Light-O-Rama Forums

Which LED'S work best

Ralph A

Madhatter wrote:

Makes note not to buy from ledholiday lighting...ignores questions.
You'd have to be pretty poor sighted to not tell the difference between incandecent and led. They are a lot brighter, sharper, flickery, was pointing out to someone last night which ones in town are led and which ones are incandescents. Even the warm light led's you can tell, not as much but you can.

Hmmm, my experience with LedHolidayLighting was superb. I called and emailed many times over last 3 months and received prompt replies... often within minutes! The LEDs look wonderful, price was good, and only a few channels needed snubbers. It was unexpected, yet with most other LEDs I've had to use snubbers on every channel depending on the supplier. Overall, I am happy and will buy again. And actually, I think it is a nice customer service gesture to offer snubbers to the customers that might have issues.

You, I, and others can tell the difference between LEDs, but the general public seems pretty dumb about what they look like or what they are.

dotyb wrote:

The thing about LED’s that the wife and I do not like is that they are to bright, intense colors, electronic feeling to them. They do not have that warm Christmas feeling. Maybe we have not seen the right ones or do they make some that are more warmer to the eyes?

You are not alone I feel the same way. They just don't have the traditional look to them. They are rather cool looking but not my style. So you really can't mix them in well with incandescent without people noticing.

So on that note I am wanting to replace my C9s with the LED C9s ones here....

http://www.actionlighting.com/item-detail.asp?ID=2114&MainCategory=L.E.D.&Sub=LED%20Specialty%20Bulbs

Now I know it is not the one pictured, but it says warm white. Is this the traditional incandescent clear color? If so that is what I am looking for because I don't like that soft white LED look. Also does anyone have any experience with these. I wish they would take pics of them lit up so you could see.

These would be perfect if it is what I am looking for. My house uses 14 strands of C9 so that is 21 amps right off the bat right there. If I could go to these LED replacements with my strands I could save channels and it would only pull not even a full amp. Gotta love that!!!

LED 3 color rope light dimming question...

For my house this year I bought 164 reel of 3 color LED rope light, like this link:

http://www.birddogdistributing.com/color-changing-rope-light-controller-p-766.html led-rgb-cut-end-small.jpg

It comes with a very minimal controller, that I never used, but I did notice that the plugin cord adaptor had a bridge recitifer, similar to this one:

259688.jpgRECTIFIER,NTE170,BR8D,SI 1000V,2A,SINGLE PHASE,BRIDGE

The rope light specs are:

Energy efficient--only consumes 1.5 watts per foot and is Dimmable (65 feet equals 98 watts)

My setup: I use the lightorama 16 channel controller. When i tested it i used a 10 foot strand and it was dimmable. This long strand, rather these two 65' long strands plugged into the same circuit, do not dim, but go out completely at an intensity setting of about 5%. I've experimented a bit and see that if i only use one length of the 65 foot section, it will dim, but when i use them both, it wont dim. i suspect the watts max out the triac's.

remember, there is no bridge rectifier in my wiring, i just go right into the rope lite.

Options: buy another controller to be able to accomodate the 3 extra channels needed, or inquire of you if some sort of diode, snubber or rectifier would work.

ps, i converted my 32 channel mega tree to LED's this year, and couldn't be happier. Travis at seasonal impressions is great.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

dotyb wrote:
The thing about LED’s that the wife and I do not like is that they are to bright, intense colors, electronic feeling to them. They do not have that warm Christmas feeling. Maybe we have not seen the right ones or do they make some that are more warmer to the eyes?

That is an interesting comment. I know what you mean. All I can say is that of the visitors that come to my house and see the outside display, they love the color and few of them can determine for sure if they are LED or not. For our indoor Christmas tree, we prefer to use incandescant lights that give more of the "warm" look that you are talking about (tungston filaments that generate more light in the low red spectrum).

An up, power savings are HUGE.... less than 20% of the energy consumed by incandescant.

I'm just coming back in to say I recently saw some LEDs that might change your opinion about how LEDs don't have that warm look?

Yesterday I got a sample of several rugged individual LED bulbs that screw into various size bases. Serveral of them were C7 & C9. When I plugged them in I was to surprised to see a nicer warm glow to those bulbs. It had me fooled for a second into thinking maybe they were not LED bulbs. The impression I got is that maybe these bulbs are not yet available for sale, so you might have to wait until next year. It will be interested to see how much these things cost and what people think about them.

There is a shopping center down the street from me that is using C9 LEDs and they are white but they are a true white instead of that bluish white. I could handle those if they are not the warm white. I just don't like those ones that have the bluish tent. I just would like to know where I could find some like those that would work.

I've got some LEDs that are brown and stopped the section working, looks like rust. If its's just one can i just cut it out and reconnect or will I have to change the resistor do you think? Most annoying, I've never had any like that before. It's just one on this set but the other three matching sets have a few sections out. I'd like to get this set working to loan out.
by the way these were expensive, some of the cheap ones have been left out all year and work fine so cost is no indicator.