Light-O-Rama Forums

What Pro effects can I user with older devices

Rabeiler

I have two 16 channel ctrls that will not run Enhanced network. I also have some older flood units. The 2 ctrls and the 2 flood units are running on a regular 57k network, not enhanced. Can I use these with SuperStar? I have tried a motion effect and that will not work without network being advanced.

Yes and no.  In order to use Motion Effects or Intensity Files from SuperStar, it must use an Enhanced network.  In S4 that was easy as you had control of creating Intensity Files or using legacy format.  In S5, that changes.  I do know that you can use SuperStar in S5 with less than a Pro level license, so there has to be a way to have SuperStar Effects come out in non Intensity file format.  Unfortunately, I can't answer they how (in detail).  Assuming that you have the network defined as non-enhanced, my guess is that the Sequencer will understand that those devices are are on a non-enhanced network and not include them in an Intensity file.

This is one that either Brian or Matt is going to have to answer.

Matt tells me "you could use it in "S4 mode" with legacy export, but they don't have a way to create a visualization"

This is something Matt and I can work on next year.

So I am really confused Brian. I am on my sequencing computer (not controlling the lights). I use SS to sequence my traditional lights that are on an enhanced network. Everything plays fine on the sequencing computer. Now I go to my show computer to test the sequence and it will not run without me removing "motion effects". Well, I did not use motion effects. I used SS. Why will this not work? How do I get my traditional lights working with SS?

Very frustrated.

If you have 16 channel controllers that are gen3 then you can run them on an enhanced network and thus you can have motion effect rows on them.

But as you say, if you have older controllers that are not gen3 then you cannot run them on an enhanced network and thus you cannot have a motion effect row on them.

But you should be able to launch superstar on its own and use a visualization of your traditional lights (or use the create quick vis feature to create a quick visualization) and then export the sequence as a .lms file. And then read in that .lms file into the S5 sequencer and as long as the channels in the .lms file match the channels in your S5 Preview then the commands will get assigned to the controllers in your S5 Preview. Is that what you are doing?

12 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

If you have 16 channel controllers that are gen3 then you can run them on an enhanced network and thus you can have motion effect rows on them.

But as you say, if you have older controllers that are not gen3 then you cannot run them on an enhanced network and thus you cannot have a motion effect row on them.

But you should be able to launch superstar on its own and use a visualization of your traditional lights (or use the create quick vis feature to create a quick visualization) and then export the sequence as a .lms file. And then read in that .lms file into the S5 sequencer and as long as the channels in the .lms file match the channels in your S5 Preview then the commands will get assigned to the controllers in your S5 Preview. Is that what you are doing?

I will need to experiment with that process. That was NOT what I was doing. 

Thanks, Ross