Light-O-Rama Forums
Randytenn

Issue with low audio volume

Using S5, the volume level for the audio is much lower than previous versions.  We stayed our show, last night,  and had to put  the volume in Windows full, and the volume level is only hitting the meters at 25%.  These are the same audio files we've used for the past seven years with no issue, so it seems to be an issue with the software.  We tried it on two different computer, and had the same results. 

We then played the same mp3 files through  an mp3 player, and the volume difference was definitely higher.  

Is there something new in S5 that is reducing the volume level?   Any way to adjust it for playback?  

Have you looked at the Windows mixer, at the individual sliders for the different apps. There should be one specifically for LOR, which may have got lowered.

Has any audio setting like spacial sound or eq gotten turned on.

May also be a hardware or  a cableing issue.

If you play one of the audio files in WMP, how does it sound.

How does it sound if you plug headphones into the PC output.

To my knowledge there has never been any adjustment for audio level in any version of LOR but then again I am not on S5.

I second, The Mixer.  Each device has a individual controls that allow you to proportion (or mute) levels, with the speaker Icon, being the Master.

Yes, the mixer is the first thing we checked.  Everything is maxed.  That's where we are seeing the very low level coming from LOR vs the level from the wmp.  

As I mentioned, we've checked on three computers, and the volume from LOR is lower than the same file played in wmp. 

I took the files through mp3gain to bring the levels up a bit, but now we're  getting some distortion.  So, we're going to try to find some better sound equipment.   It's just frustrating because it's worked fine every year before.  We even ran S5 beta for the show last year. 

I can't imagine what would cause this beyond what has already been suggested. Currently, the S5 Show Player and the S4 Show Player are virtually identical.

In my personal setup I have an audio amp with volume adjustment for yard speakers and my FM transmitter also has volume control. So the volume coming out of the computer is never any issue.

Matt

• Like 1

Not any difference from S4 to S5, but during non-show hours I use Zara Radio for Christmas music on my FM station.  Even when playing the exact same mp3 file, Zara plays it over 10dB higher in volume.  I have to go into the Windows sound mixer and turn down the output from Zara Radio to match the lower volume that LOR plays.  This has been this way since I first started using Zara Radio in 2016.

2 hours ago, MattBrown said:

I can't imagine what would cause this beyond what has already been suggested. Currently, the S5 Show Player and the S4 Show Player are virtually identical.

In my personal setup I have an audio amp with volume adjustment for yard speakers and my FM transmitter also has volume control. So the volume coming out of the computer is never any issue.

Matt

Yup, I also agree.  I can't imagine that the issue is S5 software.  I also have always corrected these audio imbalances with the mixer.  Also I do the same as K6CC with Zara.

I can remember back about 25 years ago... (GAWD, 1/4 Century !!) a-hum, a-hum! Windows 95.... IRQ settings..... , when the sound card, and a comm-port  would attempt to use the same IRQ..... the sound volume would literally go to about 1/2 (guessing)....

With USB stuff I have seen weird IRQ assignments, mainly with higher value Comm ports (comm 6-9 kinda thing). No idea of what you are running this show on (other than it's windows, (Windoze) based).......

WONDERING IF re-assigning the comm port of what ever you are using would fix this issue....... (I'm gona assume a USB / RS-485 dongle), (high comm port value).

Greg  

3 hours ago, a31ford said:

I can remember back about 25 years ago... (GAWD, 1/4 Century !!) a-hum, a-hum! Windows 95.... IRQ settings..... , when the sound card, and a comm-port  would attempt to use the same IRQ.....

Thanks Greg.  I had successfully blocked out those painful memories until your post... While you're at it, why don't you bring up ThinNet Ethernet terminating resistors?   AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Expect a bill for my therapy...  :D

15 minutes ago, jtomason said:

Thanks Greg.  I had successfully blocked out those painful memories until your post... While you're at it, why don't you bring up ThinNet Ethernet terminating resistors?   AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Expect a bill for my therapy...  :D

Better Yet.... ARC-Net.. RS-485 on "special" TNC connectors

I still have a copy of CP/M on 5 1/4 SS/SD floppies.... hahahahahahaha  !!! better yet... there is an IMSI-8080 kit computer (s-100 buss) that I built in 12 grade electronics class.. as a student initiated project.. kicking around here somewhere.

Edited by a31ford

8 minutes ago, a31ford said:

Better Yet.... ARC-Net.. RS-485 on "special" TNC connectors

I still have a copy of CP/M on 5 1/4 SS/SD floppies.... hahahahahahaha  !!! better yet... there is an IMSI-8080 kit computer (s-100 buss) that I built in 12 grade electronics class.. as a student initiated project.. kicking around here somewhere.

Ow.. My head..  I remember Arcnet too..  Fortunately I am slightly too young to have played with CP/M myself, although it was around - and I actually know what it stands for.    

OK, I'm gonna drink my Geritol and go to bed now.   :D

2 minutes ago, jtomason said:

Ow.. My head..  I remember Arcnet too..  Fortunately I am slightly too young to have played with CP/M myself, although it was around - and I actually know what it stands for.    

OK, I'm gonna drink my Geritol and go to bed now.   :D

LMAO !!!

I'm still on coffee, third pot of the day,  Cheers...