Light-O-Rama Forums

CCB Extension Needed

FW50

I have the older CCB with 4 conductor wires.  I need to extend one of the 50 bulb strings about 10 feet.  LOR says it cannot be extended (maybe that is only with their cables?).  Is there ANY way?

These are 5V bulbs?  There is a tight distance limit at low voltage. IF LOR says no. I would believe them. They usually make suggestions when they can't directly supply your request 👍

• 5 months later...

I took the chance and extended a couple of older CCB strings with 4 conductor wire to allow easier access to the controller on the roof.  Both were extended approximately 10' with no issue and have been running in my show for a number of years.  Just spliced in a length of 4 conductor wire between the connector and the bulbs.  My thought was if it doesn't work I will just remove the extension.  Remember any modifications will void your warranty.   

On 11/28/2018 at 7:54 PM, FW50 said:

I have not "asked" LOR, but the site for extensions says the 4 conductor cables can't be extended.

Older CCB are 5V. The wire size (+ and -) needs to be lots bigger to avoid voltage drop. (5V also has tighter limits 5% VS 10%). While 18ga might be fine for a 10' @12V, you need at least 14ga for 5V

• The topic was locked