Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights Flicker?

Dkazm201

Hay guys So second year with the light Setup last year I had a 16 channel light setup with my 100 amp box. I had some light dimming/ flickering with my led lights in my house (normal house lights). When the sequences go on outside. I attributed it to the 100 amp box and splitting the lights off of existing outlets. This summer i upgraded to 200 amp service and installed 4 15amp dedicated breakers to the christmas lights and added a second  controller, so each of my 4 plugs has its own 15amp dedicated breaker off the new 200 amp box. Still getting flickers/dimming in the ceiling led lights. So do you guys experience this also? Just wondering if i'm alone lol, its not horrible just a slight dim but the wife's like will this always do this? lol 

36 minutes ago, Dkazm201 said:

Hay guys So second year with the light Setup last year I had a 16 channel light setup with my 100 amp box. I had some light dimming/ flickering with my led lights in my house (normal house lights). When the sequences go on outside. I attributed it to the 100 amp box and splitting the lights off of existing outlets. This summer i upgraded to 200 amp service and installed 4 15amp dedicated breakers to the christmas lights and added a second  controller, so each of my 4 plugs has its own 15amp dedicated breaker off the new 200 amp box. Still getting flickers/dimming in the ceiling led lights. So do you guys experience this also? Just wondering if i'm alone lol, its not horrible just a slight dim but the wife's like will this always do this? lol 

Was the install done by a Qualified Electrician? Is the Utility feed above ground or buried? Last question: Are you the only property serviced by the Transformer on the pole (no close neighbors) ?

OK, I lied. one more question: Do some lights get brighter when others go dimmer?

20 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Was the install done by a Qualified Electrician? Is the Utility feed above ground or buried? Last question: Are you the only property serviced by the Transformer on the pole (no close neighbors) ?

OK, I lied. one more question: Do some lights get brighter when others go dimmer?

Yes Licensed, Permits pulled and Approved by the town . Underground Feed(buried). I live in NJ we are over crowded in my area lol so , Yes multiple houses are serviced by the transformer. Additionally the transformer is also in the front of my my house. 

The lights on my LOR setup go bright then the lights in the house flicker slightly. No other lights in the house don't go brighter only the outside ones during a show. I also checked the Legs the are all secure where they meet the house. 

Edited by Dkazm201

How old are you LED house lights?  Some of the older {and even some of the newer ones may still do this} are prone to rf interference and these controllers can create a little of that, depends on the LED bulbs you're using, some seem to be more susceptible to this than others.  

I just replaced all my older LED bulbs in my house that had this issue with newer LED bulbs, and thus far have not had any issues with any of them flickering.  

And are any of the LED bulbs dimmable you're using?  I had an issue with a couple of those and I think it's because they have added circuitry to be able to dim them, and they are prone to rf interference.   So none of my LED bulbs are dimmable in the house now.

When I had incandescent bulbs, never had the problem, only came to the surface when I switched over to interior LED lights.

So if it's really annoying, you can try getting newer LED bulbs and replace your existing ones, and hope they make it go away.  But no promises on that one.

Edited by Orville

Older dimmers are also susceptible to noise on the power line. If you use a dimmer. Are they rated for LED's? CFL's and Incans had natural smoothing (phosphors and filament cool down) built in. LEDs react now.

In my previous home with 200 amp service, I would have this occur.  In my case it was simply an issue of sudden power draw because I had so many incandescent lights that it was pulling a lot of juice at times in the display when everything went bright.  As I transitioned to LED and less power draw, the problem went  away.  Not saying this is your problem.  Just another possibility.  If you have a garbage disposal or vacuum cleaner or other heavy juice sucking appliance, I guess the same thing might happen for a second when you turn it on