Light-O-Rama Forums

My Controllers wont work with the sequnence

JRWBLUMATION

I need help guys!     So we have three new Gen 3 controllers on their own Comm network, which is set as "Aux B", so they will receive the instructions from SEditor sent to AUx B. Each of the 3 controllers have unique IDs 10.11.and 12 respectively. They each performed perfectly when I had them connected by themself and they turned the LEDs on and off as part of the sequence. But once I daisy chained them together with cat5e, the Sequences will NOT work at any of the three controllers.   In addition to this, when I use Hardware Utility to search Comm 7, which all 3 are definitely on, only 1 unit is found.  Yes, I have set the unit Max ID search to 16 units, so I'm not missing them. They worked alone when I set them up and tested, but they will not work all 3 together for a sequence! And not in any combination, I've tried that. I tried switching Cat5s out and switching the In/out Cat5s around. I'm stuck, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

I would check the jacks on the controllers to make sure you don't have any bent pins.  Also, what is the status light doing on the controllers when you've got either the HU or SE up?  Are they on steady (which means they are communicating to the HU/SE) or blinking?  I would also just verify your channel setups in your sequences.  Try running the verifier utility against your sequence file(s) and see if it comes up with any errors.  There have been a lot of reports of the HU not seeing a controller but it works fine in SE.

Hey thanks jfuller8400, I did check the jacks and don’t see any bent pins. All of the controllers have solid green status lights on whether the HU/SE is running or not. The verify did come up with message 28- a channel in some of my sequences has no input so I should delete it to increase speeds... but that doesn’t explain the issue of the controllers not appearing in HU or working with SE, once I daisy chained them.  

I’m wondering if the jacks are broken in some a other way, or if the boards inside the controllers need a hard reset....

I tried to add them to a dif network as well and same issue 

All Solid Green! Quick test. Unplug the INPUT network cable.  Does the LED now blink? If Yes, the network is being seen.(re attach cable).

You have a DEVICE or network configuration error.  (I go with Device, since HU only sees one with all LEDs solid

What unit ID did you set into each controller?  How did you do it?

What pins is the JP3 jumper on (see P9 of the manual)

Channel configuration error check:

In the SE open Tools: Network configuration.  Something is set wrong (Network,  ID)

Hi the ducks, 

I set the unit ID to 10,11, and 13 for each of the three new Gen 3 contollers. I also set them on their own network; prior to this, they were sharing a network with two Pixie 8 trees, and they blinke don and off during a sequence/show.   ( I wanted the trees on their own 500k enhanced network.)   I set the Unit IDs for the controllers that are not working by unplugging all other networks and devices, and manually set the IDs in Hardware Utility one at a time- and I tested them via Console (they worked).  When I do this again, they will not appear however. I know its not the Comm/adapter, because it works with other devices. Only controller 11 woks, and it will not output data to any other controller (tho Im assuming its the other two controllers because they will not appear on the network even when only one is attached). I DID try the Channel configuration check : there was an error where There were two different "unit 11s" listed, but That seems more like it would mess up the Unit 11 sequence than prevent other controllers from being recognized?  It could be a unit ID problem or the JP3- Ill look at the JP3 thing now,  but do you think it could be that there was something done wrong in HU when I set the others up?

Edited by JRWBLUMATION

55 minutes ago, JRWBLUMATION said:

Hi the ducks, 

I set the unit ID to 10,11, and 13 for each of the three new Gen 3 contollers. I also set them on their own network; prior to this, they were sharing a network with two Pixie 8 trees, and they blinke don and off during a sequence/show.   ( I wanted the trees on their own 500k enhanced network.)   I set the Unit IDs for the controllers that are not working by unplugging all other networks and devices, and manually set the IDs in Hardware Utility one at a time- and I tested them via Console (they worked).  When I do this again, they will not appear however. I know its not the Comm/adapter, because it works with other devices. Only controller 11 woks, and it will not output data to any other controller (tho Im assuming its the other two controllers because they will not appear on the network even when only one is attached). I DID try the Channel configuration check : there was an error where There were two different "unit 11s" listed, but That seems more like it would mess up the Unit 11 sequence than prevent other controllers from being recognized?  It could be a unit ID problem or the JP3- Ill look at the JP3 thing now,  but do you think it could be that there was something done wrong in HU when I set the others up?

If the ID reverted to 01, I would say it was the reset jumper..  I don't think Gen 3 controllers need Enhanced or above 115K.  Try simple

Hi again, the ID did not revert to 01 after I shut down, moved the jumper over, powered on, moved it back, and powere don again. Unit ID stays as 11/10. 

Back to your original post.  Your controller addresses are 10, 11, and 12.  You also said the you set the controller count in the HU to 16.

The controller addresses are hexadecimal, but the unit count in the HU is a decimal value (I think).   So  10 hex=16, 11 hex=17, and 12 hex=18.

My guess it the HU is only finding the controller with address 10.  Try to set the count in the HU higher than 18 and see what happens.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LORisAwesome said:

Back to your original post.  Your controller addresses are 10, 11, and 12.  You also said the you set the controller count in the HU to 16.

The controller addresses are hexadecimal, but the unit count in the HU is a decimal value (I think).   So  10 hex=16, 11 hex=17, and 12 hex=18.

My guess it the HU is only finding the controller with address 10.  Try to set the count in the HU higher than 18 and see what happens.

Yep - great advice. 

Just verified it.  The Max Unit ID is in Hex, however the slider if changing the Max is in decimal.

Thank you all,  I gave this a try, and the Max unit ID was set for 18 as suggested.  10, 11, and 12 would be found even with a Hexadecimal count, right?

6 minutes ago, JRWBLUMATION said:

Thank you all,  I gave this a try, and the Max unit ID was set for 18 as suggested.  10, 11, and 12 would be found even with a Hexadecimal count, right?

You don't need this number tightly set.  It just saves SCAN time, locating controllers. Set it to 2F, the few extra seconds  (and we are talking seconds) saved gives yo wiggle room for all but PIX* type controllers

BTW if your ID's also represent the 10th-13th (dumb) controllers. 0A, 0B, 0C ,0D is their HEX ID's

• The topic was locked