Light-O-Rama Forums

Working with S4 Sequences in S5

mrduncan

I'm sure since S5 is pretty much a totally new LOR environment compared to S4 that there is a proper way to bring in S4 sequences and visualization files into S5.  I successfully did it once with one first use of S5 but after modifying some props in the Previews Editor and trying to reorganize the props back into their original Grid Views, I ended up with a couple of duplicate channels that I not sure how to delete.

After playing around with S5 for about 6 hours now, I decided to delete the file and start over.  But, I not sure how I linked the original S4 sequence to the S4 visualization file the first time as now nothing appears in the Preview screen when a play a sequence. 

I'm in the same boat. I haven't spent 6 hours yet though. I hope you get a response soon. It will safe me sometime. I'll keep digging and if I find the answer I'll post it here.

I would HIGHLY recommend against trying to convert to S5 at this time.  Stay with S4 for this year, but plan on switching after your 2018 show is completed.  There’s a quite large learning curve moving from S4 to S5.  Note that I started playing with the S5 with day 1 of the beta in mid 2017, but I ran my 2017 show entirely in S4.  However I migrated to S5 as soon as my 2017 show was taken down and returned to my year round landscape lighting show.

Yeah, I have a really old computer (with S4) that I use for the actual light show and my main computer (with S5) to do all the programming on.  I'm slowly learning how to use S5.  So, any minor changes to this year's sequences will definitely be done on the S4 computer while I play on the S5 computer.

After playing around with S5 for several hours and reviewing some of the S5 tutorials, the main issue is the S5 menu layout is totally different than previous versions.  This biggest difference I'm seeing is that for any new channels, you must first generate new prop in the preview editor. 

The main problem is that some of the props I generated on the S4 are not transferring over to S5 very cleanly.  The S5 editor and preview works and looks fine to run the S4 sequences but since the some of the S4 were poorly generated, the S5 preview editor Design and String Summary have a lot for additional information for the individual props then would is really needed.

Also, printing out the channel configuration is definitely more challenging. But, because of my poorly designed props in S4, in order to make the channel configuration usable requires stripping out a lot of the clutter.

I had the same issue.  I found it better to delete the props that don't translate well and start adding back.  It didn't take that much longer and you finally get what you really want.  Once it is set, you wont have to worry with it.

Initially, I started rebuilding some of my props but wasn't sure what I was doing and totally messed up the channels.  But, after playing with of for a couple of hours, I think I've figured out what I was doing wrong so I deleted the entire file and started over.