Light-O-Rama Forums

Are the Controllers all Waterproof

rondaxmas

Is it ok to put my controller and Mini director on my front porch and should they be in a bin or covered with trash bags?  Wasn't sure if they would get too hot in there.  I have the Pixi16 running a ccr tree and a regular 16 controller for the 6 channel star on top so  these 2 have to be near the tree, but I can put the mini director any place. Thank you!

Probably not waterproof, but water resistant. 

All of mine are outside. No bags no nothing. Just close the doors tightly and tighten the screw or turn the lock on the new ones and they will be fine.

For the controllers I have staked to the ground I ensure that the rain will run off of them in a manner that it won’t be forced in the controller box.

I have a couple like that.

My Mini Director that I use for testing has been outside mounted to my fence since day one. Well it is now attached to my Tune To matrix but it has not failed.

The fm transmitter stopped working long ago but I have a Rangestar so never really used it much. I removed the Director from the original box and tucked it inside the box with my pixie8 Tune To sign.

You should be perfectly fine. If you do place a bag over it , I would suggest not sealing the bag. But it’s really not needed.

Happy you got your show going. 🙂

JR

Ditto on dibblejr.  Good info.  And to add that while I don't think any product is "waterproof", in the almost 15 years of using various LOR controllers, I have never had an issue even in VERY HEAVY rain.

I have 6 on upright poles out in the open. 2 LOR , 4 @ CG1500 cases with HC weather resistant PSU's (some have 2 of these) mounted on the OUTSIDE of the case. None are above, or near any Sprinkler heads

They are designed to be outdoors.  I do put my CCP controllers under trash bags in large part because they are just a couple feet from lawn sprinklers (around here, those get used year round). 

2014_2_arches.jpg

The one CTB16 that is outside has no additional protection.  The controllers and power supplies boxes on the pixel tree are in 12 x 12 x 6 PVC junction boxes with no additional protection.

Front_of_House_2018-12-03.jpg

You can see the power supply box about 2/3 of the way up the tree on the right.  The controllers box is largely behind the star and not seen here.

My minidirector (which is inside of the ShowTime Central box) is indoors.  All of my controllers are outdoors on stands, but I do cover them with black plastic garbage bags for extra protection from rain & snow, and also to hide them.

Couldn't get the tree out of the basement without taking it apart, did that, put it back together, zip tied the lights back on.   How do you attach the cross beam to keep the CCRs evenly spaced?  Also I couldn't stand it up on my own.  Waiting for today for my 3 sons to be here to do it.

22 hours ago, k6ccc said:

They are designed to be outdoors.  I do put my CCP controllers under trash bags in large part because they are just a couple feet from lawn sprinklers (around here, those get used year round). 

2014_2_arches.jpg

The one CTB16 that is outside has no additional protection.  The controllers and power supplies boxes on the pixel tree are in 12 x 12 x 6 PVC junction boxes with no additional protection.

Front_of_House_2018-12-03.jpg

You can see the power supply box about 2/3 of the way up the tree on the right.  The controllers box is largely behind the star and not seen here.

Can you tell me how you attached that cross piece to secure the 16 poles .  I can't figure out how to do it.  Thanks!

Rhonda

You can use larger emt conduit for the cross braces and 1/2” emt straps- 2 holes to secure your 16 rows to

That is what I used in all of my builds

JR

Edited by dibblejr

8 minutes ago, rondaxmas said:

Can you tell me how you attached that cross piece to secure the 16 poles .  I can't figure out how to do it.  Thanks!

Take a look at my web page:

http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html

Although the tree got rebuilt this year and the web page is the previous version , the general concept is the same.  There is quite a bit of detail on construction.  Prior to this year, I would assemble the tree in my driveway and then three of us would stand it up,.  With four times as many pixels this year, I knew there was no way we could stand it up with it assembled.  So this year, the steel frame was assembled in the driveway and the stood up.  Then using a 12 foot ladder, each string was attached from the front, and then the ladder was moved to the back side to hook up the wires from each string to the controllers which are in a box behind the star.  I will have new photos on the website before to long.

The clamps were too big and not securing the poles, we are redoing them now.  are the plugs on the CCRs ok outside without being connected to the controllers?  Or should I go out and connect them before the tree is erected.  I don't see the tree being put up tonight because I don't have enough help to stand it up until tomorrow.  Thanks for you suggestions

9 minutes ago, rondaxmas said:

The clamps were too big and not securing the poles, we are redoing them now.  are the plugs on the CCRs ok outside without being connected to the controllers?  Or should I go out and connect them before the tree is erected.  I don't see the tree being put up tonight because I don't have enough help to stand it up until tomorrow.  Thanks for you suggestions

Wont hurt anything if not connected. just ensure they are hanging downward to prevent a lot of water getting in them. 

JR

Almost all of mine are laying on their backs on my covered porch, and even after heavy rain show no signs of moisture incursion.   The one on the lawn (for the mega tree) I do indeed have in a bin just to make life easier on me, not because it's really necessary.  

I am and would be more worried about plugs that are on the ground where water might pile up.  

Just had a HUGE mishap.  The tree started falling as it was going up.  very windy today.  The star was swaying a lot and started to bend the pole, had to take it down. My husband was afraid it would come flying down and hurt someone.   I have to shorten it.    Can you tell me how far apart the lights are spaced on the CCR. I can't tell which part are the lights.  I have to take a total of 3 feet off of the whole thing to make it more manageable.   Is it best to evenly take lights off of the top and bottom or just not use the lights on the bottom for the sequences to work.  Thank you.