Light-O-Rama Forums

Running 4 - CTB16PCg3's, but show only plays on 1st controller

_craig_

Hi everyone, 

So I am fairly new to all this. I've run one CTB16PCg3 (firmware 1.08) for the past two years. But this year I purchased 3 more controllers, (all CTB16PCg3, firmware 1.09) and programmed 4 sequences using the 64 different channels, assigning the props to each controller and unique channel. I set up unique ID's for each controller using the HU and tested each one (individually, but not together). I have each controller daisy-chained in order, 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 using cat5e cables and am running everything off of the MP3 Director. Every controller has a steady green light when the SD card is plugged in, and when taken out, the green light flashes on each controller so I assume they are talking to each other. 

The issue I'm having is that everything is only playing on the first controller. The other three controllers are sitting dormant. For example, the opening sequence is using controller 3 and 5 for the first half of the sequence. But when running the show live, the system treats it like there is only the first controller. I thought it could be the network type, so I changed it to enhanced. That did not resolve the issue. The controllers were originally setup with the oldest controller as the 1st. I have since moved it to be the last (4) and moved a new controller to the 1st thinking it might be the firmware. That too has not resolved the issue.

Can anyone help? I apologize if I haven't given enough information. If there is anything else I can/should provide to help trouble shoot this, please let me know. And thanks in advance for the help! 

Run the LOR Verifier program and see what information it gives you. 

You may not have those additional controllers set up in the software correctly or there could be other issues, this program will highlight all errors in red, so you can see what may be wrong.

You may see an error such as Application file has unexpected version number.  This error CAN BE IGNORED!  It has no relevance on your issue, it just means that the version number doesn't match what it finds in some of the LOR Programs, but it's just informational info, and nothing to be worried about.

You also will see an error in Orange, it's not exactly an error, but a Warning message, usually this one states a Channel is completely off, if you know the channel is supposed to be on, then open and check the sequence and Controller information.  I get Sequence is completely off, but these sequences are new sequences I haven't really started sequencing yet, so I know all channels {Sequence} are going to be completely off in them, as the errors also show where the files are and their filename are located with the errors displayed.

Only other error I get is Media file not found or Media File Does Not exist, this happens because I either renamed, removed or moved the Media file I used to a different location.  However, in my version the Verifier DOES NOT LIST this error when it's finished and display all errors and warnings.   Don't know why it doesn't display that error, it should{or so I'd think!}

Edited by Orville

Solid LED says they are connected.

So

Check the Network assignment in the sequence editor.

Since they are Daisy chained, the Network name should be the same as the one that works. The ID numbers should match the controllers assigned

Oh, and the network type is LOR for each

59 minutes ago, Orville said:

Run the LOR Verifier program and see what information it gives you. 

You may not have those additional controllers set up in the software correctly or there could be other issues, this program will highlight all errors in red, so you can see what may be wrong.

You may see an error such as Application file has unexpected version number.  This error CAN BE IGNORED!  It has no relevance on your issue, it just means that the version number doesn't match what it finds in some of the LOR Programs, but it's just informational info, and nothing to be worried about.

You also will see an error in Orange, it's not exactly an error, but a Warning message, usually this one states a Channel is completely off, if you know the channel is supposed to be on, then open and check the sequence and Controller information.  I get Sequence is completely off, but these sequences are new sequences I haven't really started sequencing yet, so I know all channels {Sequence} are going to be completely off in them, as the errors also show where the files are and their filename are located with the errors displayed.

Only other error I get is Media file not found or Media File Does Not exist, this happens because I either renamed, removed or moved the Media file I used to a different location.  However, in my version the Verifier DOES NOT LIST this error when it's finished and display all errors and warnings.   Don't know why it doesn't display that error, it should{or so I'd think!}

I ran the verify and I get three errors (same errors in for each sequence), all orange. 

1. Sequence is completely off. - Warning - 29
  2. Channel is completely off. -  Warning - 28 - Channel c0  
  3. Channel is missing settings. - Warning - 30 - Channel c0

My guess is #3 comes from having setup a channel for a CCR and Pixie controller that I purchased but did not program because it was a bit daunting to try to do in such a short period of time. If I am reading this right, #2 is referencing that same channel. #1 worries me though. Every sequence I have, does have music and effects added. But maybe I'm missing something here. 

50 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Solid LED says they are connected.

So

Check the Network assignment in the sequence editor.

Since they are Daisy chained, the Network name should be the same as the one that works. The ID numbers should match the controllers assigned

Oh, and the network type is LOR for each

Sorry, this is the noob coming out here.... Where do I find the network assignment in the sequence editor? (I'm using S5)

2 minutes ago, _craig_ said:

Sorry, this is the noob coming out here.... Where do I find the network assignment in the sequence editor? (I'm using S5)

I think I may have found it. Is it in the prop definition? 

50 minutes ago, _craig_ said:

Sorry. S4 user here.

I just searched the 5.2 manual 😕

This may be it

5.3.4.2 Channel Conflicts & Bulk Changes Tab

4 hours ago, _craig_ said:

I ran the verify and I get three errors (same errors in for each sequence), all orange. 

1. Sequence is completely off. - Warning - 29
  2. Channel is completely off. -  Warning - 28 - Channel c0  
  3. Channel is missing settings. - Warning - 30 - Channel c0

My guess is #3 comes from having setup a channel for a CCR and Pixie controller that I purchased but did not program because it was a bit daunting to try to do in such a short period of time. If I am reading this right, #2 is referencing that same channel. #1 worries me though. Every sequence I have, does have music and effects added. But maybe I'm missing something here. 

That first one means exactly what it says, there is NO SEQUENCING COMMANDS in the Sequence.  I have a WIP {Work In Progress} folder, there are a few new sequences there I have yet to do anything with, and so I get that same error #1 as you above.  

If these are sequences that you know ARE SUPPOSED to have been sequenced, go to the location and open the sequence up and look at it, if there are no indications of blocks being on in there, chances are it's a sequence that never got sequenced with lighting commands. 

Remove it and place it in another directory away from actual working sequences.  If this is the first sequence in your show file list, then this is more than likely the culprit in some of the issues you're running into. 

It may not be, but it does look like to be the likely candidate from my perspective.

Edited by Orville

6 hours ago, Orville said:

That first one means exactly what it says, there is NO SEQUENCING COMMANDS in the Sequence.  I have a WIP {Work In Progress} folder, there are a few new sequences there I have yet to do anything with, and so I get that same error #1 as you above.  

If these are sequences that you know ARE SUPPOSED to have been sequenced, go to the location and open the sequence up and look at it, if there are no indications of blocks being on in there, chances are it's a sequence that never got sequenced with lighting commands. 

Remove it and place it in another directory away from actual working sequences.  If this is the first sequence in your show file list, then this is more than likely the culprit in some of the issues you're running into. 

It may not be, but it does look like to be the likely candidate from my perspective.

Okay now I'm really confused. I just verified that each sequence is actually a working sequence, yet the Verify tool is populating the same 3 errors. I also tried the single show and it gives me the same errors. 

I updated my software to 5.2.2 Pro (was running 5.1.4 Pro before) and ran the verify again. Now I am getting 18 errors. 3 that are the same as before, but 15 errors that say "Application File Does Not Exist" - Error - 7. The suggestion was to uninstall Light-O-Rama and reinstall. Doing it now... 

43 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

It is rumored that 5.x verifier is not 100% at this tim

Not a rumor. Mike posted as much a while back. (Meaning that it's not 100% at this time.)

Edited by Don

I have found the issue! Still don’t know the solution, but I now know what is causing the problem so that’s a big step in the right direction. 

When writing the show to an SD card, the files are coming across empty. But if I build the exact same show and use the computer to run it, everything works fine. 

I realize this thread has taken a wild turn now, so I might be better to post a new thread. But any idea why the sequences would be empty if put on an SD card, but not if it is run by a computer? 

I can can run the show via computer, but it makes things a bit more challenging as I don’t have an easy way to run a cat5 cable indoors. 

2 minutes ago, _craig_ said:

When writing the show to an SD card, the files are coming across empty.

Empty? as in Zero Byte files?

Are you using the Hub or the HWU (Hardware Utility) to write the show to the SD card?

Just now, Don said:

Empty? as in Zero Byte files?

Are you using the Hub or the HWU (Hardware Utility) to write the show to the SD card?

Empty, meaning the sequence does not load anything when played. The file size is still a few hundred KB, but doesn’t play. 

I’m using the Hub to write the show to the SD card. 

5 minutes ago, _craig_ said:

I’m using the Hub to write the show to the SD card. 

Switch over to the Hardware Utility and create the show there. See if you get the same thing. Not sure how you are determining that nothing is loading. If the file has data (and based your comment it does) then it should be loading.

Did you ever update the 1.08 version?

The .lms files will be tiny if you are using Intensity files - all the data is in the .lid files.  Sounds like either the .lid files are not getting copied to the SD card or the director does not know what to do with them.  Since you are running S5with a Pro license, I would assume that you are using Intensity files.

I have sequences that are only a few KB in size, these DO NOT have any sequencing done as yet, no lighting commands.  Since it is a Musical Sequence and is married to an MP3 file, the verifier will give me that same warning, Sequence is completely off, because it is.  Again, no lighting commands, I can add that sequence to a show and it will play the music file associated, but since nothing has been sequenced it appears that it's empty.  And in that sense it is. 

I actually have 1 channel sequences and a LOT of them, all give me that error, but they are for my off hours music when the show isn't running.   And I know there are no lighting commands in those because there isn't supposed to be.  If a light on my first or any controller would come on, then I know I accidentally turn a block on in the sequence {before I'd use my entire channel line up as my off hours and get lights turning on at random times and places}, and why I quit doing it that way for my off hours, easier to track down a stray on command and only one line in the sequence. LOL

But that's not your issue, so the question is, is that sequence playing the music at all, is it even recognized for any part of it when the SD Card is inserted into the Director unit?

But you say they are coming up empty after writing them to an SD Card, as in no lights come on and only the first controller responds?  And does the first controller turn on lights when that sequence plays, is it no lights and only the music plays with no lights or it just doesn't play at all?

You are creating playlist files before writing them to the SD Card aren't you?  I know I read in S5 things aren't the same as earlier versions, I keep looking though and reading the manual just to try and know what's what.  Still using S4, but read that you have to convert the files to playlist files from the native file types.  Did you do this before writing the show?   Not sure if the LOR software would find the native files and let you use them, but just a passing thought.

Edited by Orville

Sorry guys, I feel like I'm leading you on a wild goose chase. 

So here's where things are currently. 

I save the sequence (loredit) file type and the sequence fully populates (file size is ~2,500KB)

When I convert the file to a playback file, it saves the sequence without anything (what I'm calling empty) and the file size is then only 2kb. All of my sequences are using every channel at some point in during the sequence. So I know this is where the error is. However, when I use the HU or Hub to build the show, it throws an error saying that the sequence doesnt have programming. I was able to get a sequence to play on my PC instead of the uMP3g3 mini director I have used in the past, but I cannot seem to replicate what I did there. Otherwise I'd just run it off of the PC. 

Heres the noob coming out... but I cant seem to figure out what firmware I'm running on the uMP3g3 Mini Director. I know how to check the controller's firmware, but not the mini director. Any ideas what might be happening? I've posted screenshots of the file folder when trying to create a show vs when simply looking in the folder. You can see the variation of file sizes.

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

3 minutes ago, _craig_ said:

When I convert the file to a playback file, it saves the sequence without anything

That right there is the problem. Everything else is moot at this point.

I've tinkered with S5 very little, so I don't know for sure. Are you getting any sort of error messages/logs when you set up the Playback file? You might want to send one LOREdit file and one of the resulting playback files to the Help Desk and see what they say.