Light-O-Rama Forums

mega tree topper with pully's

Greg

This year I want to hoist my topper and all the lights up with pullys since the tree is now going to be about 28 feet. I am just looking for input from anyone that has taken this approach. I did a mock up but it didn't perform as I expected.

I was using a 1/4 rope and a pulley to pull a ring up the pole. This ring holds my lights and a 24 inch star. This year I'm adding more pulleys for each segment of lights. (got too heavy last year, rope kept stretching)

I kinda have a plan now but am still looking for other suggestions. I have two pullys set up now, they are hooked to a flange. (I use 1 1/2" steel pipe) my topper with the hooks leans as it is pulled up and snags a bit. Also I am not sure of the weight, size of rope or cable I may need, and if I should use a hand winch.

Greg wrote:

I kinda have a plan now but am still looking for other suggestions.

Greg...

I came up with a pole-less system for my mega trees, and use pulleys to raise and lower the entire tree. You can find details here: http://lightsonchelsea.home.comcast.net/~lightsonchelsea/megabuild.htm

Feel free to email or PM me questions if you have them.

D.T.

Donald Puryear wrote:

I was using a 1/4 rope and a pulley to pull a ring up the pole. This ring holds my lights and a 24 inch star. This year I'm adding more pulleys for each segment of lights. (got too heavy last year, rope kept stretching)

Donald,

what kind of rope was it?

also thanks for the input to all. opened my eyes a bit and gave me a different thought on the project.

greg

Gregg

It was a nylon rope from Home Depot. This year I'm going to use 1/8 steel cable and a small winch to hoist the pulley ring/star holder to the top. Hard to believe how heavy 5600 mini lights can get.

William,

That is the approach I originally took but due to storage space my center pole has two knuckles on, so I needed to get around those thus it made topper loose and bound a bit when I pulled it up. Like I said this is a work in progress.

Thanks averyone for the input

Don't forget too with the addition of a pully or two and a bit more rope you can cut your pulling effort down a bunch. With 96 strands I think I'd use at least two. :(

Greg,

This is a photo of my setup. This year I will be replacing the rope with cable and have a winch to cranking up the lights versus pulling the rope. The top is where my star screws in and the quicklinks are for my guy cables.

Chuck

Attached files 156454=9064-100_2178_1.JPG

I have not figured out how to attach more than one photo to a post.

The following photo is my shuttle that is raised and lowered on the pipe. I pass the lifting rope back down through holes in the shuttle to help with from twisting around and possibly to keep if from binding.

Chuck

Attached files 156455=9065-100_2181_1.JPG

Chuck,

I did a few tests this weekend. I was running out of ideas when my assistant (my 6 year old son) asked to try something. He wanted to run ropes down the center pole to use to guide the shuttle up, just like in your picture. After messing around for an hour with my ideas I decided the my sons was the best. Some of the ideas he comes up with at 6 years old are unbelievable! I guess thats why he calls himself my "light buddy":D

greg

• 2 months later...

Westport,

Who are you directing your question to?

If your directing to me, I have a 4 inch pvc coupling and then it is bushed down with 3 bushings to the size of my mast. I use a dremel tool to cut out the "stop" that is in the inner most bushing that stops the pvc from going in to far. Removing the stop allows the mast to slide through the bushing and yet be a snug enough fit.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

Westport,

Who are you directing your question to?

If your directing to me, I have a 4 inch pvc coupling and then it is bushed down with 3 bushings to the size of my mast. I use a dremel tool to cut out the "stop" that is in the inner most bushing that stops the pvc from going in to far. Removing the stop allows the mast to slide through the bushing and yet be a snug enough fit.

Chuck

Sorry, Yes the question was for you.

I can see how you did it in the picture I think. But what did you use for a bushing between the pipe sizes> That's what I can't find.