Light-O-Rama Forums

Custom Timing

mrduncan

S4 allowed for different timing marks on the individual tracks.  I used custom timing on tracks that had talks face props since vocals don’t follow the music beats.  When I opened a S4 file in S5, all the timing mark were the same.  Is there a way to have different timing marks in the individual Grid Views? 

Thanks, but I am not sure what you mean.  My question was does S5 allow different timing grids within the same sequence file for the different Grid Views.

If you've used S4, (or S3) then you've seen the Timing thingy in the tool bar. (At least, I hope you have)

Alas, you can change timing grids in S5, just like you could in S4.

Not sure if we are on the same page.  The only timing options I see is when I right click on one of the Grid View cells.  I can change the timing within an individual Grid View, but it applies across all of the individual Grid Views.

I would attach a pic of my S4 Editor to show you what I'm referring to but the allowed 10kb file is unreadable. 

Edited by mrduncan

It works the same, btw. I set up a 1 second and a 5 second timing grid, and two different views (the left side of that image I posted.) Switched between the views and the timing would switch between the the timing grids, the one that I had assigned to the view/track.

Ok, I see how it works.  You have to select the FreeForm number to change to a different set of timing marks.......which is also applied across all the GridViews.  Wow, this used to be easier in S4.   In my S4 sequences, I have at least 3 different timing layouts.  Here is the harder question......can you individually import the the timing grids from S4 to S5?

Edited by mrduncan

Disregard,  I think I see it now.  When I selected FreeForm2, it was blank.  But I see different timing mark on FreeForm 3, 4, 5.

You didn't set that link public.

4 minutes ago, mrduncan said:

You have to select the FreeForm number to change to a different set of timing marks

??? To create a new grid, maybe. But the changing between marks would just be the dropdown, like S4.

A quick import of a S4 created sequence into S5 shows that the timing grids will come over as well.

Sorry, this is the first time I've used DropBox and I'm not sure how to provide the link to the pic.  I really don't recall how I setup the individual track timing marks since most of these file were developed many years ago, but I see all the different timing marks across all the tracks in the main view without having to select any timing option drop downs.  The pic I tried to send you would show this.

The S5 machine is at the house, and I'm not going to try and record video remotely.

Dropdowns for Timing have been there for a very long time. It's a little hard to see in the pic I posted, because I have dark/night mode set, but there is a dropdown arrow there. You can easily switch between different timing grids from there.

2 minutes ago, mrduncan said:

The bottom 2 tracks have different timing than the top tracks.

Okay, In the image you posted "Track 5" is the selected track. (See the green bar on Track 5?) Now look up at the very top of the image. See "[Unnamed Timing Grid]" up there?

Now click on a channel inside of Track 6. You might see the timing grid change names. You might not if they are all unnamed.

You could also click the dropdown arrow on the far RIGHT of the timing bar to see how many timing grids you have in there. You could then click on the TIMING BUTTON there in the top tool bar and change the names of the timing grids.

I see that now.  I haven't developed any new sequences in about 3 years.  I never had to mess the timing drop down drop.  I just made the timing changes on the individual tracks.

I know I'll grow to like S5 over time and there is probably a logical reason in S5 that you have select the individual Freeform timing for the individual Grid Views (if they are different).  In S4, I never had to mess with it because all the different track timings were visible in the main editor screen.

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by mrduncan