Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 Lags when mixing with 4 older 16 Channel Controllers

ace22

I received Help from this Forum a few weeks ago with lag to my new Pixie 16 Mega Tree. By changing the Network to 500k  it corrected the lag issues with the sequences. Now that i have everything up, 4 older controllers 2 - CTB16PC & 2 16PC i believe version 2, & the Pixie 16. The older controllers cannot handle the 500k speed and do not work. When i had all 5 controllers plugged up at once with no light strings on the regular 16 channel controllers, the tree worked flawlessly. Now testing with all my lights plugged up into the older controllers I found they couldn't handle the 500k network, but the Mega Tree works. Here is what i have done and i cannot get the tree to stop lagging and missing seconds of sequences at a time (It goes completely black). 

Using two USB 485 adapters, 1 much older USB485b & one new High speed 485, i connected the older one as the main on com3 and the high speed one on Com 4 as AUX A. with this setup the Main lights on the older controllers work but the tree lags and misses sections of the sequence. I have 2 Ethernet runs out to my yard (Cat 5e). 

I changed it and swapped the older with Com 3 to AUX A and the High Speed to the main and i still get the lag. and even from time to time see lag in the 4 older 16 channel sequences. 

Testing by deleting the sequence timings for the 16 channel and only using the AUX A with the Pixie 16 i still get the lag. 

i have used the 4 controllers the last couple of years without issue but wanted to dive into pixels this year and its becoming a headache. 

My PC Specs (way more that required by light o rama):

4 core Xeon (3.1ghz)

14GB ram

250 gb SSd

I know its thanksgiving and everything is super busy getting their show up or with their own problems but anything helps. Thanks everyone. 

Hmm.

So one network is running old adapter and ONLY (4) older controllers are on this network.

The other network is running red hi-speed adapter and ONLY Pixie16 is on it.

Can you test each network separately using the HU? Lights function correctly?

What speed are you running on old adapter and what speed are you running on new adapter?

Does new adapter configuration have enchanced network selected? Not sure if version 4.4.0 supports enchanced network. Maybe someone else

can chime in on that one.

I have no issues running (6) old controllers, (3) dumb rgb controllers and (2) CCR's on one network at 115K and (1) Pixcon16 and (1) Pixie4 on the other network at 500K.

I am using S5 though and all my old controllers are gen3 and enchanced.

Correct as far as setup. 

Testing with HU they all function correctly.

57.6K for Older Adapter & 500.0K for the New Adapter.

i cannot check the box for Enhanced Network for either of the Networks (Option is grayed out)

I could give you advice on my set up, but not sure it would be feasible until I know more of what software and license level {providing it's LOR software} you have.   

But this is how I'm set up, {All LOR Software and Pro License}:  As I am using 4 Ver. 2 OLDER CTB16PC Controllers on an older USB RS485B adapter {LOR Regular Network, 57.6K} and RGB CCD {CCB-100 Ver. 1} Controllers on a red HS USB185 adapter at 500K, Enhanced, Aux A Network. 

And when I had older V2 CTB16PC controller{s} and the RGB Controllers on the same network, I had some serious lag times, I had to make sure there were NO older CTB16PC Controllers on the HS Network as the older CTB16PC V1 and V2 units can not run above 57.6K reliably.  So they {CTB16PC} have to be all on their own 57.6K Regular LOR Network with NO RGB controllers attached to them in any way.  And the RGB Lights are all on their own Network, again 500K, Enhanced, Aux A Network.   Once I did this, then all my lag times went away and everything functions normally.

I updated my info for you guys, thanks so much for the input so far. I see you guys have the the 500k network setup to Enhanced. is there a reason i cannot check that box when setting up the networks?

Ok so I found that you must have a Pro License to use the Enhanced Network. Do you guys think this is the reason that the lag is appearing. I could see that maybe except that when everything was on one Com on one network it worked fine, (except i didnt know the 4 older controllers were not working). 

1 hour ago, ace22 said:

57.6K for Older Adapter & 500.0K for the New Adapter.

From what I am reading of these post your setup *seems* right.

You may have tried these but here' s a couple of thoughts I had.

What happens if you change the new adapter speed to 115K run both networks, is there still lag on all controllers?

What happens if you only run the 57.6K network by itself, is there any lag on those older controllers?

What happens if you only run the 500K network by itself, does the pixie lag?

Alan...

How many pixels are you running on the Pixie?  Does the lag only seem to happen in sections of sequences where there is a LOT iof light changes happening?  Or to put that another way, when the lights are not changing much, does it keep up OK?

And yes, you have to have a Pro level license to use Enhanced networking.  Switching to Enhanced networking substantially increases the throughput on a LOR network.  Try switching the Pixie network to 1000K speed.  Some documentation says that the Pixie controllers can operate at 1000K and some some says only 500K.  I have never heard a finite answer to that one.  If it works at all, it should make it better if network congestion is the issue.  It your Pixie can't operate at 1000K speed, it's easy to change it back to 500K speed.

I agree with Alan, that your configuration seems quite reasonable. 

I tried that 115K on my older V2 CTB16PC controllers, I had issues with songs and lights being skipped as the sequence played.   It's why all 4 of mine are on a single LOR Network separate from the RGB Controllers. All my CTB16PC Controllers are all on LOR Regular Network and 56.7K speed and they never miss a beat, but if I try and use anything faster than that, I get the aforementioned skipping issues.  My Smart RGB lights, 5 CCB-100 V1 Controllers are all on an 500K Enhanced Aux A Network and no lag times from ANY Controllers.

I'd suggest the OP upgrade to PRO so they can use the Enhanced option, when I just had Advanced and couldn't use Enhanced for the RGB Controllers, they did lag behind, just not as bad before I could use Enhanced.   Seems that option is almost a necessity to prevent lag times, especially with RGB Smart Lighting. 

Just my experience and observations.

And from what I read, only the Pixie 16 is capable of 1,000K speeds, but a Pixie 16 should be set to Enhanced Network for best performance{Pro License} , all other Pixies are no higher than 500K {Pixie 4, 8} from what I've read on them.

Thanks Everyone for the Help, i upgraded to Pro and that seems to have corrected the issue with the two separate networks at different speeds. It would appear that Enhanced network is needed. I truly do appreciate everyone's quick responses on a busy holiday for all of us spreading the Christmas spirit. Thanks Again

• The topic was locked