Light-O-Rama Forums

Cost-benefit of CCB vs LED strings?

dansamy

For this year, I'm using 3 individual color strings of LEDs for my windows and my roof. They are Walmart cheapos that I DON'T expect to last for more than a couple years. I was considering the CCBs vs commercial LEDs for next year. I currently use 2x 100ct strands per roof section and 1 100ct strand per window, which is a little long. The windows would be fine with 70ct strands. Looking at commercial strands, they cost about $15-25/strand and I would need 24 strands, 8 each of red/green/blue. For CCBs, I would probably need 4 of the 50ct for the windows and 2 of the 100ct. During a sale, that could be around $600, which isn't a LOT different from buying the separate colors of commercial LEDs. Will the CCBs hold up as well as commercial LEDs? I know there's a lot more flexibility with them. 

4 hours ago, dansamy said:

For this year, I'm using 3 individual color strings of LEDs for my windows and my roof. They are Walmart cheapos that I DON'T expect to last for more than a couple years. I was considering the CCBs vs commercial LEDs for next year. I currently use 2x 100ct strands per roof section and 1 100ct strand per window, which is a little long. The windows would be fine with 70ct strands. Looking at commercial strands, they cost about $15-25/strand and I would need 24 strands, 8 each of red/green/blue. For CCBs, I would probably need 4 of the 50ct for the windows and 2 of the 100ct. During a sale, that could be around $600, which isn't a LOT different from buying the separate colors of commercial LEDs. Will the CCBs hold up as well as commercial LEDs? I know there's a lot more flexibility with them. 

You may be surprised how long the Wal-Mart lights last. Ive had some that are over 10 years old. And I do not handle them with kid gloves. My C7 and C9's get pulled from the roof and for some its about a 50' drop in to the bushes. Occasionally one will break or the cover come off. Snap back in place and good to go.

This year though I am adding nodes to the roof and outline. Hopefully 2017 was the last for LED's with the exception of all of my singers and some small props.

Just remember once in the rgb game, there is really no turning back. LOL

JR 

Edited by dibblejr

My (cheap) LED string failures were all because of RUSTED LED leads. Seems, they dont seal the wires into the socket. Even with me bringing them inside and leaving them powered in the living room for 48hrs, 3 years and the leads fall off multiple bulbs. Ironic, since some of my cheaper Inca minis don't have that problem and are still working.

You should think about Dumb (12V, not as sensitive to wire length ) RGB bullets. Less wire bulk. Low voltage (no GFCI trips).  and you get your choice of color, while being almost as easy to program as your AC controller.

5 hours ago, dansamy said:

I got bit by the RGB bug a long time ago.   You mentioned flexibility but dont seem to be giving it much weight in your decision.   Pixels will let you choose any color and simultaneous multi color.   You can chase bulbs around the window and other effects which should be considered in this comparison. 

Years ago I spent a lot of time building the super strings and all the Blue strings started failing which meant I had to rebuild the strings.   That had me mad for a few years while I accumulated pixels.   But then I decided my show needed some old style lights and I went back to purchase LED strings and AC controllers for them.   I call this my 'retro' matrix and it turns out to be the most expensive prop I have.   The per channel cost is higher and it is quite limited in what it can do in comparison but I still love it.     Still,  my recommendation would be to go with pixels which will up your show wow factor a LOT compared to super strings. 

41 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

I got bit by the RGB bug a long time ago.   You mentioned flexibility but dont seem to be giving it much weight in your decision.   Pixels will let you choose any color and simultaneous multi color.   You can chase bulbs around the window and other effects which should be considered in this comparison. 

Years ago I spent a lot of time building the super strings and all the Blue strings started failing which meant I had to rebuild the strings.   That had me mad for a few years while I accumulated pixels.   But then I decided my show needed some old style lights and I went back to purchase LED strings and AC controllers for them.   I call this my 'retro' matrix and it turns out to be the most expensive prop I have.   The per channel cost is higher and it is quite limited in what it can do in comparison but I still love it.     Still,  my recommendation would be to go with pixels which will up your show wow factor a LOT compared to super strings. 

Dang, thought I was gonna see a pic of the "retro matrix". LOL

JR

Foreground.   Right in front by the sidewalk.    All white LED M5 wrapped around wireframes to about 5x5 inch square.

4 rows and 24 columns.   96 channels on 6 controllers.  All SPT wiring harnesses. 

https://vimeo.com/194307106/8c57b3e1f6 

https://vimeo.com/249270040/8fb1398e5b

https://vimeo.com/148192966/b246f1aeba

Edited by ItsMeBobO

12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Just remember once in the rgb game, there is really no turning back. LOL

JR 

That's what I'm afraid of. What's the difference in the CCC-II and the pixie and the pixcon controllers? 

9 minutes ago, dansamy said:

That's what I'm afraid of. What's the difference in the CCC-II and the pixie and the pixcon controllers? 

Ease of use. The pixie is by far the easiest LOR pixel controller as well as considerable price difference.

JR

34 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Ease of use. The pixie is by far the easiest LOR pixel controller as well as considerable price difference.

JR

So why do they sell 3 different types of controllers? And what's the difference in the CCBs and the bulbs you can get with the pixie/pixcon? Why do the cosmic color controllers only control a few strings? 

8 minutes ago, dansamy said:

So why do they sell 3 different types of controllers? And what's the difference in the CCBs and the bulbs you can get with the pixie/pixcon? Why do the cosmic color controllers only control a few strings? 

1- LOR wanted to offer a pixel controller that was more affordable and easier to use.

2- Different controllers for flexibility. The same as a 2 and 4 door car. Some may need it and some may not.

You can compare the controllers on the LOR store page. Difference is in the packages and what size bulbs you need. I believe both the pixie and the pixcon control 170 nodes per string.  The pixcon is more difficult to set up and learn but adds features that the pixies don't have,

You can control any of the RGB strings/ ribbons with the pixie or pixcon - as long as the voltage is correct. 5v or 12v. That is very important.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
pixel controller

These pixels are known as Square and Bullet (CCP).    They need a mounting strip so they can be pointed towards the viewing area.    If they twist and point away they wont be seen. 

50-square-pixels-5v-black-12.gif 12v-green-bullet-pixels-50-count-with-en  Used more for tree shaped multi strand props or matrix.    5V is up to 50 on a strand 6" apart.   Two stands on Pixie II  is 50 feet.  12v can be up to 100 and two stands is 100 feet.

This is a C9 pixel Bulb (CCB)  pixel which has a reflector cover.   It can be seen from any viewing angle. 

12v-green-rgb-bulbs-50-count-4.gif  For outlining a roofline or window without a mounting strip this is easiest. 

This is a Ribbon or Strip.  (CCR).    Has a wide viewing angle but it is one sided.   Needs mounting and is not meant to be handled a lot.  

black-cosmic-color-ribbon-ii-ccr-iib-5.g   Often used for Arches or windowss.   Has very dense (close together) leds and is very bright.    5 meters long 16 feet 4 inches.  Can be cut  to size every 4 inches.

Edited by ItsMeBobO
fixed mislabeled type