Light-O-Rama Forums

comm port troubleshooting

Jago

Hello I'm trying to connect my ctb16 to my pc and it keeps telling cannot find port when trying auto config i have my controller to comm 3 as it says comm 3 in device manager but in hardware utility it cannot find any devices i'm using the usb485 with a phone cable plugged into the first phone jack port on the controller.

the USB 485 gets it's power from the controller... I would check that both ends of the cable are configured the same. (1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 etc.)

Which USB485 adapter are you using? Most only take a Cat5 or Cat6 cable. Phone cables can be used from 1 controller to another but not the adapter.

Tom

46 minutes ago, a31ford said:

the USB 485 gets it's power from the controller... 

Nope.  The USB to RS-485 adapter gets its power from the USB port.  The Windows Device Manager will detect the adapter without any controller connected or a controller that does not supply power.  And it will work just fine with a controller that does not supply power.  I have that exact situation every day of the year on my Regular network.

A driver is needed on the PC so a com port can be configured/reconized as a "usb port". Doing thill allow the port to be active in JU.  I had to do this both times I added a new PC.  I believed I search the forums and found a thread with the dirver download link. 

1 hour ago, Jago said:

Thank you that was it i was using phone cable instead of Ethernet to connect the adapter

Your welcome . Glad you got it working.

Tom

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Nope.  The USB to RS-485 adapter gets its power from the USB port.  The Windows Device Manager will detect the adapter without any controller connected or a controller that does not supply power.  And it will work just fine with a controller that does not supply power.  I have that exact situation every day of the year on my Regular network.

I duno,,  the usb adaptor did the exact same thing with the controller I had that had a bad 10v regulator in it, in fact that is how I found it, because originally I was on a serial adaptor, took the controller in question went to the LT with the usb adaptor and it did the same thing, proving that the controller board itself was the issue (had tried PIC and 485 converter chips, proved the original ones worked in another board), 

I know the driver for the USB and the computer end might draw power < Oh... I'm not sure if the controller uses 10v as well, so I'll insert my foot in my mouth now.... 

• The topic was locked