Light-O-Rama Forums

RF-V5 Wireless

SgtGator

I just got my first Basic Package (1 controller, 16 channels) and a pair of RF-V5 Wireless Modules. Do I need to use both of them or will one suffice? (small yard)  Also, the directions for the RF-V5 show two cables coming from the RF-V5. Do I use both?  Thanks!! Been looking forward to doing this for a long time :-)

Well, if you only use one, it has no one to talk to. It'll just be there on it's own with no one to talk to (or get instructions from.)

And yes, if the instructions show two, then you need to use two. Where did the instructions say to connect the two wires?

Computer to RS485 adapter, RS485 Adapter to first Light Linker via Cat5 cable sitting in a window, outside, place 2nd light linker so that it can SEE the other interior one inside by the window, run cat5 cable from 2nd light linker to your controller so that the 1st light linker talks to #2 and it to your controller outside.

You may need an external power supply for the outside light linker.  You may also need an external power supply for the inside light linker as well.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

A USB485B or a controller within 25' can provide power for the ELLs.

I have a USB RS485B because I started using an DC-MP3 Director unit and it could power it.  But I wasn't sure if it or a controller could power the ELL's directly without some added power boost to the line.  Sometimes sharing power is good, sometimes not so good, all depends on the item being powered.

Don, the instructions didn't show where the two wires go. It just showed two wire coming out of the module.

Orville, thanks! That explains a lot.

1 hour ago, SgtGator said:

Don, the instructions didn't show where the two wires go. It just showed two wire coming out of the module.

Orville, thanks! That explains a lot.

Glad to help when I can.  I don't own any ELL's as yet, but seriously thinking of getting a couple as that would be much easier than the way I'm running cat cables outside to my display at the moment. 

So I've done a lot of reading up on them, and to see how they are used and set-up by reading others posts here in the forums on them.  That has helped me a lot to understand how they function and how to connect them when I finally do get a couple to start with!.