Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR website won't load to get software

Al Saunders

Hi Everyone,

I have our show up and running on my main laptop and am trying to get LOR loaded onto my wife's laptop so I can finish two more songs for our show. I have my license key and am running some version of S4. So far all I'm able to get loaded is an older version of S3 that obviously won't work with the current sequences I am working on in S4.

My main trouble is for some reason her laptop is completely blocking the LOR main site from loading. So I am unable to get the latest version of S4 onto her laptop. I've tried loading using my IPhone hot spot, home Wi-Fi and even hooked up a cat6 cable from our router to her laptop. Nothing. I did hook it up to our network at work and was getting messages about Internet Explorer was blocking the website due to certificate errors and then some other things were happening (corporate phone woke up so I disconnected).  So I Googled that and went into internet settings and disabled the check marks about looking for certificates.

I tried to copy my entire LOR file from my laptop to a SD card and load that onto her laptop but I am not familiar with all the file/application names. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get the software onto this laptop? Also, I previously did a windows easy transfer of all my LOR files including the sequences, audio and all other files/programs. And, this laptop hasn't been used in months and neither of us knows the password for her Gmail so I can't email it to her laptop.

I can download it to my work computer but I am blocked from sending anything out even by email. If I can't get this to work on her laptop I'm going to have to work on them after the show ends at night and on the weekend.

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Al

Don't ya just love Internet Exploder???

Download the install file from another computer, and use a USB drive to copy the downloaded install file to the laptop.  Then execute the install file on the laptop.  The filename will be LOR-<version number>.exe  For example the latest versions and filesizes:

LOR-4.4.2.exe  -  89,663 KB

LOR-5.2.2.exe  -  85,220 KB

Next step.  Download and install some other web browser and NEVER use IE again.  One of the first things I do on a new computer or new OS install is to download and install Firefox.  Sometime later I will download and install Google Chrome.

Firstly, copying the LOR program install from one PC to another won't work.

Look at the title bar of any open LOR program to see what version you have

Download that version, it's a single exe file, and copy that to the new laptop, and run it to install. You may need to be in admin mode on the laptop.

2 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Firstly, copying the LOR program install from one PC to another won't work.

Really? Are we talking about the same thing? Did something change I wasn't aware of?

Jim was talking about downloading the software on ComputerX and then copying that file over to ComputerA. Is that what you are saying can't be done?

I am talking about an INSTALLED LOR in Windows,  NOT the installer. The OP said he tried to copy the LOR folders.

I took that to mean the program files.

Just now, PhilMassey said:

I am talking about an INSTALLED LOR in Windows,  NOT the installer. The OP said he tried to copy the LOR folders.

I took that to mean the program files.

Ah. okay. 👍

No.  I was suggesting copying the install file from one computer to another and then running the installer.

Copying the installed files generally does not work well any more because that does not get the required registry changes made.  That has largely been the case since Window 95.  Back in the DOS days, that worked just fine.

Thanks for the info guys. My issue is this. The "new" laptop isn't able to load LOR website so I'm not able to download the software to that laptop. My work computer is able to download it but because of company rules I'm blocked from sending that download (Setup Launcher Unicode) out anywhere. So I thought I might be able to copy my entire LOR files from "my" laptop onto the SD card, which it looks like I did, and then paste them into the LOR files on the "new" laptop. MY laptop is at home running our show.

I guess my main issue is wondering why LOR website is being blocked by IE. Anyway, maybe I can find the LOR EXE on my laptop tonight and send that to the SD card and try installing it on my wife's laptop tomorrow. I did copy the files over successfully both by easy transfer cable and also by SD card.

So I have the LOR files but not the software EXE to actually install my current version on the new laptop.

Thanks again,

Al

Have you tried using Chrome?

Are you blocked from sending the .exe form work? Have you tried renaming it from ending in .exe to .txt? You'll get a warning but you can ignore it. Once it gets to the other side, download it and rename it to .exe. That happens all the tine with blocking .zip files. You just rename the .zip to .piz and it usually works.

46 minutes ago, Al Saunders said:

My work computer is able to download it but because of company rules I'm blocked from sending that download (Setup Launcher Unicode) out anywhere. So I thought I might be able to copy my entire LOR files from "my" laptop onto the SD card, which it looks like I did, and then paste them into the LOR files on the "new" laptop. MY laptop is at home running our show.

I find that a little odd.  If you are able to copy the Program Files \ Light-O-Rama folder, it seems odd that you can't copy a single .exe file to a USB drive.

49 minutes ago, Al Saunders said:

I guess my main issue is wondering why LOR website is being blocked by IE

As I said before - download and install a better browser.

Hey Jim,

I just downloaded Chrome and was able to open LOR website. I downloaded S4 version as close to the one I am using.

At work I can't even share a JPG let alone an EXE file! :P

I should be good now. I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks,

Al

• The topic was locked