Light-O-Rama Forums

Random pixels turning on then back to normal

mlkbon1

Hello

I'm running S5 software with 5 pixel controller boxes and 6 standard LOR controllers on two separate networks. My 4 channel pixel controller is acting strange and I don't really know how to fix it. During my show the 4 channel will be working just fine in sequence with all the others. Suddenly all 4 channels cut off and the first channel of the 4 turns on anywhere from 3 to 10 pixels in random colors in the first 10 positions. Then it will suddenly resink with the rest of the show and act perfectly normal. I checked the power output and it's at 11.98 volts too. Thoughts?

29 minutes ago, mlkbon1 said:

Hello

I'm running S5 software with 5 pixel controller boxes and 6 standard LOR controllers on two separate networks. My 4 channel pixel controller is acting strange and I don't really know how to fix it. During my show the 4 channel will be working just fine in sequence with all the others. Suddenly all 4 channels cut off and the first channel of the 4 turns on anywhere from 3 to 10 pixels in random colors in the first 10 positions. Then it will suddenly resink with the rest of the show and act perfectly normal. I checked the power output and it's at 11.98 volts too. Thoughts?

Great status report 👍

Was that 11.98 with the lights ON (white being the worst)?  The supply might be dying under load.  What are the specs?

8 minutes ago, mlkbon1 said:

That's with no show active but the supply being on. Are you looking for the specs on the power supply or other specs?

Specs on the power supply And  also how many nodes per port.

But, I suspect either a bad PSU or poor connections. Voltages rarely go UP under load.  I set my PSU's 5% high (12.6V) as most 12V items are =/- 10%

I tried sending the pic but it's too big. The power supply has 3 12v low voltage terminals which are adjustable, it really does not show any more specs on the front of the supply. Its a 2016 supply. I have 100 nodes per channel so it is pretty much maxed out on the board.

I'm thinking it could be the same problem I had a couple years ago when I added a couple new controllers.  I saw similar issues and discovered it was an overlap of channel IDs on one controller.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

23 minutes ago, mlkbon1 said:

I tried sending the pic but it's too big. The power supply has 3 12v low voltage terminals which are adjustable, it really does not show any more specs on the front of the supply. Its a 2016 supply. I have 100 nodes per channel so it is pretty much maxed out on the board.

I estimator 6A per 100px, so all white could peak at 24A

I would crank it up to 12.6 (since you were precise, I figure you have a DVM)

Just now, mlkbon1 said:

Would that make it random though? I'll run the verifier again, but last check I had no overlap channels.

Well if you ran the verifier and it reported no overlap, then not same problem as mine.  My issue was that two controllers were set to the same channel ID and getting commands from two different parts of the editor.

Ducks, would that blow the board going above spec? I thought u never wanted to exceed the 12v....all my other pixel controller boards are between 11.96 And 11.98, but those are 8 channel and 16 channel...the only 4 channel I have is the one giving me the biggest issues....beside my 1 8 channel that keep blowing a fuse for some unknown reason too.

Sounds like Ducks is more familiar with the controllers than I am, yet from an engineering perspective, most electronics can handle at least a 5% variation and some times more.  It doesn't have to be that precise.  You could probably go 12.25 to 12.5 easily.  And I hope you realize it is not the voltage that causes a fuse to blow.  It's the current draw.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Do I have to reduce the draw some how? I do have times when they go all white, but I do not know at what point the fuse is blowing.

59 minutes ago, mlkbon1 said:

Ducks, would that blow the board going above spec? I thought u never wanted to exceed the 12v....all my other pixel controller boards are between 11.96 And 11.98, but those are 8 channel and 16 channel...the only 4 channel I have is the one giving me the biggest issues....beside my 1 8 channel that keep blowing a fuse for some unknown reason too.

Should not be an issue. Standard computer logic is 5V =/- 5%, 12V 10%  and Automotive charge at 13.7 to 14.3 (cold weather)

But if you are blowing fuses. You are far past the point a voltage boost will change things.  Less Lights on at the same time, Less intensity.

BTW That supply MUST have a input - output spec label to be UL approved

It has a label on the top of it, but it is in a plastic case and then in a wooden box with legs to keep the snow and to keep it off the ground .I can see the 12v out and it's a standard outlet plug in, I just cant open the door to the case all the way to get a good look at the entire label.

I'll look at the programming and see if I can l bring back the intensity on the white lights, I have a feeling that is where it is happening most...whats is odd is I litteraly 43 pixel channels between all the controllers and I'm am only blowing it on one channel....make that two now on the same board....ugh, it never ends

• The topic was locked