Light-O-Rama Forums

Missing Channels, and music skipping

Homertown

Have the standard 16 channel setup and have 2 songs playing on a loop, nothing fancy. Have all 16 channels being used........ For some reason when the first song plays, 2 of the channels choose to not come on at all ( I have them actually triggered to stay on solid) but they don't show up at all, and the second song decides that the music should be choppy and glitch through out the entire track. I have reset the controller several times, and upgraded the firmware, and dumped the program and reloaded it. I even erased the tracks and reprogrammed them and still have these problems. Funny thing is, I can hit the shut down schedule imidiatly and then enable the schedule, and it will restart and play normally for about 20 minutes then back to missing a few channels on one song and skipping the music on the other....... I am about to pull my hair out trying to fix this problem. Any advise would be great!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homertown

• dibblejr

• Orville

• Kapkirk

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure a couple or more with experience will chime in soon, but the first thing I would check is the cat 5 cable going to the controller. Only thing I can think of that would explain the erratic behavior. Different problems different times.

Keith

1 hour ago, Homertown said:

Tried a different cat5

no change

Firmware version of controller?

Check the LOR Firmware update page. If it is older and only since you are experiencing problems this may cure them.

You don't give any history, how old is the controller, has it worked in the past, will it work on other sequences?

JR

Is there anything going on in the background on your computer. Sleep. Hibernation, screen saver, anti virus, updates, the list goes on. 

Homertown

Sorry that didn't help, do you have a spare RS485 adapter? I would try that, I cured my erratic behavior similar to yours by swapping a controller this year, but I am betting it is the Cat5 connector in the controller that is my problem, will troubleshoot mine after Xmas and probably send the controller back to LOR.

Can't help on the music, but for the two channels that are never turning on, first of all, do they work at all (the other sequence) or via the Hardware Utility?  One issue I have seen on channels that are "always on" is that because there are no changes to that channel, no commands get sent.  My work around has been to change the channel from (for example) 100% to 99% for one time interval once in a while.  You will never see that, but it forces the show player to send commands to that channel now and then.

There is no background programs going on , the laptop. I have drop every non essential program off the laptop so its plain Jane. 

I also added another 2MB of ram to make sure I have plenty of ram ( 4 MB) 

I forgot to mention the entire LOR set up is only 3 weeks old or so, I just got it delivered thee last week of November. I bought the entire set up from the controller to the CAT5 to the adapter and so on. The only thing I supplied is the laptop and the lights. My frustration level is so high now, Im about to just box it up and send it all back

I have tried contacting LOR and I did get 2 responses back,  but it took several days to hear back and both times the responses where of no help and didn't even address the problem as if they didn't even look at the problem rather than just had a standard response e mail ready to paste to every email as a response

7 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Can't help on the music, but for the two channels that are never turning on, first of all, do they work at all (the other sequence) or via the Hardware Utility?  One issue I have seen on channels that are "always on" is that because there are no changes to that channel, no commands get sent.  My work around has been to change the channel from (for example) 100% to 99% for one time interval once in a while.  You will never see that, but it forces the show player to send commands to that channel now and then.

Testing the lights, every circuit works, and when I start the show, everything works for about 20 minutes then it goes a little haywire.......I will try your fix for sure! that actually makes sense....., a simple change of command will force the parameters to do something. Ill let you know how this changes things

30 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Firmware version of controller?

Check the LOR Firmware update page. If it is older and only since you are experiencing problems this may cure them.

You don't give any history, how old is the controller, has it worked in the past, will it work on other sequences?

JR

Unit is 3 weeks old, I will check the firmware to see how old it is

2 minutes ago, Homertown said:

Testing the lights, every circuit works, and when I start the show, everything works for about 20 minutes then it goes a little haywire.......I will try your fix for sure! that actually makes sense....., a simple change of command will force the parameters to do something. Ill let you know how this changes things

please provide more info

1- What are the unit ID's?

2-Firmware version? Just because its brand new does not mean it is up to date.

3- Network info speed ect,

JR

Edited by dibblejr

You said something that triggers a thought.  You said this was a laptop and everything works for 20 minutes and then goes haywire.  Look at system settings.  Bet something is going to sleep in the laptop settings.  Laptops are famous for that because power saving is so critical when operating on battery.  Even when not operating on battery, a lot of the power saving stuff is often still turned on.  You don't want the system to turn much of anything off after some amount of time - except maybe the monitor.  Make sure that USB and hard disks in particular are not going to sleep.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

You said something that triggers a thought.  You said this was a laptop and everything works for 20 minutes and then goes haywire.  Look at system settings.  Bet something is going to sleep in the laptop settings.  Laptops are famous for that because power saving is so critical when operating on battery.  Even when not operating on battery, a lot of the power saving stuff is often still turned on.  You don't want the system to turn much of anything off after some amount of time - except maybe the monitor.  Make sure that USB and hard disks in particular are not going to sleep.

Nope I specifically set everything to stay on and shut all power saving abilities off, disabled hibernation and screen saver stuff. This was the first thing I did when I started noticing the problems. I should clarify the 2 problems a little better. The lights that are not triggering usually don't start for about 20 minutes, however the 2nd song on the loop that seems to be choppy, is choppy from the get go......If I am in editing mode, its good to go and plays fine, but once I start a show, its choppy right from the start

8 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

please provide more info

1- What are the unit ID's?

2-Firmware version? Just because its brand new does not mean it is up to date.

3- Network info speed ect,

JR

Not quite sure what you mean by the network speed, I'll get the firmware version and the unit ID

Just now, Homertown said:

Not quite sure what you mean by the network speed, I'll get the firmware version and the unit ID

Click on the control panel (light bulb in your system tray). Scroll up to Network Preferences NP, if you've never been there click on the "advanced" tab. The page will now resemble a notebook with green and white tabs. Now you will see 3 tabs LOR/ DMX/ MISC click on LOR. Ensure your speed is 57.6K

8 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Click on the control panel (light bulb in your system tray). Scroll up to Network Preferences NP, if you've never been there click on the "advanced" tab. The page will now resemble a notebook with green and white tabs. Now you will see 3 tabs LOR/ DMX/ MISC click on LOR. Ensure your speed is 57.6K

It is version 4.4.2 and 57.6k speed

2 minutes ago, Homertown said:

It is version 4.4.2 and 57.6k speed

Controller Firmware is gonna be 1. something

Go to the HU and search for the controller it will tell you there.

JR

One other thought comes to mind to me, is your cat5 cables anywhere near or zip tied to any power cords?    If so, this can cause some very eratic behavior.  Not sure if it will affect the music, but kind of doubt it on that one.  Then again, stranger things have happened.

So you may want to check where your cat5 cable is connected and whether or not it's anywhere near any live power cords, this includes the controllers power cords and dangles as well.

Just something else to possiby check for.

Edited by Orville

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Controller Firmware is gonna be 1. something

Go to the HU and search for the controller it will tell you there.

JR

4.4 is a Gen 2