Light-O-Rama Forums

How to modify the length RGB light strings

Lisn2me

I have a couple of spots where the length of the light string is too long (C9 and Bullet RGB lights purchased from LOR) but haven't seen a guide or how to modify those lengths.. I am also thinking about next year where I want to create some props with snowflakes, Snowmen etc. that surely wont need 50 lights. I would prefer to have custom lengths or if there are other options. 

15 minutes ago, Lisn2me said:

I have a couple of spots where the length of the light string is too long (C9 and Bullet RGB lights purchased from LOR) but haven't seen a guide or how to modify those lengths.. I am also thinking about next year where I want to create some props with snowflakes, Snowmen etc. that surely wont need 50 lights. I would prefer to have custom lengths or if there are other options. 

these are 12V or 5V (do label the remnant), just cut the wires (no power) and protect the stub. Smart RBG have 3 wires +12V (or 5V), data, Gnd . Also clearly matk the end that was TOWARD the original piece.  This is the IN end (connects toward the controller)

Dumb RGB has 4 wires +12V, R,G,B and is not sensitive to which end is IN

NOTE Cutting VOIDS warrenties

As far as I'm aware, if they are LOR Smart Pixel strands you can cut them down to any length you want   You'd cut it nearest the last bulb you'll need for the item you're using it for.  Since each pixel is individually controlled, they should be able to cut to any length you'd like as the voltage would be the same since the circuit controlling the RGB L.E.D.s are in the bulb itself.

But don't take my word on this one, as some pixels are different than others, so wait for a few more replies from some that's actually done this, I've read you can do it and read about others doing it, but since I've not tried it yet, I can't say for 100% certainty.

Again, these RGB Pixel strands come in different configurations, so let others here chime in before attempting this operation.  As some may not be able to be cut down or modified.

EDIT: seems The Ducks and I were posting at about the same time.  So looks like they can all be cut.  Thanks TheDucks, I know I'd read about folks doing it, but wanted the OP to hear from others besides me to be sure it could be done.  Not everything you read is always accurate sometimes!

Edited by Orville

Orville, You did make a good point. Don't mix (chip or color  order) types of smart pixels on  the SAME controller or string (if you splice)

I have a number of 'shorten Smart, and a number of lengthened Dumb.

Just be cautious with distance between pixels if you split a smart string. 15' is pushing it on a 12V string

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, these are indeed 12volt and I would plan on using the same chip WS2811 and color order.

I figured you could but wanted to verify as i didn't see much discussion around it, I have a bunch of 15' extensions of the same type I can use make the correct length , good thing on these is that the wire is clearly marked on each side so keeping 12v/data/Gnd shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the tip on marking in and out on the cut strands. 

Orville, just noticed you are in Orlando, I wouldn't mind checking out your display one night.. I am on the East Side.. I'll PM you. 

3 minutes ago, Lisn2me said:

Thanks guys, these are indeed 12volt and I would plan on using the same chip WS2811 and color order.

I figured you could but wanted to verify as i didn't see much discussion around it, I have a bunch of 15' extensions of the same type I can use make the correct length , good thing on these is that the wire is clearly marked on each side so keeping 12v/data/Gnd shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the tip on marking in and out on the cut strands. 

Orville, just noticed you are in Orlando, I wouldn't mind checking out your display one night.. I am on the East Side.. I'll PM you. 

Will be looking for it.  I am on the East Side as well.  I think Northeast, but have others say it's Southeast, but I don't think so.  I'm near the Union Park area, just off Hwy 50 and then down N. Chickasaw Trail and off Millinockett Road.