Light-O-Rama Forums

App for fm transmitter

Torrao6730

I've not ever found one or the iPhone (I've looked several times)....only found something that would play specific broadcasts that repeat over the internet...not able to pick a specific station number. Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion that works. Partly, I believe it is because the phone has no FM antenna.

Some phones DO have FM chips.  My Galaxy S8 does and the S7 did too. Most however, do not. A google search should reveal any that have FM capability.

NextRadio for Android is an FM tuner app which works with FM capable phones, and works quite well. I use it for testing my transmitter during setup. Just like an FM radio.

Internet or Bluetooth apps will have far to much latency and will be out of sync with the show audio, which after all is the whole point.

1 hour ago, jamills706 said:

I've not ever found one or the iPhone (I've looked several times)....only found something that would play specific broadcasts that repeat over the internet...not able to pick a specific station number. Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion that works. Partly, I believe it is because the phone has no FM antenna.

My (older) Moto phones required a cable plugged into the Earphone jack befor the FM would work.  The RCA patch cord should suffice, unless they are really looking at the impedence. (I suspect the Headpiece detected Icon will show)

Typically the headphone cord is the FM antenna, and the radio app wont work without the headphones plugged in. Not sure if an RCA to mini jack would be detected as an antenna. As you say, probably an impedance thing.

This of course will disqualify the new phones which are discarding the headpone jack. What ARE they thinking. ( Bring back the phone jack)

29 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Typically the headphone cord is the FM antenna, and the radio app wont work without the headphones plugged in. Not sure if an RCA to mini jack would be detected as an antenna. As you say, probably an impedance thing.

This of course will disqualify the new phones which are discarding the headphone jack. What ARE they thinking. ( Bring back the phone jack)

It was absurd, I couldn't listen to the Radio on my BT earpiece (which met the hands free requirements when driving) and a lot easier to wear whil working on things.

16 hours ago, Torrao6730 said:

Is there an app for walkers to use so that can listen to the fm transmitter from their cell phone?

Most are chasing Pokemons on their phone. Wouldn’t want to interfere. So I use this speaker. It’s great. 

https://wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=24&Product=513

44 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Most are chasing Pokemons on their phone. Wouldn’t want to interfere. So I use this speaker. It’s great. 

https://wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=24&Product=513

I'm using that one too.  In fact it was probably you who suggested it to me lol.  If our display ever wraps around to the back of the house I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one for the back.

My husband and I wrap a super old boombox from the 1990s in a black plastic bag that we hide behind our shrubs, and have it set to the station we use for our transmitter.  When the show timer clicks on, the stereo is just loud enough that someone on the sidewalk can hear the music, but not so loud that my neighbors can hear it from inside their homes.  We've done that since we started having a musical show, and it works well for us.