Light-O-Rama Forums

Big power supplies

Little_b

Has anyone used 1000w 80A or bigger power supplies in your display? I know most tend to use 350w, which is what all mine are. I have just under 8000 12v pixel nodes on my matrix and I'm using 11 power supplies to run it. I'd like to condense the power equipment a bit and that's why I'm asking. I figure this way I'd only need 4.

An aside. At your power levels, you also might run at 240V. The AC extension cords get smaller gauge . (if you don't need 120V on the same cord, all you need to change is the plugs from 5- to (L)6-.  The Breaker is a 2 pole GFCI, which ain't cheap, but cutting down the cords...).  1200W is the NEC load rating for a 15A (120V 5-15R) outlet. That does not take in the cord length.

Also, with a lot of supplies, you probably need to stagger start the as the initial inrush is mighty.  and you might want Power factor correction (PF). My cheap 350W are terrible (but expected), with a PF of 50  (100 is the goal)

An alternate is a 'construction (50A spider box) fitted with the outlet combination you need  (each outlet has its own breaker in the box)

Back to 80A.  protecting the boards, typ 40A a feed becomes critical (there are Automotive Blade inline fuse holders for 40 and 50A blade fuses)

750's are my largest but if my memory serves me there is a member UncleDan who has a very nice setup and I believe his are larger than 750's. His controller room is just as nice as Johnson workshop.

JR

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

I also have a few of the 750's 😁 but that's the largest I use.

That person no longer sells them. The last batch I ordered, I received a refund. fyi

However I did stock up.

JR

Jameco has them https://www.jameco.com/z/SE-1000-12-MEAN-WELL-AC-to-DC-Power-Supply-Single-Output-12-Volt-83-3-Amp-999-6-Watt_2101542.html More expensive than the 3 @ 350's I use

But Meanwell is a decent brand and these can be switched to 240V input

Edited by TheDucks

I found this thread before I started a new thread, so I hope you don't mind me asking a similar question. I was gonna ask if anyone uses any of the bigger power supplies from Ebay? They are 400 to 600 watt (33 - 50 amp). Anyone use these or see any problem using these? I understand these are cheap foreign made ps. (of course, I have back planned for failures)

Thanks,

William

19 minutes ago, wt1924 said:

I found this thread before I started a new thread, so I hope you don't mind me asking a similar question. I was gonna ask if anyone uses any of the bigger power supplies from Ebay? They are 400 to 600 watt (33 - 50 amp). Anyone use these or see any problem using these? I understand these are cheap foreign made ps. (of course, I have back planned for failures)

Thanks,

William

The only thing I would worry about is their ability to stay regulated with the wide load swings LOR folk throw at them.

Not all supplies behave well with near zero load. The opposite end is slew rate, how well they recover when you slam them from dark to full white .

But most look cheap enough, that the warranty shipping would almost get you another.