Light-O-Rama Forums

Problem with controller not working

Capt_Bill_USMC

I had an issue this evening where my controllers for my singing faces weren't working.  I tried a few different data cables and the problem persisted.  I hooked the hardware utility up and isolated one of the 2 face controllers.  I figured out that the data cable was not the problem.  It was a RJ45 jack.  It is very loose and nothing I do will work.  So, I can use the RJ11 jack or I can swap the controller and make it the last controller on the chain, which would also solve the problem, but that means swapping out 32 channels.  Are there any disadvantages to using the RJ11 jack?  I've seen other posts before where people said it was a temporary fix.  Why temporary?

Thanks in advance!

This topic should be deleted.  I posted it in the wrong topic heading.  I tried to delete it and not sure how to do that.  I apologize for the inconvenience.

You can run a phone line and use the other jack, it will work fine.  Actually I use a phone line out of my computer to my first box since it's flat and I can put it through my window and still close it. (old window).  You can also get a cat 5 splitter and put it on the good connector.

Or if the box is easily removed and you can solder, just resolder the jack.  That should solve the issue.   Sounds like the solder joints have broken loose from the jack.  I've had it happen on the spade lugs that the white neutral wires go to as well.  I just took controller apart, resoldered the connections by adding a little more solder and fixed everything right up.   And haven't had issues in years after doing that.

So if you can solder and have the time to take the controller apart and down during the show off hours, repair it, test and then put it back into service.  It'll take more time to take it down, take it apart and put back together, than it does to resolder the jack back in place!

And take preventative measures (All us Service guys know about PM programs). 

Good - Strong Strain reliefs like the factory CTB16PC's come with.

IMHO adding the CAT5 dongles (requires a 1" hole saw hole to mount. and the R&R of the RJ45 if you want the Weather proof outside connection)

saves the jacks by letting the case take the results of trips and fumbles Well worth the price (which is cheaper than many other places offer just the connector.

http://store.lightorama.com/rjwada.html

Edited by TheDucks
fix typo

• The topic was locked