Light-O-Rama Forums

"Tune To" Sign Help!!!

DisneyMatt10

Hey all!! Quick question for you!! - This is my first year using light up (AC channel) "Tune To:" signs.... And I'm wondering how I can  go about having them always on (and not flash off and come back on at the end of each song) and NOT stay on well after the show stops??

Never worked with these, and never tried to do something like this so I have no idea how to make this happen!! So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
~Matt

^ How do I know how long to make the sequence, and will the animation sequence turn off when the show goes from "show mode" to static display?

Just now, DisneyMatt10 said:

^ How do I know how long to make the sequence, and will the animation sequence turn off when the show goes from "show mode" to static display?

Any length.  It will simply repeat.  IT will play as long as the show is playing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Little_b said:

Create an Animation sequence with just the sign, then use that sequence in the Background part of your show.

This is exactly what I did. Works perfect. 

Sounds like I need to get to work figuring this out! Thank you all! I knew you all would have an answer for me!

Don't waste a channel on a sign. I use  a programmable timer that I got for around $15 at Home Depot that I can set what time it goes on and off. Been working great for about 3 years now.

Tom

Edited by TBS99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TBS99 said:

Don't waste a channel on a sign. I use  a programmable timer that I got for around $15 at Home Depot that I can set what time it goes on and off. Been working great for about 3 years now.

I used one channel for my Tune To signs for 2014 & 2015, then six channels for 2016 & 2017 (each light box was a RGB channel set).  This year, my two Tune To signs will be using a total of 55,296 channels - a P5 matrix and a P10 matrix.

Matrix_panels_hanging_close-up.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TBS99 said:

Tom

Bingo- that’s how I always did it.

This year though I built an 8x20 mini matrix tune to sign 

JR

7 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I used one channel for my Tune To signs for 2014 & 2015, then six channels for 2016 & 2017 (each light box was a RGB channel set).  This year, my two Tune To signs will be using a total of 55,296 channels - a P5 matrix and a P10 matrix.

Just awesome Jim

JR

23 hours ago, TBS99 said:

Tom

I've done it both ways over the years.  As I convert more to pixels, I've had AC channels open up that I haven't been using.

My first two years, I took a piece of plywood about 18 x 24 inches and spray painted one side a dark color.  After that dried, I took 1 inch wide blue painters tape and laid out the desired letters.  Then spray painted the signs white.  After that dried, peeled off the blue tape to expose the dark paint.  Add a couple wood stakes to hold them up.  Point a white light at the signs.  Did that on opening day because I needed something.  The photo below shows the sign in the foreground.

2014_6_arches.jpg

For the next couple years, I built a pair of light boxes with dumb RGB strip to light them up.  The letters are just stick on letters.

Tune_To_in_daylight.jpg

Tune_To_3.jpg

TuneTo_cyan.jpg

This year I built the P5 and P10 matrix panels seen a few posts above.

So a sign can be very simple to very complex.

On 11/21/2018 at 10:03 PM, k6ccc said:

Do you use the panels for anything else other than a tune to sign?  Incorporate it into your songs/sequences with flashy graphics?  If not then that is an extravagant Tune To / Song Info sign.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

On 11/21/2018 at 1:16 PM, DisneyMatt10 said:

Hey all!! Quick question for you!! - This is my first year using light up (AC channel) "Tune To:" signs.... And I'm wondering how I can  go about having them always on (and not flash off and come back on at the end of each song) and NOT stay on well after the show stops??

Never worked with these, and never tried to do something like this so I have no idea how to make this happen!! So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
~Matt

Little surprised you went the non pixel route.  Used 100 bullet nodes to make my 89.1 FM sign with coro from Home Depot and it only took a couple of hours.  Spray painted the coro a sparkly green color after drilling the holes for the nodes.  Popped the nodes in and mounted the coro to a 2x4 frame with a few screws and done.  Mine does go off and on with each song but I do incorporate it somewhat during my sequences using different colors and sparkly effects.

My sign with a spot light tied into the timer for my "always on" decorations (sleigh, deer, etc). Got my wife involved....she cut out all the letters from self adhesive vinyl using her Cricut, Then we stuck them on a piece of white foam board and covered with clear contact paper. The second we covered the station number I realized it will be a pain if I have to change it, but hopefully it will work this year, too.  

sign.jpg

4 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Do you use the panels for anything else other than a tune to sign?  Incorporate it into your songs/sequences with flashy graphics?  If not then that is an extravagant Tune To / Song Info sign.

At this point, essentially no - just text.  During the songs, the display cycles between four displays - 1) the song title, artist and Tune To information you see above, 2) a message about using MIIIP to control the show, 3) a more explicit version of the Tune To info, 4) and the show website in this order:  1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4, 1.  It the song is short, it won't get all the way through that.  This year was KISS principal because I had a huge amount of changes sequencing to make because of many hardware changes to the show.  Next year, there may be more involved uses of the matrixes.