Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with setup

Brianc_1978

I have 2-pixon 16 controllers, 2 pixie 2d controllers  and a PRO Series Addon LOR1602Wg3. I need to figure out the best way to hook this up as I'm running a bit behind this year. Currently I have one of the Pixon 16 controllers hard wired through a window to a router. I have one of the Pixie 2d Controllers hooked up to the to the pixon 16 with an Ethernet cable. The other pixon controller is on its way to me and the other pixie 2d controller is not hooked up yet because I don't have my 2nd pixon 16 controller yet. Currently the Pixon 16 controller is working through the Network configuration. The Standard Pro Series is working through HU. The one Pixie 2d controller that I have hooked up is not working. It's not being found in the network configuration or HU. What am I doing wrong here?

13 minutes ago, Brianc_1978 said:

I have 2-pixon 16 controllers, 2 pixie 2d controllers  and a PRO Series Addon LOR1602Wg3. I need to figure out the best way to hook this up as I'm running a bit behind this year. Currently I have one of the Pixon 16 controllers hard wired through a window to a router. I have one of the Pixie 2d Controllers hooked up to the to the pixon 16 with an Ethernet cable. The other pixon controller is on its way to me and the other pixie 2d controller is not hooked up yet because I don't have my 2nd pixon 16 controller yet. Currently the Pixon 16 controller is working through the Network configuration. The Standard Pro Series is working through HU. The one Pixie 2d controller that I have hooked up is not working. It's not being found in the network configuration or HU. What am I doing wrong here?

There is a file at LOR's download page that you may need to update your older version  LOR Device file

That updates the detection fof newer devices. Instructions are with the file

First of all, I want to make sure you understand that the Pixie and 1602 controllers connect via LOR networking which is RS-485 serial connections and NOT Ethernet.  The Pixcon 16 CAN use either LOR (RS-485) or an Ethernet LAN.  There are different jacks on the Pixcon for Ethernet vs RS-485.  Mixing them up can under the right (or is it wrong) set of circumstances can result in leaking out the magic smoke.   Please get out of the habit of referring to a LOR network cable as an "Ethernet" cable.  It's a Cat-5 (or Cat-5e or Cat-6) cable that happens to be used for Ethernet or in our case RS-485.  One of my recommendations is to use different color cable for each type of networking.  Personally I use green for my E1.31 LAN and purple for LOR networking.  Makes it at least harder to mix them up.

With all that said,  I am gathering that you intend to use the Pixcon 16 as a E1.31 to LOR network bridge.  I don't own any Pixcon 16 controllers so don't know how that is configured, but the bottom of page 12 of the Pixcon 16y manual implies that E1.31 to LOR network bridging is possible in the Pixcon 16.

As for the Pixie controllers, I agree with TheDucks that your LOR version won't know what a Pixie is.  If I remember right, you need at least 4.3.18 to recognize a Pixie controller.  I may have that version wrong, but that's the number that I recall.