Light-O-Rama Forums
~DOC~

Just wondering

The poles are also used in military OE-254 FM antennas but they would include the three guide rope collars.

14 minutes ago, Richard365 said:

Frying pan and s hooks won’t break

My wife’s frying pan for my broken hook head was a great deal. It even had rings on the bottom so I could use my hole saw dead center!

it actually weighs less than the plastic hook head and guaranteed with my 12,500 + lights , it won’t break.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I use a military pole as well - but just the sections and guy ropes/stakes.  

I stand the pole up and put the hook ends of the 3 staked guy ropes into the open top of the pole.   I added an s-hook to the end of each light strand, and stake the ends down.  The combination of the guy ropes and light strands acting as "backup guy lines" has survived several storms with no problems whatsoever.   I use found 5' sections for 20' height.  The controller is in the bin at the base.  

rHbe0t3u4t6FgZqBa1Jzcx1YZJTG18WOVGE6opqs

14 hours ago, Richard365 said:

What did you do to secure  base of the pole to the ground. 

IMG_7336

IMG_7335IMG_7338

purchased the base and pole pin from ChristmasLightShow.com and galvanized 1-1/4 pipe from Menards.  In my case I used a ten footer and five footer to get me 15ft (have tested two tens successfully) and used 24" 1-1/4 for "legs".

22 hours ago, Richard365 said:

What did you do to secure  base of the pole to the ground. 

Nothing - the stakes (and staked light strings) keep it upright.  

To place it and help keep it in position during erection, I hammer a piece of rebar in the ground - but it's not "securing" it, and I probably could do without it entirely. 

You know another good option is the ASP pool by monkhouse. With my dad's who took it up 35 ft to the top put a huge star up there and then hung 10000 lights off of it so it's a incredibly over-engineered solution but I'm never worried about it having any problems. I also use his portable hole and it's kept it down really well we've had three windstorms that exceeded 50 miles an hour this year already and I've had no problems with anything coming apart or bending or anything