Light-O-Rama Forums

Updating Prop Definition In Show

Monsen

I built several coro props with 50 pixel strings (WS2811) and added them to my preview.  Used the new Hub to create a show on an SD card and everything works fine, except I realized I wanted to add more pixels to 3 of my 6 coro props.  I took a 50 pixel string and cut them down to 35 pixels and added it to prop.  I went back to my previewer and updated the prop definition to be a single string with 85 pixels.  I saved the prop definition and the musical sequence file, created another playback file, and used the Hub once again to update the SD card.  However, when I went to play the show again it still only lights up 50 pixels in the string on all 3 props I updated.  I've tried a few things like defining it as 2 strings with the same channel number, tried deleting and redoing the motion effect, but nothing I've tried appears to update the prop definition to properly light all 85 pixels in the string.  Is there a step I'm missing?  I haven't tried deleting the props altogether and recreating them, was hoping I'm missing a simple step before going through that hassle and updating all of the musical sequences.  And I'm using the factory connector on the light strings to tie them together, so the connections should be good.  Not a bad solder job or anything.  

Any input would be appreciated!  Thanks.  

You don't mention what controller(s) these pixels are on. Without that info, it's a guessing game.

(smart ass mode on) I guess "banana"

Alan...

Sorry, figured it was just a software programming issue.  The pixels are running on a Pixie16 controller.  Right now it is only controlling these 6 props, simply doing a twinkle effect for most of the show.  

Is your Pixie16 set to 100 pixels per port? If it isn't, it wouldn't know there are an additional 35 pixels on the string thus not bother sending data to them. That's why it is important to know the controller.

If you don't know, here's how to check. Hook up the Pixie16 (by itself) in Hardware utility, refresh, when HU finds it click the Config Button to open the second screen. I just got mine yesterday and happen to have it on the bench, mine came pre set to 100 pixels per port, even though I am using 50.

monsen1.png

monsen2.png

If it is set to 100 and not working, open your preview in Preview Editor, click the String Summary tab and and snap a picture and upload it.

Alan...

Ah crap, you're probably right about the port config.  Unfortunately I've been having a problem connecting the Pixie16 to my desktop and for some reason have been burning out the USB485 adapter.  I burned through 2 adapters, one of which fried my USB ports in my desktop (fortunately still under Dell warranty), and had the third one working for about 2 weeks which allowed me to set all my controllers up before it too randomly overheated last week and no longer works.  That's why I'm running the show off the SD Card.  Bottom line I currently don't have a way to connect my controller to the HU to check my port config.  Pretty sure your solution is what I needed though, so thanks for the feedback.  Greatly appreciate it.  I'll continue trying to figure out why my adapters burn out before I buy a 4th one and try to reconfigure.

Thanks!

Have you contacted LOR aout this? Since you have went through 3 adapters, I would be looking real hard at the Pixie16. LOR has great customer service, although they are very busy this time of year, right now in particular.

Whatever you find out, please keep us informed. Never heard of this.

Alan...

I did contact LOR about the issue and they were very responsive.  I agree their customer service is great.  They said there was a chance that it was a bad power supply which didn't provide isolation between line voltage and neutral.  I purchased a new power supply, even a different brand, but it still happened on the 3rd adapter with the completely different power supply.  Since I thought I had my show up and running I wasn't going to bother with it until after the holidays as I'm sure the team at LOR is swamped.  If I can dial in the cause I'll definitely post to the forum to hopefully make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else.  

Thanks again.