merry Christmas to you and your family and thanks again for the words of advice!

Carl

1 minute ago, Brian Mitchell said:

I bought four of those flame lights.  I like em.

They are super cool.  Do you have problems with yours "hanging up" where they aren't flickering like a flame?  I have had this happen a couple of times but when I shut off the light switch and turn it back on, it re-sets.

There are a lot of differences between faces and typical props.

Doesn’t really takE long once you understand how they work and have a pattern. You do have to get creative at times and that cannot be taught.

Or just use papagayo.

Mine are all manually, I have done 2 face sequences in a matter of a few hours.

As far as other props it’s all about timing however there are ways to sequence roof line smart pixels with other prop sequences and have great results that you can’t make easily on an RGB string alone.

I will use circle sequences and copy those to roof lines.

JR

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

There are a lot of differences between faces and typical props.

Doesn’t really takE long once you understand how they work and have a pattern. You do have to get creative at times and that cannot be taught.

Or just use papagayo.

Mine are all manually, I have done 2 face sequences in a matter of a few hours.

As far as other props it’s all about timing however there are ways to sequence roof line smart pixels with other prop sequences and have great results that you can’t make easily on an RGB string alone.

I will use circle sequences and copy those to roof lines.

JR

JR...I understood about a third of what you just said...HAHAHA...I'm such a newb.  I don't have any RGB or Pixels...just incandescent strings and some LED stuff.  I have done a couple of faces so far and they are just time consuming.  I was just wondering how everyone approached the projects.  I usually like to just hit the melody line first or the beat line then just work from there.  So much to learn.

I just listen to the sections of a song over and over and OVER!  Forever it seems at times, and sequence small sections at a time. 

I don't have singing faces, but I do use some blow molds and wall mounted characters {store purchased/got from friends or found on E-Bay cheap at Buy It Now pricing}, anyway I have the blowmolds emulate the singing by fading the bulbs up/down, down/up, steady on for a POP. 

The RGB Lights I have, I try to just follow the beat of the song and change the colors along with the beat, sometimes I'll fade them out on specific words in a song, like "sledding on the crusted snow" I'd have them all on white and then fade out as the verse ends.

I'll admit I am NOT the best sequencer out there, but when I started in this hobby{2010} and I compare those first year sequences to what I do now, you really think your first year was great, and it was in reality the worst sequencing ever.🤣  

Although some come into this, and their first year is really great, me, definitely, I was NOT one of them!🤣

Just have fun and do it in the way you feel comfortable, then you'll just keep improving as you progress long, continuing to learn all this stuff.  And it's a NEVER-ENDING LEARNING PROCESS too!  

And sometimes it's just as my tagline states below.🤣

Edited by Orville