Light-O-Rama Forums

Controllers not seeing each other

davidpd4

I've been using the same 7 controller setup for several years with no issues, however this year I cannot get two of my controllers recognized when I run the Hardware Utility. Configuration: Controllers 1 and 2 on the roof, Controllers 3, 4, and 5 in the garage, and Controllers 6 and 7 in the yard. Controller #1 feeds to #2, then #1 feeds to #3 then to #4 then to #5 = if I stop here and connect #5 to my laptop (via the USB485) I get all five controllers visible (great). However if I continue and connect #5 to #7 to #6 and then #6 to the laptop the Hardware Utility only recognizes controllers #6 and #7. I am 95% confident this is the same setup I have done every year but am I getting older so who knows. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

One additional thing to add, if I connect controllers #1 and #2 to #6 then #7 (bypassing controllers 3, 4, and 5) I still only see controllers #6 and #7. Here are the versions in case this makes a difference: #1 and #2 - version 4.02

#3, #4, and #5 - version 4.30

#6 and #7 -  version 1.09

4 hours ago, davidpd4 said:

Controller #1 feeds to #2, then #1 feeds to #3 then to #4 then to #5

Controller 2 should be feeding 3, 4 and 5.

Thanks but that still didn't work. I now have them all connected in order, 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 to 7. Only 1-5 are being recognized.

36 minutes ago, davidpd4 said:

Thanks but that still didn't work. I now have them all connected in order, 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 to 7. Only 1-5 are being recognized.

Having them in order does not matter, but the way you first described it, you had the network split (like a "Y").  That is a Bozo No No with an RS-485 network.  However, based on what you are reporting, I suspect either a bad cable between 5 & 6 or a RJ-45 jack problem on controller 5.  Pull the cable and inspect the cable or better yet, test it if you have a Cat-5 cable tester.  Also visually inspect the RJ-45 jacks on controller 5.  You are looking for obviously damaged or mis-aligned pins or the connector loose on the PC board.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Having them in order does not matter, but the way you first described it, you had the network split (like a "Y").  That is a Bozo No No with an RS-485 network.  However, based on what you are reporting, I suspect either a bad cable between 5 & 6 or a RJ-45 jack problem on controller 5.  Pull the cable and inspect the cable or better yet, test it if you have a Cat-5 cable tester.  Also visually inspect the RJ-45 jacks on controller 5.  You are looking for obviously damaged or mis-aligned pins or the connector loose on the PC board.

I agree with Jim, now that I reread the OP. You could see 1-5, made a change or two then you could see 6 & 7. Sounds like a faulty cable between 5 & 6. I purchased a cat5 cable tester years ago and it's been a life saver in this hobby. But I still don't trust the HU.

Edited by Santas Helper

Thanks for the help everyone! After buying a cable tester and spending hours testing each cable and rerunning the entire configuration I determined I have two controllers with bad RJ45 jacks. I was able to get everything connected by bypassing the jacks and using the RJ11 jacks....whew! Guess I'll add this to my list of projects for after Christmas. 

39 minutes ago, davidpd4 said:

Thanks for the help everyone! After buying a cable tester and spending hours testing each cable and rerunning the entire configuration I determined I have two controllers with bad RJ45 jacks. I was able to get everything connected by bypassing the jacks and using the RJ11 jacks....whew! Guess I'll add this to my list of projects for after Christmas. 

Glad you were able to get it all up and working.  Yep, a post Christmas repair project....

On 11/14/2018 at 1:37 PM, k6ccc said:

That is a Bozo No No with an RS-485 network.

ROFL, to paraphrase Mega Arch, I blew snot rockets of Diet Peach Snapple out of my nose when I read that. 😤

To the OP, I'm not laughing at you, just Jim's technical description. 🤣

Alan...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, default said:

ROFL, to paraphrase Mega Arch....

Alan...

He blew snot rockets? LOL

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

He blew snot rockets? LOL

different thread - long ago....

Edited by Mega Arch
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, davidpd4 said:

Glad you found the issues and a temporary work around!

There is a good chance that the pins inside the jacks are out of place and not making contact when you plug the cable in. I had this issue with one of mine. I took a very fine point pick and very carefully popped the pins back into place and it's good as new.

• The topic was locked