Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter issue

Awoinski

I am using 3 ION Pathfinder speakers with FM radio for outdoor sound.  Up until a couple of days ago, I had no problem locating speakers in 3 different locations, including one across the Street.    A couple of days ago I started getting static on the speakers and last night the one across the street would not pick up the signal.   It was fine when I moved I within 50 feet of the antenna, which is in the garage.   My friend had no problem listening in his car across the street.

Does the cold change things with the antenna reach?

Weather shouldn't really affect a hobbyist FM transmitter, mine has never been affected by cold, heat, or rainy conditions at all.

FM Transmitters if I recall correctly ARE NOT supposed to transmit more than about 200 feet from the transmitter.  I'd have to go look up the rules again to know the exact distance, but I know they are not supposed to transmit very far, as if the are given more range they can interfere with commercial licensed FM stations.   Sometimes if one over transmits, I forget what it's called, but you have to put a device between the antenna and transmitter to keep it from broadcasting out too far.   I had to put one on mine for a few years until it finally burned in and now doesn't transmit as far as it did when I first bought it.

If it does and interferes with any local and even distant stations that someone may listen to and someone complains about it, you will probably get a visit from the guys in black suits {FCC} and believe me you do not want that to happen.

FM Transmitters were supposedly designed to cover a small area of ones own yard, but they tend to get out a little further than they should at times.  Some have a way to adjust the power output so that it can be turned down and not transmit as far.

Placement of where I installed it, now that DID affect how far it could get.  I now keep mine indoors in my house and low to the floor, about 3' up from floor level in the lowest part of the house, this keeps mine from transmitting as far, now if I put it outside and near the roof line, I'd have to add that device back on mine, because the higher it is and especially outdoors, seems the further it's capable of transmitting.

Just some general info, as many folks come into this and get a transmitter that may trasnmit further than the FCC Rules and laws allow, so you have to be careful in this part of our hobby.

The moisture content of the Air changes how much signal is absorbed (reduces distance).

The type of transmission antenna affects the 'pattern' of where the power goes. A simple dipole (rubber ducky) distributes all around.  on the other end: A Yaggi type pin points. the signal.  A typical 'City' VHF (Analog era TV with only a couple of elements) antenna, directs it forward

Keep as few objects as possible between your target and the xmitter. High up tends to be better

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

The moisture content of the Air changes how much signal is absorbed (reduces distance).

The type of transmission antenna affects the 'pattern' of where the power goes. A simple dipole (rubber ducky) distributes all around.  on the other end: A Yaggi type pin points. the signal.  A typical 'City' VHF (Analog era TV with only a couple of elements) antenna, directs it forward

Keep as few objects as possible between your target and the xmitter. High up tends to be better

Hmmm, yes, I guess in theory that is entirely correct about moisture content.  Having said that, with my little transmitter, I've never noticed any distance reduction whether snow, rain, or low humidity and dry.

• The topic was locked