Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Pole keeps breaking

Richard365

I have the 16 string mega tree. I have two 10' section of Black Steel Pipe. Last year the pipe broke at the threads of the coupler after up a few weeks. This year The pipe broke at the threads again at the coupler.  What can I use to prevent this from happening?

Perhaps use a larger diameter pole - you can put a reduction fitting at the top if it need to reduce to a certain size to it your tree topper hardware.

20 ft is a nice tree. it can really get hit by wind.  What diameter pipe?  +1 jamills.   Did you re-buy the same diameter as last year?   Do you have guy wires in the middle or top?   What is holding it at the base?

I know someone who was able to transport a 20ft pipe so it had no coupling.  

Edited by ItsMeBobO

right now I am using 1" Size pipe.  Just seeing what size pipe everybody else is using. This year I added the 36" star to the top, But the pipe still broke last year without the star.. Yes I am using the same pole. This year the pipe broke at the threads before I had a chance to put it in the ground.  Black Iron / steel from homedepot.

Edited by Richard365

I am using 1" black steel pipe also.   This is my second year for this pipe.  

Are you tightening the pipes with a coupler all the way in?   Using two pipe wrenches?

Yes, The pipe is still in the coupler. Broke right at the coupler was new pipe and couple.  I just read the tree topper can take 1 1/2" pipe. I don't want to go out and buy another $100 worth of pipe and the I 1/2 " breaks.  Then I would have to use a reducer to screw it into the pipe in the ground, With the weather being cold and rainy, I wouldn't be able to put a new pipe in the ground.. I have 4 guidewires at the top. hooked to the tree topper.

Edited by Richard365

You say it broke before standing it up?   Were you lifting it from the ground with the lights on it? 

I dont use a hole in the ground.  Just a stake pounded into the ground which the pipe goes over.   There is a board with a hole to spread the weight and a face plate.

blff050-3.jpg

Sleeve and  Pin the joint instead of threads (which thin the pip).

Find a size that JUST fits over the pipe. Make it overlap the end by at least 3 diameters (threaded area cut off SQUARELY), The othe end wil get the same overlap (and cutoff). Use a small bolt: there is little SHEAR loading with the 2 pieces of loaded pipe butted . The pins just keep things in place

threads will always be the weakest link - so cut them off and use this pole pin from Christmas Light Show. I've used it for years, with guy wires attached at the top with 130 strings, Oklahoma ice storms, wind - holds perfectly.

https://christmaslightshow.com/products/pole-pin-8-for-mega-tree

40 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

threads will always be the weakest link - so cut them off and use this pole pin from Christmas Light Show. I've used it for years, with guy wires attached at the top with 130 strings, Oklahoma ice storms, wind - holds perfectly.

https://christmaslightshow.com/products/pole-pin-8-for-mega-tree

Yup. Exactly what I used. I use 2 of them. My tree pole is 2 10 ft sections of 1 1/4 inch and a 5 ft section of black water pipe. With the pins and 4 guy wires I haven't had an issue in 5 years.

• Like 2

I use a single 23 foot 1-1/4" steel pipe.  I cemented an insert into the ground that it goes in with 4 guy wires coming off the top.  Pipe hangs from bike hooks in the ceiling of my garage during the off season.

Last year I screwed the one inch pipe into the one inch pipe cemented in the ground. This year I put a 1 1/2 inch pipe in the ground with 3 feet above the ground.  I was going to slide the one inch pipe into the 1 1/2" and drill holes to keep tree from moving. But the pipe broke before I was able to put the pipe into the 1 1/2" pipe. The pole pin from Christmas Light Show says use when adding 5' pole. I am adding 10' black pipe plus a 4' black pipe  1/2"  for the 36" star.

Edited by Richard365

4 minutes ago, Richard365 said:

Last year I screwed the one inch pipe into the one inch pipe cemented in the ground. This year I put a 1 1/2 inch pipe in the ground with 3 feet above the ground.  I was going to slide the one inch pipe into the 1 1/2" and drill holes to keep tree from moving. But the pipe broke before I was able to put the pipe into the 1 1/2" pipe. The pole pin from Christmas Light Show says use when adding 5' pole. I am adding 10' black pipe plus a 4' black pipe  1/2"  for the 36" star.

not needed in my opinion - but if you want to overkill - they have a longer one. The entire idea is removing the threaded part where the metal has been reduced. Then fill that area with a solid chunk of steel - it won't break here. if your tree fails - it's not due to the pole pin failing...

https://christmaslightshow.com/products/pole-pin-12-for-mega-tree

Sounds good, now I have to buy 1-1/4" pipe .lol already have three 10' section of 1" pipe.  Will the 1-1/4" pipe go into my 1-1/2 " pipe I have in the ground?  Need to bring tape measure to see.

well I order the Pole Pin (12") for Mega Tree. The shipping cost more than the pole...Now I guess I have to buy 1 1/4 Black pipe. When I go buy the pipe, Should I have them cut the threads off for me? just leave them on ?

Edited by Richard365

28 minutes ago, Richard365 said:

well I order the Pole Pin (12") for Mega Tree. The shipping cost more than the pole...Now I guess I have to buy 1 1/4 Black pipe. When I go buy the pipe, Should I have them cut the threads off for me? just leave them on ?

CUT. that is a weak spot that wastes a portion of what the Pin can gain

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Richard365 said:

I used (2) 10-ft sections of 1-1/4” galvanized rigid pipe and a $1 can of flat black spray paint. 

MUST cut the threads to get the weak link out of the structure. If they will cut off for free, let them. But just where you join the pipes. You may want to screw a hook head or something at the top. It cuts fairly easy with a sawsall or even a hand-hacksaw if you do it yourself. 

Richard

I did NOT cut

I use 1 1/2 inch rigid conduit from Lowes, I used both the threaded coupling and a solid aluminum round stock inside at each pole junction, a little overkill maybe but if the threaded section failed then the solid insert at each coupling would keep the pole from failing. At least that is my plan. No issues in three years, but I did extend my tree 42" this year to use the remainder of light strings that used to lay on the ground. Now I have a 24 foot tree.

I found the solid 1 1/2 inch aluminum round stock on Amazon delivered for less than $20, and drilled a 1/4 inch hole and inserted a 1/4 inch bolt in the bottom pipe to hold it at the right spot as to not slide down and not be at the right spot. Did this at each section to prevent failure as you have had, so far so good and we've had a couple good storms locally without failure.

I use 1 1/4 inch aluminum military antenna poles and never have an sissue. I have even had it up to 48' with no issues. The key is guide ropes.

I never knew how windy it was in Delaware around December until I put up the tree 3 years ago.  I used the fence post first and that failed 2 times the first year, Last year I used the black pipe and it lasted at least until Christmas with the 1" black pipe, This year it broke when putting it up. If I could find a flag pole that would work, Then this 3 man job I could make into a 1 man job.  I bought 16 conductor cable to run to my singing displays . Instead of running 8  extension cords. But the cable was back order and came 6 weeks to late. I bought water proof plugs so I can quick disconnect from Halloween to Christmas.  Mr. P where did you get your aluminum military pole.?

Edited by Richard365