Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help Computer sound related

Randy Martin

1. used this computer for years controlling LOR lights, Older one (Vista pro home)

2. updated graphic card recently

3. Now have no sound (monitor or head phones)

4. Go to sound and the only thing there to pick from is high definition HDMI. there was a icon for speakers anolog witch Is what I need.

4. how can I get this back

5. I used the head phone jack for the FM. transmitter

Is the audio from a plug in audio card or is it built onto the motherboard?

Open the Device Manager, and see if you can update the driver (or force a reload of the current driver) of the audio device.

look at settings for the video and see if there is a setting that forces it to be the only audio.

Me. Grunts beat me to it...

Hated Vista - so glad I no longer have anything running it...

Some devices requir that a device of the proper (expected) Impedance be connected before the port enables. 'Headphones' work this way.. They are low to mid Impedance devices. A Audio input is a High Impedance input. Not low enough to be detected as 'connected'

But what you state: Your new video card has a HDMI out that when its driver installed, stomped the builtin Audio.

34 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Some devices requir that a device of the proper (expected) Impedance be connected before the port enables. 'Headphones' work this way.. They are low to mid Impedance devices. A Audio input is a High Impedance input. Not low enough to be detected as 'connected'

But what you state: Your new video card has a HDMI out that when its driver installed, stomped the builtin Audio.

Is it possible to deactivate the hdmi port in the device manager so the builtin audio will work?

I had a problem last year on a Windows 10 computer caused by a big Windows update that caused my audio to stop working.  I did everything I could to make it work again, but couldn't.  Instead of opening up the computer to install a new sound card I ended up getting one of these USB soundcards.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/roccat-juke-virtual-7-1-usb-stereo-gaming-soundcard-headset-adapter/5057511.p?skuId=5057511

Works great.  Still haven't been able to fix the on-board audio, so I'm glad I got the USB soundcard.  If you can't get your audio working again soon you might want to consider this option.

Edited by Speedster

59 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Is it possible to deactivate the hdmi port in the device manager so the builtin audio will work?

The HDMI port should be an Alternate Output.

I habe a Blutooth dongle, that I Pair with my Home (Office) Theater receiver when I reall want SOUND.  (I use an Logitec BT adapter that plugs into a standard set of RCA jacks or 3.5mm socket) no cords across the room)

All these devices appear as Output devices.

Randy, go to the Manufactures site  for the original sound device (Computer board maker if builton to the MB) and get a fresh driver  designed for your OS (don't trust Win Updates to get ALL driver updates correct. Board makers do tricks that detection by 'chipset' does not consider.. )

Thanks to all for the help. I ordered a usb sound card got to wait for it.

I ended up having to go into the bios  and enabling the onboard sound there.

Thanks again everyone.

• The topic was locked