Light-O-Rama Forums

My First Year - Mad Russian’s Christmas

martsycart

After recording and making many many edits, I think this is the final version. I love the visualizer, but nothing beats real time  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very nice!  You are off to a great start in your first year using LOR.  I love watching lights dancing to TSO songs and this is one of my favorite songs.

Thanks!! Every time I watch one of my videos I try to visualize what I'm going to add next year. Unfortunately the houses in my neighborhood are really close together with tiny yards, so I don't have a lot of space to work with. Might just upgrade to pixie lights instead of trying to add a bunch of more elements. 

5 minutes ago, martsycart said:

Every time I watch one of my videos I try to visualize what I'm going to add next year.

Even before I started setting up anything for this year, I already planned in my head what I was going to add next year LOL.  I think a lot of lighters go through that same thought process. 

I must say though, I'm really impressed with how quickly you caught on and how much you've been able to sequence in a short amount of time.  Gives me hope that maybe I'll be able to sequence my own songs if/when I ever have enough free time.

52 minutes ago, Speedster said:

I'm really impressed with how quickly you caught on

I'm an IT professional so the programming part was simple for me. I also used to take piano lessons as a child, so the musical element was also pretty easy. It's determining the light patterns for the artistic element that is tough for me. Once I think I'm done, I'll record it on my phone and watch it and be like "nope, need to change all these things" lol. I tried to keep it pretty simple this year, didn't want to completely freak my neighbors out. Luckily the entire neighborhood seems to love it so far. 

17 minutes ago, martsycart said:

I'm an IT professional so the programming part was simple for me. I also used to take piano lessons as a child, so the musical element was also pretty easy.

Cool!  I work in IT too (programmer/developer) and also have a strong background in music (guitar, piano/keyboards, drums, bass, songwriting).  So sequencing would be a perfect fit for me because I love being creative.  My problem is I have very little free time (mostly due to a very hectic family life), so I haven't even attempted to sequence a song yet. I think I made the task harder by starting out with 48 channels last year, so it seemed too overwhelming to attempt in my first year.  But there are a lot of Christmas songs by my favorite country singer that don't have sequences, so I think that will motivate me to make time to finally start sequencing on my own.

16 minutes ago, Speedster said:

I have very little free time

It is extremely time consuming. But once you start doing it, it's hard to go back to purchased sequences. I started out by buying one, but then I had to re-arrange the channels to line up with my lights better. Then I started getting nit-picky about the beat and it just went downhill from there. I figure if I'm going to completely edit a purchased sequence, I might as well just start from scratch on my own.

2 minutes ago, martsycart said:

It is extremely time consuming. But once you start doing it, it's hard to go back to purchased sequences.

I decided to join in on the LOR fun too late last year to learn sequencing, and when I found out how long it takes to sequence just one song, I decided to arrange my setup based on how LOR sequences are programmed for each controller, and purchased a bunch of sequences. I told myself last year that I'd get into sequencing in 2018, but this dang thing called "life" just kept getting in the way lol.  So now here I am this year saying the exact same thing that I said last year....."Next year I'm  gonna make time to start sequencing songs"...   ☺️

• Like 1

@martsycart

You are just down the road from me as I am in Franklin. What is your song list like this year?

I am on the Trolley and Limo light tours and get a free limo to see lights so I may swing by and check out the display.

Great job! It is time consuming and I found what works for me is I get up every day  an 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours before everyone else does here all year long and just work on songs. I have been doing this now for 3 years this way so it does not take time away from my family. Patience is key also before you know it your songs are done.

Again Great job.

Tom

Edited by TBS99

Clean ,concise, great timing and sense of movement. A++ for a16 channel display. You get a 🙂 sticker on your report card. 

• Haha 1

Very nice job! This is officially my first year using LOR and love it. I live in Murfreesboro and would love to stop by and watch. 

If you could shoot me your address-cmuller@ajaxturner.com

• The topic was locked