Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple controllers using the same id controller #

Dave Pursel

I've had 3 channels go out on the 64 channel mega tree.  Driven by 4 - CTB16PC controllers.  Since I have a spare controller can I add the spare controller with a duplicated controller id and then unplug the channels that are problem channels and plug those into the spare and drive those 3 channels on the spare controller so I don't have to change my sequences? The assumption is that the controllers are receiving commands and two would receive the same commands but I don't see that causing a electrical kind of conflict.  Command wise neither.  Until I try to use the HU anyway.  ??? 

Short answer is yes, you can have multiple controllers with the same Unit Id.  they will both (or all if more than two) respond to the same commands.  For the longer answer, if all three failed channels are on the same controller, simply swap the controller with your spare.  if the three failed channels are scattered on different controllers, it gets a little more complicated - since you can't have different controller IDs within the same controller.  In that case, you are likely going to have to edit some channels.

Thanks for the link Don.  I did a lot of reading of postings trying to find subject matter but failed.  And tx for the input Jim.  I now have a method to the madness to fix the issue short term.  I hate seeing 1 strand of blue intermixed with green or red or white, or two strands of lightly lit green when they should be off..... : (

• The topic was locked