Light-O-Rama Forums

Leaving the Lights on

SmithFamilyGA

I'm trying to determine if it is possible to leave the lights turned on and disconnect the computer. I know the sequence won't be running, I just want all the lights to stay on.

If you are running the show from a computer, then the computer is the device feeding data to the controllers. If you disconnect that data source, the lights go out.

There isn't a setting to default the lights to "on" when no signal is received.

2 hours ago, SmithFamilyGA said:

I'm trying to determine if it is possible to leave the lights turned on and disconnect the computer. I know the sequence won't be running, I just want all the lights to stay on.

Like Don said, using the computer controls the lights.

The best thing to do is make an animation sequence with all the lights on. As long as all lights on doesn't overload the controller.

2 hours ago, Don said:

If you are running the show from a computer, then the computer is the device feeding data to the controllers. If you disconnect that data source, the lights go out.

There isn't a setting to default the lights to "on" when no signal is received.

That’s what I was afraid of. I was hoping there was a hardware switch or something similar to just turn everything on. Guess it’s time to buy some power strips. 

27 minutes ago, SmithFamilyGA said:

That’s what I was afraid of. I was hoping there was a hardware switch or something similar to just turn everything on. Guess it’s time to buy some power strips. 

There has to be something else going on here. If you have the LOR controllers, why would you switch over to power strips?

Why are you needing to disconnect the computer?

My computer is connected 24/7/365 to my controllers, I run an overnight animation sequence that turns on specific lights in the sequence and it repeats from 11pm-6am every single day through Jan. 6, 2019.    I have have my RGB lights doing various fades, chases and such overnight, even during the off hours I have Christmas music playing during the off show times, then the show plays from 5:30pm-10:57pm, gives the last sequence time to play out and change over to the lights on Animation sequence for overnight lights.

Unplugging your elements every night just to have them on via a power strip is going to cost you a lot of time and effort that's really needless.  As then to have you show back up, you're going to have to re-plug everything back into the controller every day and if you forget, no shows going to start.

It's really easier to do this using animation sequences and if your lights can't all be on full power and static at the same time, you can also use 50% intensity to the lights to cut the power draw down.  When I was half incandescent and half LED bulbs, this is what I did and never had any issues with leaving all lights on, but I also started rotating things through the lights, this way I could be sure no over power draw would happen.

Like Don asked, is there some specific reason you can't leave everything connected to the computer?

I'm using my show computer right now as I type this reply, and everything is still connected to it.  No reason for me to disconnect anything from the computer and this is the only computer I have currently for everything I use it for!

Depending on what type of controllers you are using it is possible to run an Animation Show not connected to the computer.  You can download the sequence to the controller and use it as a Stand Alone Controller.  You can also use a Show Time Director (LOR1602MP3) Controller that runs the show off an SD Card.

I also leave the show computer up 24 x 7 x 365.  I have essentially static animations that run overnight every night of the year.

To split hairs, my show computer only runs from mid October until early January.  For the rest of the year, the light show is controlled by my file server instead.  That way I am not having to power the show computer (and the additional air conditioning in the data cabinet) for most of the year.  The file server needs to stay up all the time so it runs the light show during non-show season.

15 hours ago, Don said:

There has to be something else going on here. If you have the LOR controllers, why would you switch over to power strips?

Why are you needing to disconnect the computer?

I use the same computer for work and I need to go out for the evening. I was wanting to leave the lights on while I was gone.

1 minute ago, SmithFamilyGA said:

I use the same computer for work and I need to go out for the evening. I was wanting to leave the lights on while I was gone.

Ah, okay.

I would look into one of the Director products from LOR then. That would allow you to run the show without the computer.

2 minutes ago, SmithFamilyGA said:

Why not Lock the just screen?   Start Menu: Right click your user Icon: Lock

15 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Why not Lock the just screen?   Start Menu: Right click your user Icon: Lock

As TheDucks stated.  My computer is at home, we have roommates now, so my computer when I'm NOT using it is LOCKED and requires a password to access it.  My shows run with no interruption, and I even turned off all auto updates so it doesn't reboot in the middle of a show or when lights are in operation.   

The only issue is if a power failure or glitch happens, or someone turns off the computer and back on and it goes to the password screen, even with the LOR Software set to "Launch at Startup" won't restart the show until you log back in.  So you could still come back and find the lights went out in that case.  

At least that's how it works on MY computer version of Windows {7 Home} I'm using.   I've only had to log back in once because of a power glitch that rebooted the computer.  

So I also have put an access cover over my power button to prevent an unauthorized person to shut my computer down.   They can't get to the power cords or anything behind it either, so no chance of them unplugging it either!

Your best option is to take Don's suggestion and invest in an Director unit, but get one with the time clock built in, this will allow you to set show times for the musical sequences if used and your overnight animation sequences.  Even if the power fails, it'll reboot and restart the show if within the shows time parameters.

Edited by Orville

28 minutes ago, SmithFamilyGA said:

Go out and buy a reconditioned desktop.  For well under the cost of a Director, you can get a computer that will run your show just fine.  If you install VNC or TeamViewer on it, you can remotely access it if you need to see what is happening or make changes while you are out.

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Go out and buy a reconditioned desktop.  For well under the cost of a Director, you can get a computer that will run your show just fine.  If you install VNC or TeamViewer on it, you can remotely access it if you need to see what is happening or make changes while you are out.

I bought a Refub Dell Optiplex from Walmart.com for $300, It came with W7PRO and lots of RAM.  (no Monitor)

With Pro, you can use Remote desktop connection which has (free) clients  for most OS. Even my Android phone.

The big issue with Remote Desktop is that it does not share well.  A remote client logs in and the local client is either locked out or logged out (depends on which OS).  That’s a problem if the local client is doing something (like running your show).  VNC and TeamViewer share better.

I do use RDP for some stuff at work.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

The big issue with Remote Desktop is that it does not share well.  A remote client logs in and the local client is either locked out or logged out (depends on which OS).  That’s a problem if the local client is doing something (like running your show).  VNC and TeamViewer share better.

I do use RDP for some stuff at work.

I use VNC for the same reasons, but VNC is supposed to be less secure if you are allowing WAN access to it on your network. Many corp IT ban its use.

Agreed. I bought a refurb Lenova desktop at Micro Center for $79. I plan to use it only to run the show. It's a little older but the it comes with EIGHT USB ports (6 usable; need one each for mouse and keyboard), runs Win10, and has plenty of storage.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/510352/thinkcentre-m57-desktop-computer-refurbished