Light-O-Rama Forums

My First Grinch

jfuller8400

Well, after doing this for over 5 years now I finally had my first Grinch.  In addition to my FM transmitter,  I also use 4 outside speakers so that people walking by can hear the music (otherwise it's just a bunch of blinky lights to them).  During the day I use Zara to play Christmas music over my station and also on the outside speakers (I figured might as well - everything is up and running anyway and it spreads some holiday cheer).    This year I found a note in my mailbox from one of my neighbors telling me to turn off my speakers as he's complaining he can hear the music in his house all day and night.  Mind you he's across the street from me and about 4 houses down while my bedroom window is over one of the speakers and I could hardly hear it at all.  So the only way he could hear it is if he had his windows open.  It would have been nice if he had just asked me to lower the volume rather than telling me to turn them off.  I did lower the volume somewhat (just to be a good neighbor) but there's no way I'm turning off my speakers (I've gotten lots of complements that my neighbors really like the music during the day).

Tis the season....

Sigh.....

1 hour ago, jfuller8400 said:

Well, after doing this for over 5 years now I finally had my first Grinch.  In addition to my FM transmitter,  I also use 4 outside speakers so that people walking by can hear the music (otherwise it's just a bunch of blinky lights to them).  During the day I use Zara to play Christmas music over my station and also on the outside speakers (I figured might as well - everything is up and running anyway and it spreads some holiday cheer).    This year I found a note in my mailbox from one of my neighbors telling me to turn off my speakers as he's complaining he can hear the music in his house all day and night.  Mind you he's across the street from me and about 4 houses down while my bedroom window is over one of the speakers and I could hardly hear it at all.  So the only way he could hear it is if he had his windows open.  It would have been nice if he had just asked me to lower the volume rather than telling me to turn them off.  I did lower the volume somewhat (just to be a good neighbor) but there's no way I'm turning off my speakers (I've gotten lots of complements that my neighbors really like the music during the day).

Tis the season....

Sigh.....

Fortunately no complaints from any of my neighbors to date, and I have outside speakers that run 24/7 with the Christmas/Christian music I have playing during non-show times, after my show I run 4 animation files and 1 channel music files overnight{ends at 6:30am, then the day music starts without lights until 5:20, show starts daily at 5:30pm}, lower the volume to a very low setting where I can only hear it if I'm right along the front of my house after the show is over, can't even hear it across the street or from the other side of the house. 

My speakers are mounted to my handicap ramp right next to my front door and I can't even hear them in my house during show time,r daytime or nighttime if I have my windows open. 

So I think you neighbor is over-exaggerating or has "selective hearing", and by that last term I mean he thinks he hears it when in fact, he probably can't at all.  But because he knows you play it day and night, he's just looking to complain over something he really can't hear, no way, not from the distance you say he's from your house! 

I have neighbors 2 houses over on either side of me and in back and they tell me they can not hear my music at all, even standing out in their yards, they can not hear it, but wish they could! LOL 

But I won't crank it up that high except on the night when the management does the Christmas Light Contest judging, other than that night, it's always kept at a reasonable level that walkers, bicyclists can hear it as they pass by and the neighbor across the street and next door can hear it, but they love it.  So far no complaints from anyone with the way I'm doing it.  

And the night of the Christmas Light Judging, everyone in my area expects the music to be boosted loud so the judges can hear it {they use a golf cart to judge the contest, no FM radio in it to tune to the music}.  Plus I also inform my neighbors that will be the ONE and ONLY NIGHT they'll ever be able to hear my music down the road and in their yard if outside.   No one has ever said they can hear it inside, not even my immediate next door neighbor.

Some people just want SOMETHING, ANYTHING to complain about.  Sad but true in a lot of these cases.

Good Luck with the Grinch in your neighborhood!

Edited by Orville

4 hours ago, jfuller8400 said:

Tis the season....

Sigh.....

My first ever complaint was earlier this week. Same as yours. But she did come talk to me and asked me to turn it down. I did - a little. But like you said, she’s behind the house across the street, I doubt she could hear it inside her bedroom as stated.  

Her daughter loves the show. My guess is the music she heard inside is from her daughter’s boombox. 

I am not on Facebook but have had people tell me of a person who lives near me who can't get home.

The post reads something like it takes 30 minutes to get by the house, (False - Cars are always on the side of the road and everyone seems very mindful of traffic.)

I need to get home, I am pregnant and have a sick kid waiting... UGH! Right.

MY comment, because 1/10 mile past my house there are section 8 housing... Close your legs, get off Facebook, get a job, then maybe you can afford to pay for your kids and get out of Section 8 housing and maybe buy a house far away from me.

Until then, I hope you kids enjoy the Toys For Tots which donations from my light show buy for your family.

I know not very Christmas like from me, but I have heard this story from so many people. Fortunately, there were many people who politely told her to shut up.

We spend months building our displays and I do know that one negative comment just ruins the mood. Others just don't get it.

Edited by MikeERWNC

4 hours ago, MikeERWNC said:

We spend months building our displays and I do know that one negative comment just ruins the mood. Others just don't get it.

I was pretty bummed when I got that note, so I understand.  But I try not to let it get me down as I know that the majority in my neighborhood really love the display.

Well i did get my 1st and only complaint from a guy about 5 houses down from me about my speakers being too loud because he can hear them in his house as my wife and I were walking home from church this afternoon.   I asked him how can you hear them here?  I'm right here by your house and I can't hear them, do you?  Answer: No, but I CAN HEAR THEM IN SIDE MY HOUSE!   And it's driving me nuts! 

Asked him do you have a wife or children?  Answer: Yes

Maybe they have a/or radio/s tuned to my FM frequency and are listening to the music while doing whatever they may be doing inside.  He goes inside, comes back out and start apologizing profusely, seems both HIS Son and HIS Wife BOTH were tuned into my transmitter frequency and were BOTH blasting the music throughout the entire house.🤣

So if anyone is getting issues from folks that you know are really too far away to hear your outdoor speakers, have them come over to your house and then start walking together back toward their home, and ask them as you go, can you still hear them, when they say No, then tell them to check for someone INSIDE THEIR OWN HOME that may be listening to the music via radio pickup.   Chances are, just like this guy I had today, wife, children or BOTH are the actual culprit/s and your outdoor speakers ARE NOT the problem!

Edited by Orville
  • Like 3

That's funny Orville!  I do that at least one neighbor does listen to my music at least at times.

My yard speakers are just loud enough to usefully hear them at the sidewalk.  If I walk across the street, it is essentially inaudible.

4 hours ago, Orville said:

Well i did get my 1st and only complaint from a guy about 5 houses down from me about my speakers being too loud because he can hear them in his house as my wife and I were walking home from church this afternoon.   I asked him how can you hear them here?  I'm right here by your house and I can't hear them, do you?  Answer: No, but I CAN HEAR THEM IN SIDE MY HOUSE!   And it's driving me nuts! 

Maybe they have a/or radio/s tuned to my FM frequency and are listening to the music while doing whatever they may be doing inside.  He goes inside, comes back out and start apologizing profusely, seems both HIS Son and HIS Wife BOTH were tuned into my transmitter frequency and were BOTH blasting the music throughout the entire house.🤣

So if anyone is getting issues from folks that you know are really too far away to hear your outdoor speakers, have them come over to your house and then start walking together back toward their home, and ask them as you go, can you still hear them, when they say No, then tell them to check for someone INSIDE THEIR OWN HOME that may be listening to the music via radio pickup.   Chances are, just like this guy I had today, wife, children or BOTH are the actual culprit/s and your outdoor speakers ARE NOT the problem!

Too funny!!!!🤣

5 hours ago, k6ccc said:

That's funny Orville!  I do that at least one neighbor does listen to my music at least at times.

My yard speakers are just loud enough to usefully hear them at the sidewalk.  If I walk across the street, it is essentially inaudible.

I know that's how mine are too.   So I knew there was no way he was hearing my outdoor speakers inside his house.  And if they were that loud, our security officer would be knocking on my door telling me to "Please turn your speakers down".  And I've never had security ever ask me to turn my music down.   So I know someone had to be inside the guys house listening on a radio.

Once he found out, the look on his face was priceless when he came back out and started apologizing all over the place.🤣🤣🤣 

I didn't laugh, but it was sure hard NOT too! :D

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:51 AM, jfuller8400 said:

Tis the season....

Sigh.....

I also use Zara radio to play Christmas music when the display is not running.

I turn off the amplifier that drives the outside speakers after 10:00pm.  It comes back on around 9:30am.  That way the music does not bother the neighbors during times that most people sleep.

Even though the amplifier is off, the music can still be heard on the radio.

I use Insteon to control the amplifier and the static items in the display.

If someone has an issue with my display I just tell them to make a complaint to the HOA and let them settle it.

Since I am the person on the HOA that would get the complaint well I consider the case closed.  😁

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

If someone has an issue with my display I just tell them to make a complaint to the HOA and let them settle it.

Since I am the person on the HOA that would get the complaint well I consider the case closed.  😁

That last statement says it all! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 12/16/2018 at 3:43 PM, Orville said:

At that moment I don't think I could restrain myself from quoting Bill Engvall and I'd have no choice but to say "Here's your sign"!   🙄

Edited by Speedster

On 12/16/2018 at 3:43 PM, Orville said:

My neighbor across the street used to tell me how my station was tuned in her laundry room so she could watch from there.     No complaints from her,  just concurring that sometimes a person may leave the radio on all the time.   She has moved away now and the new people have never said anything negative about the show. 

15 hours ago, Speedster said:

At that moment I don't think I could restrain myself from quoting Bill Engvall and I'd have no choice but to say "Here's your sign"!   🙄

Now that's funny!   And what's even funnier, at the time he complained and we were walking toward my house to "hear the speakers outside", Bill Engvall's Christmas song version of "Here's You Sign" was playing!  I had to really bite the bullet NOT to burst out laughing my butt off!

• The topic was locked