Light-O-Rama Forums

Am I stupid or what?

Mr. P

On 12/7/2018 at 2:04 PM, k6ccc said:

I think we have all done some brain fart like that!

Except for sometimes on the weekend, my show ALWAYS starts without me anywhere near home, so I depend on it starting automatically.  I do get an E-Mail when it starts.  So if I don't get the E-Mail, I can check.  One advantage of running MIIP is it's VERY easy to verify that it is dong something, and with VNC or TeamViewer, I can easily remote into the show computer fix anything if there is a problem.  I also have multiple cameras that I can see the show from multiple angles from my phone.  Push really comes to shove, at show start time, there is generally at least a couple people home who I can call and have them check on stuff for me.

And yes, the Control panel starts when Windows starts.

In the future I want to have a talk. You keep astonishing me..... I need to pick at your knowledge. Still new now but it’s coming

8 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

In the future I want to have a talk. You keep astonishing me..... I need to pick at your knowledge. Still new now but it’s coming

As quite a few people here on the forum have learned, I will talk your ear off in my attempts to educate you...

• Thanks 1

That should have been obvious. He's a Ham. They love to either Yak or pound their fist. (My OM loved 80M CW)

Edited by TheDucks

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

That should have been obvious. He's a Ham. They love to either Yak or pound their fist. (My OM loved 80M CW)

Ooooh, only held one CW conversation in the last 25 years or so.  That was a satellite contact with a station in Algeria and he was ONLY running CW.  Africa is hard on satellite because it close to the antipodal point from southern California, and had to dig out a CW key so I could get the continent worked on satellite for my WAC.

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

That should have been obvious. He's a Ham. The love to either Yak or pound their fist. (My OM loved 80M CW)

I actually looked into HAM. I sorta gave up. I read the technician book several times. Electronics and me are not too friendly. 

25 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

I actually looked into HAM. I sorta gave up. I read the technician book several times. Electronics and me are not too friendly. 

I'm the flip side. Lousy ear in the presence of QRM and a worse fist. (I did abysmal on the Navy placement test. They made me an ETR instead of). But I could easily pass the General technical.

12 hours ago, k6ccc said:

As quite a few people here on the forum have learned, I will talk your ear off in my attempts to educate you...

I am not done yet. Maybe Mr. K6ccc can get me through that as well

On 12/27/2018 at 12:02 PM, PhilMassey said:

Hands up who knows what an antipodal point is. No Googling

As near as I can remember it has something to do with the measurement of spheres or circles.  But it's been a long, LONG time since I was in school, so don't recall all the particulars of how it's used to measure one{sphere or circle}

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I did another stupid oops.  This past weekend, I tore my show down.  To understand my oops, you have to understand my network topology.  The drawing below is a little dated, but close enough for this description.  You also have to understand that all the controllers on the Regular and AuxA network shown below are used year round for my landscape lighting.  For Christmas, I add one more CTB16 for my singing faces to my AuxA network (the green line in the drawing).  To add it in, I unplugged the output connector from the CTB16 in the East Attic, and plugged in a cable that went to the CTB16 for the faces, and a second cable plugged into the output connector on the faces CTB16 and connected to the cable going to the DC Column with a double female adapter.  That worked just fine all season.  On Sunday I removed the singing faces and their controller, and used another double female adapter in order to make the circuit complete.  Today, I pushed all the extra cables back through the conduit stub into the east Attic.  In order to get the cables through the conduit, I had to remove the double female adapter.  I remembered that I would then have to go back up into the attic to make the AuxA network normal.  I even commented to my son that was helping that I needed to do that.

Well, you guessed it, after putting everything away, I forgot all about the network.  Evening landscape lighting comes on.  About an hour later I remembered.  That meant that for that hour, only the front porch light (fed from controller 11 in the East Attic), a security light (fed from controller 15 in the garage), and the lights on the rose bushes (fed via E1.31) were on.  The whole rest of the yard was dark.

LOR_Network_2016-07-19.jpg

• The topic was locked