Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitter - strong and weak song transmissions

Star Lord

Thanks to all the support from the forum members here, my Christmas show is running as expected and impressing the neighbors.  

I have a question about my FM transmitter:  why would some mp3 songs transmit strong (from my computer) and weak on others?

thanks,

james 

Since were on the subject of MP3Gain, I have a question for you folks that also use it.  I use it, but sometimes I still don't get the same volume level across all MP3's.   Some still come out lower or louder than others.  

So I'd like to know what settings you folks use that gives you the best results with all MP3's being at least near the same volume level.    

I've tried various settings, but just can't seem to hit the right combination to give me the results I'm trying to attain.

Thanks!

Edited by Orville

14 hours ago, Orville said:

Since were on the subject of MP3Gain, I have a question for you folks that also use it.  I use it, but sometimes I still don't get the same volume level across all MP3's.   Some still come out lower or louder than others.  

So I'd like to know what settings you folks use that gives you the best results with all MP3's being at least near the same volume level.    

I've tried various settings, but just can't seem to hit the right combination to give me the results I'm trying to attain.

Thanks!

When modifying volume output levels, I think mp3gain defaults to 89 decibels, but I crank it up to 95 because that seems to sound better on my outdoor speaker.  But like you, I noticed a song or two that just seemed too quiet compared to the others. I think one of them was Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy by the London Symphony.  For quieter songs like that, I had to increase the volume by about 1 decibel, maybe even 1.5.

17 minutes ago, Speedster said:

When modifying volume output levels, I think mp3gain defaults to 89 decibels, but I crank it up to 95 because that seems to sound better on my outdoor speaker.  But like you, I noticed a song or two that just seemed too quiet compared to the others. I think one of them was Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy by the London Symphony.  For quieter songs like that, I had to increase the volume by about 1 decibel, maybe even 1.5.

That's what I've been doing too.  

I wasn't sure if it was me using a wrong configuration causing this, or it's just inherent in the software that cause some songs, if using the same setting across the board, you still get some variations that some songs are still softer than others.

Well that tells me I've been doing it right then.  Just have to listen to each song and see if any come out softer than the others and increase that particular one as needed.

Thanks Speedster! :D

Edited by Orville

5 minutes ago, Orville said:

Well that tells me I've been doing right then.  Just have to listen to each song and see if any come out softer than the others and increase that particular one as needed.

Exactly.  Getting all your songs around the same output level using mp3gain is a start, and maybe that's all that most people have to do.  But a song or two may have to be tweaked to a higher output level in order for it to be heard at the same volume level as other songs. 

• Thanks 1